Shoaib Malik’s Comment

Posted: 16 years ago

I was very disappointed to hear Malik say this "First of all I'd like to thank people back home and the Muslims around the world."  Is he implying that Muslims around the world should be supporting Pakistan?  As an Indian Muslim, I found this a little offensive.  My parents were both born and raised in India.  Why should I cheer for Pakistan?  Team India always has my support.

Maybe I'm overreacting and he didn't mean it that way....but I just wanted to share my initial reaction.

i am in UK nd i am supporting thm...he sed it for the ppl for us who r not in pak bt still supporting ismein kya hua?? ab woh thanku bhi na kare to the ppl who supported thm? 😕 😕 okay thn... 😕
no offense....but i really dont know how anyone cud find that offensive..seriously! 😕 ..

at the end, Malik is representing a Muslim state...whatever he said cud be misintrepeted but im positively sure that every person understood Malik's words! ..im sure he wanted to say Pakistanis and mabe he just said Muslims instead!!!....its not like Malik wanted to create chaos here or anyhting..

but i honestly dont know how anyone cud find that offensive, especially considering that Malik is representing Pakistan, a 95% Muslim nation..he surely menat Pakistanis rather!...sum ppl myt have gotton confused here but im sure everyone sumwhere understood the context of what Malik meant...theres really no need to create a thread for this though..no offense, but thats what i think!!

Originally posted by sateera_angad

i am in UK nd i am supporting thm...he sed it for the ppl for us who r not in pak bt still supporting ismein kya hua?? ab woh thanku bhi na kare to the ppl who supported thm? 😕 😕 okay thn... 😕

If he wanted to thank Pakistanis living abroad, that's completely fine (I am an India supporter, born and raised in the US), but why bring religion into it?  It's not necessary that all Muslims are Pakistan supporters...and it is also not necessary that all Pakistan supporters are Muslim.  I really feel that there was an agenda behind his comments, otherwise he would have just thanked all supporters in general.

Originally posted by mini2390

no offense....but i really dont know how anyone cud find that offensive..seriously! 😕 ..

at the end, Malik is representing a Muslim state...whatever he said cud be misintrepeted but im positively sure that every person understood Malik's words! ..im sure he wanted to say Pakistanis and mabe he just said Muslims instead!!!....its not like Malik wanted to create chaos here or anyhting..

but i honestly dont know how anyone cud find that offensive, especially considering that Malik is representing Pakistan, a 95% Muslim nation..he surely menat Pakistanis rather!...sum ppl myt have gotton confused here but im sure everyone sumwhere understood the context of what Malik meant...theres really no need to create a thread for this though..no offense, but thats what i think!!

I'm just saying what I feel.  And I don't think he meant Pakistanis because he said "people back home AND the Muslims around the world."  And just to make it clear, I'm not the only one who feels this way...I have gotten similar responses from people on other boards. 

But anyway, I don't mean to create any trouble.  I just think Malik should be more careful with his comments next time.  If Mod feel that this post will get too contentious, feel free to close it.  I just wanted to share my feelings.

Edited by .:.Suhana.:. - 16 years ago
^^^...i understand what u mean but ur making it seem as if Malik said it to cause problems, when im sure u really do know what Malik meant.. i know ur stating ur opinion..but the way u have called it "offensive" is actually amusing because when one does know what the context of Malik's words really were but even then one tends to call it offensive is very hard to believe.

firstly, this isnt the first time Malik mentioned "Muslims", and not Pakistanis.. before the final started, Malik said on Pak tv, since this is the holy month of Ramadan, he wants Muslims all over the world to pray for Pak, if they want us to win..he clearly said this before the final in urdu on Pak tv..now, if one thinks that Malik shudnt bring religion in here..then what may the purpose be behind Malik stating Muslims live on national tv, on a Pak channel, to the Pakistani Muslims only!... was that intentional?..i really dont think so....why cudnt he just say Pakisatnis and not Muslims...im pretty sure only Pak Muslims heard that and no one else, as it was on a Pak channel but even then Malik said that!..

overall, ur entiteled to what u think..its perfectly fine..but this is what i think..and im pretty sure that logically that Pakistani supprt Pak and Indains support India, regardless of anything..and keeping this fact in mind, i still find it hard to ebliev as to how anyone cud think malik's comment wa soffensive..especially when we all sumwhere know what he meant..it wasnt a negative comment at all, in any way.
and just to clear things here more.....if sumoen states that Pak is an Islmaic nation..so does that mean we are beign offensive towards every other relgious group/sect in Pak??? 😕 ...no, merely not!...it simply means, Pak is a rather Muslim state in majority, hence Islamic!..

keeping this logic in mind, i hope one gets what i mean and what Malik meant as well!! Edited by mini2390 - 16 years ago

Originally posted by mini2390

overall, ur entiteled to what u think..its perfectly fine..but this is what i think..and im pretty sure that logically that Pakistani supprt Pak and Indains support India, regardless of anything..and keeping this fact in mind, i still find it hard to ebliev as to how anyone cud think malik's comment wa soffensive..especially when we all sumwhere know what he meant..it wasnt a negative comment at all, in any way.

You are entitled to your own opinion, but honestly, I am still not convinced that he meant no harm.  I don't believe he should be appealing for support from "Muslims all over the world" whether on television or after the match. 

I also think your logic comparing my post with Pakistan being called an Islamic nation is flawed.  I understand that the majority of Pakistan is Muslim and Pakistan functions by Islamic law, but it's not the other way around.  A majority of "Muslims around the world" (using Malik's words) are not Pakistani...and thus have no reason for supporting the Pakistani team (unless they are fans of course). 

Anyway, my being offended by his comments does not affect you, so I don't think you should imply that I have no reason to be offended.  I will continue to find the comments offensive unless I somehow become convinced that his intention was only to appeal to Pakistani Muslims...and even still, I think he shouldn't have excluded the minorities in Pakistan itself.

well, its perfectly fine if anyone considers it offensive.. but being a Pak fan/supporter when I heard Malik say that i fully understood exactly what he meant..and then one shud luk at it from both sides, like i mentioned above...it cud have slipped from his mouth accidently.... when he really just meant Pakistanis!..

but even then, just how u find this all rather offensive, i find it rather amusing as to how that one comment cud be taken so offensively when there are so many other things we tend to ignore when it comes to religion, sect and race!...

so i stick to my opinion..that Malik wasnt being offensive or rude to anyone! Edited by mini2390 - 16 years ago
u guys r so piky u make a big deal out of suming small. plz grow up.