Page 1 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 24 September 2007 at 12:24am | IP Logged
This is a highly sensitive topic. However, a similar subject was touched in another forum I frequent and I felt it was duly thought provoking and quite relevant in the structure of our modern society.

Technically Ephebophilia is sexual attraction towards adolescents. It is important to note, that the Diagnostic and Statistic Manual for mental disorders does not classify it as paraphilia or sexually deviant behavior like pedophilia. However, most nations have age of consent laws protecting teenagers. Many countries have extremely stringent laws dealing with age disparate relationships. There have been contrasting views presented and the subject of teenage/adult relationships have become the subject of moral and ethical debate.

In ancient society such a debate would not arise as people would be married off and expected to fulfill roles of husband or wife as soon as they were sexually mature. Study of history shows teenage/adult relationships and marriages to be extremely common, extending for centuries in some regions. Then society underwent a social and moral evolution where we started being more protective about our women and children.

Modern global society has reached at a point where the issue of teenage sexuality arises again and is a topic of heated debate.

Countries like the United States, India, Egypt tend to have age of consent set at eighteen. The Soviet Bloc once notorious for its absurd age of consent has set it at sixteen. Most of Europe and even Canada still hover around fourteen or fifteen with the Spain getting a lot of flak with its age of consent set at thirteen. Age of consent laws usually deem an adult having a sexual relationship with people below the age of consent as statutory rape.

Eastern Europe receives a lot of criticism because their low age of consent allows teenage prostitution drawing sex tourists from around the world. Countries like the United States have been urging countries to enforce stringent age of consent laws. United States can be so stringent that even sexually explicit conversations real time or online are deemed as criminal offenses even if there is no interest in a relationship.

Protecting teenagers is a valid purpose. Teenagers are young and not emotionally mature enough to handle relationships especially sexual ones.

At the same time are teenagers that naive or innocent to require so much protection. Many of them tend to be much more aware of their sexuality. Many teenagers dress and act provocatively, act like adults and often wanted to be perceived as sexually attractive by older men and women. Often with some teenagers it is impossible to distinguish them from adults because of the way they carry themselves and behave.

On the internet teenagers are getting more and more provocative. MySpace and other networking sites contain provocative images and content. Teenagers will themselves initiate provocative conversations in chat rooms. I apologize that I do not have a source to cite but I read a while back that a majority of explicit slash fiction was written by teenage girls. A lot of fan fiction sites tend to have explicit content, with a significantly larger proportion of teenagers compared to adults. Acid paring is common with more and more adult/teen relationships portrayed.

Clearly teenagers are not as naive and innocent as we believe (or hope?) them to be.

Ironically despite United States being the most stringent in age of consent laws. Teenage sexuality as well as drug/alcohol use is prominent in their mainstream media culture. And we all know how influential mainstream culture can be.

The questions to be asked and answered
Is attraction to teenagers natural or is it unnatural and deviant?
Are teenager/adult relationships acceptable from a moral and ethical standpoint?
Where do we draw the moral lines (right/wrong etc) and where do we draw legal lines (age of consent/marriage/rape)?
When a situation of adult/teen relationship takes place, where do we place the burden? It takes two to tango, but is only the adult responsible or both equally?
What is more important age of consent laws or more responsibility and involvement of parents in healthy social/sexual development of teenagers?

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Ephebophilia - Normal or Deviant?" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

IdeaQueen

IF-Dazzler

IdeaQueen

Posted: 24 September 2007 at 2:22am | IP Logged

Ermm

nice topic for debate.. !!!

Nice post RTH ji!

However.....things should go on in right time with right people in the right ages! Right in the sense appropriate!! But what is right ? whod decides what is right is a question???WinkTongue

However......Bacchen should behave like  Bachhen and badein should behave like Badein...but this topic is about teens who are neither children nor adults....

Everything comes in right upbringing!

mermaid_QT

IF-Sizzlerz

mermaid_QT

Posted: 24 September 2007 at 10:36am | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

The questions to be asked and answered

Is attraction to teenagers natural or is it unnatural and deviant?
attraction of teenagers to teenagers is not deviant.  older adults getting attracted to teens seems deviant / frustration to me.

Are teenager/adult relationships acceptable from a moral and ethical standpoint?
imo, no.  teens is a hard stage and although adults are also prone to making wrong choices LOL, teens are a wee bit more vulnerable.  If the adult is really MEANT to be with the TEEN, why can't the adult wait till the teen becomes an adult? Tongue ..  That is a great test to see what real feelings and committment is about.

Where do we draw the moral lines (right/wrong etc) and where do we draw legal lines (age of consent/marriage/rape)?
Hard hard question.  In several communities, older married women are raped by their own husbands Cry.  Can age, relation, PAPER COMMITTMENTS such as marriage provide any solace?  I don't think so.  It has to be mutual at any age and below a certain age, say 18 (adulthood), physical relation should be forbidden and the older person should be consdered a criminal whether teenager was willing / otherwise.

When a situation of adult/teen relationship takes place, where do we place the burden? It takes two to tango, but is only the adult responsible or both equally?
Both are equally responsible, one adult should know better Smile and prohibiing adult is easier way of ensuring safety of underage people.

What is more important age of consent laws or more responsibility and involvement of parents in healthy social/sexual development of teenagers?
I think we could go with 18.  Some people mess up their lives even at 22 or 32.  Somewhere, we have to draw a line and I think 18 or 21 is a safe age to draw it.   Since 21 may seem a long wait for precautious teens, I don't mind law giving them freedom at 18.
Myself as a teenager was soooo  focussed on having clean fun and building a career, that never had time to give importance to men.  In future as a parent, I hope to provide the same goals, same opportunities, and same teenage life-style to my children some day.

Nice topic RTH Smile

Edited by mermaid_QT - 24 September 2007 at 10:38am

raunaq

IF-Sizzlerz

raunaq

Posted: 24 September 2007 at 3:45pm | IP Logged
return what is your other name? feel weird to call you return LOL LOL LOL

what a topic Clap Clap Clap i have nothing to contribute to this issue since my knowledge is almost zilch but will follow this thread Tongue

mermaid_QT

IF-Sizzlerz

mermaid_QT

Posted: 24 September 2007 at 3:53pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by raunaq

what a topic Clap Clap Clap i have nothing to contribute to this issue since my knowledge is almost zilch but will follow this thread Tongue

I was glad RTH explained the term, else I was gonna hit wikipedia Embarrassed..

IdeaQueen

IF-Dazzler

IdeaQueen

Posted: 24 September 2007 at 9:43pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by mermaid_QT

I was glad RTH explained the term, else I was gonna hit wikipedia Embarrassed..

Google and Life are very similar...the search in google and search in life has vast scope....the important thing is how to search a right thing...how to extract the desired thing...how to decide if something is useful to us at this point of search even if it is a nice resource....the most important thing is when to stop searching ROFL
Where are QWERTY,LH Gauri ji and CB ????They should see this comparison of Google and life....
Donot know what happened to me from yesterday....I'm shouting like a cricket(insectDeadLOL) with my jokes in home,office and here too!!

ChameliKaYaar

IF-Rockerz

ChameliKaYaar

Posted: 25 September 2007 at 12:49pm | IP Logged

naam ugalwane ka best tareeka...DOTW bana do...line pe aa jayega..LOLLOLLOL... Hey Return..it's a PJ, buddy..Big smile

Edited by ChameliKaYaar - 25 September 2007 at 12:49pm

...M...

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 25 September 2007 at 2:08pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top