Son of the Indian Congress queen
There was an election that really was gone
Ra ra Rahul
Indian Congress's greatest vote machine

Rahul joins Cong top brass, appointed Gen Secy

CNN-IBN

TimePublished on Monday , September 24, 2007 at 14:33 in Nation section

TagsTag

New Delhi: The Congress on Monday appointed MP Rahul Gandhi as the All India Congress Committee (AICC) General Secretary in a reshuffle of the party secretariat.

The 37-year-old MP from Amethi had announced in the party's plenary at Hyderabad last year that he was ready to play an active role in the organisation if the party leadership decides.

The Congress Working Committee (CWC) now consists of the following: Sonia Gandhi, Manmohan Singh, A K Antony, Ahmed Patel, Ambika Soni, Arjun Singh, Ashok Gehlot, Digvijay Singh, Janardhan Dwivedi, Margret Alwa, Prithviraj Chouhan and Rahul Gandhi.

There have been demands from party leaders, including AICC General Secretaries, that Rahul, who has been described as a future leader and potential prime minister, should be inducted into the organisation as general secretary to enthuse the party rank and file.

The secretariat level changes in the AICC are being planned amidst possibility of mid-term polls.

Though, Rahul led the party campaign in the Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections without much success, the party leaders, including AICC General Secretary Ashok Gehlot, have termed it as a blessing in disguise.

Earlier, it was believed that the changes in the organisation would be made after state units were revamped.

However, nothing much has been done barring the replacement of Delhi Congress chief Ram Babu Sharma by JP Aggarwal two weeks ago.

With mid-term polls looming, the party feels it would be a better idea to prop up the central organisation. It is also believed that the party is keen on a youthful look.

According to party sources, Rahul's entry will be the perfect remedy for the beleaguered Congress, which has been under pressure from all its allies in the past few months.

Past tense for Rahul

As the Congress did a review of its electoral debacle in Uttar Pradesh, party insiders came up with an uncomfortable conclusion – Rahul Gandhi's somewhat aloof and corporate style of functioning did not fetch dividends in the long run for the Congress.

Party sources said the Gandhi family was upset over the showing in the state and the one casualty of this could be Rahul, who may have to give up his ways of zooming past the mass of voters, without making a lasting impression.

The Congress had 25 seats in the outgoing UP Assembly and won three seats less in the April-May elections despite whirlwind tours by both Rahul, with some help from his mother and party president Sonia Gandhi.

According to poll analysts, the party vote share fell from 8.9 per cent in 2002 to 8.6 per cent, it could retain only seven of its 25 existing seats and only 66 per cent of its earlier supporters voted for it in this election.

The Rahul Gandhi style contrasts sharply with that of his more popular sister Priyanka, who Congress functionaries insist makes a better impact on voters because she builds a personal rapport with voters.

http://www.ibnlive.com/news/rahul-joins-cong-top-brass-appoi nted-gen-secy/49250-3.html

1. Why such a hype to Rahul?
  2. Is Indian Congress Just Nehru-Indira -Gandhi Family?
  3. Are Asians..still used to that system of Kingdoms..kings..prince....Why affection to the people of the political families without any basis?
  4. Do you see any great leadership quality in Rahul ?

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Ra Ra Rahul ........." in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

mermaid_QT

IF-Sizzlerz

mermaid_QT

Posted: 24 September 2007 at 12:29pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by mythili_Kiran

Why such a hype to Rahul?
     DioxyriboNucleicAcid Smile

Is Indian Congress Just Nehru-Indira -Gandhi Family?
    plus those who support them unconditionally. 

Are Asians..still used to that system of Kingdoms..kings..prince....Why affection to the people of the political families without any basis?
    not openly Embarrassed

Do you see any great leadership quality in Rahul ?
    don't know him personally (unfortunately Cry), not impressed by his political activities / statements.. so i highly doubt it.  i was not impressed by RG either, but India is clearly benefitted by International policies he laid down  (
along with Sam Petroda,  pl. correct me if i am wrong)  I'd love it if Rahul surprises me at some stage. He does have the looks Wink.

Edited by mermaid_QT - 24 September 2007 at 12:29pm

simtara

IF-Rockerz

simtara

Posted: 24 September 2007 at 1:42pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by mermaid_QT

Agreed... blood, it appears, is thicker than money after all.

plus those who support them unconditionally. 

And here money makes its inevitable appearance.

Are Asians..still used to that system of Kingdoms..kings..prince....Why affection to the people of the political families without any basis?
    not openly Embarrassed

At a subconcious level I suppose so. The uneducated masses are swayed by the romantic poetry of politicians...the rose-tinted view is deceptive but powerfully convincing.

don't know him personally (unfortunately Cry), not impressed by his political activities / statements.. so i highly doubt it.  i was not impressed by RG either, but India is clearly benefitted by International policies he laid down  (
along with Sam Petroda,  pl. correct me if i am wrong)  I'd love it if Rahul surprises me at some stage. He does have the looks Wink.

Sam Petroda - whom I had the opportunity to meet at Chicago. But at the age of 11 the message of his importance didn't hit home - is held responsible for the "telecom revolution." He's a smart man both Rajiv Gandhi and Manmohan Singh have relied on. I say if you're smart enough to pull in such a tech-savy heavyweight, then you definitely have potential as a leader.

And for the record, I definitely thought (at first) that this was a thread for Chatty-Rahul to show his face now and then Tongue LOL

SolidSnake

IF-Rockerz

SolidSnake

Posted: 24 September 2007 at 2:00pm | IP Logged
Rahul baba...hmmm! Bachcha hai abhi uchhal kood macha rahaa hai. LOL

...M...

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 24 September 2007 at 2:29pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

lighthouse

IF-Dazzler

lighthouse

Posted: 24 September 2007 at 10:21pm | IP Logged

He is good looking, young, contemporary and not a seasoned politician yet.
    Is Indian Congress Just Nehru-Indira -Gandhi Family? No.. When Priyanka's children enter the politics , a new name will be added to congress.. Are Asians..still used to that system of Kingdoms..kings..prince....Why affection to the people of the political families without any basis? We love and implicitly trust celebrities.
  1. Do you see any great leadership quality in Rahul ? With mom to guide him , he will do fine just like his dad did..

Edited by lighthouse - 24 September 2007 at 10:21pm

IdeaQueen

IF-Dazzler

IdeaQueen

Posted: 24 September 2007 at 10:58pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by mermaid_QT

Yes DNA matters....that's the worry....Its already half italian...wonder if future..Gandhi..(son/daugther of Rahul) might be very very less indian as....his/her mother is also not indian by birthSmile..if it were some tom dick and harry it does 'nt matter but if it is Nehru family..it matters to entire India..

plus those who support them unconditionally.  but where are they ,they are all ways only in Kitchen cabinet

not openly Embarrassed

RG is also hype...tried to create AAG in Indian politics but only smoke came(RG----Rajiv Gandhi)

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 24 September 2007 at 11:40pm | IP Logged

I think Congrass need a young face......its better than old fossil's.......But I not support family politics....Esply in Congress party......80% of leaders doing family politics....we cant blame ...cos Nehru start the system.....Embarrassed

Post Reply New Post

Go to top