Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Where u hail from makes a difference? (Page 2)

Morning_Dew Goldie
Morning_Dew
Morning_Dew

Deactivated on request

Posted: 20 September 2007 at 7:49pm | IP Logged
Knowing some one's origin helps in initial interaction .. though exceptions are everywhere but it gives a kind of picture what and how we extend out conversation for eg people from europe tend to know about world other than their own country .. so you can expect wide range of topics during conversation .. with American people you have limited choices . 

we have a strong sense of belonging towards our own country , culture and religion and we adopt the general thoughts of society about other's which might have generated due to past good or bad experiences with other culture , people or religion. This strong sense of belonging towards our own people make us biased towards others

Edited by Morning_Dew - 20 September 2007 at 7:54pm
mermaid_QT IF-Sizzlerz
mermaid_QT
mermaid_QT

Posted: 20 September 2007 at 8:48pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by raj5000

"AAP aati kyaa kandala"

Arre Kya HUM Boloooo?? EmbarrassedROFL

just kidding..  got it @ mumbaiyya lingo

Broken Heart.. i really dislike it and it derogates my city i feel CryCry..

okay, to cut out my mumbai-love spam Wink, let me say something related to the topicCool.
Accent gives away where one hails from! 
Sundy Mondy cracks me up!  Ofcourse you can tell where the southeners hail from and the same holds good for upper mid-west.  i love the Fargo- accent Smile & Scottish accent. 

raunaq IF-Sizzlerz
raunaq
raunaq

Posted: 20 September 2007 at 9:18pm | IP Logged
@ qt, i agree with you at the last statement and it sounds so sweet LOL LOL LOL

@ topic, yes and no. actually i dont ask people where they are from until something about them really makes me curious to ask them Tongue and until i know them well. it gets really irritating when some people(i wont mention which people) keep staring at you for a while and then inch closer towards you which can scare the hell out of you and then they ask where are you from and the moment they know that you are exactly not from the same place as they are, they ignore you. hello? whats the point of asking a stranger where you are from? very irritating, please stay away. one doesnt have to be of the same place, language etc to build a relationship. i have seen people coming out of their comfort zone and extending their hands of friendship even though they are not of the same place, language etc.

knowing where you are from in the first meeting is not very exciting but later knowing their originality etc can make the conversation more interesting, in a way it matters to some people but for some it doesnt make a difference. i am not trying to straddle the issue. IMO it shouldnt matter Tongue

Edited by raunaq - 20 September 2007 at 9:20pm
sohn Senior Member
sohn
sohn

Posted: 21 September 2007 at 9:45am | IP Logged
I think I've faced coupla situations interacting with gora log initially when I came to UK. Well, they assumed I was a Moroccan when they saw me first(?!?!?!) n then they asked me where I was from and when I said I was from India...their first reaction was .."ooooh emotional and sensitive...and crazy about cricket" Confused Unfortunately all that is true, esp the last one Tongue but...somehow I think they figured out a way to deal with me for that period of time. Later we all became good friends and certain perceptions changed and some remained unchanged.

I dont know if its good or bad but I agree with Dewey, I do believe it happens to almost everyone and at times, does help you to kinda draw a rough sketch about that person in a brief moment. Later.. the person n his/her sketch might not match up or you can modify it afterwards, but its a start. Some take this concept a bit too far and start avoiding people and even going lengths to criticize them without even getting to know them. I think this is where it goes terribly wrong. Otherwise, I think its an instinct in humans, an attempt to suss out the person standing in front of you.
sohn Senior Member
sohn
sohn

Posted: 21 September 2007 at 9:57am | IP Logged
Originally posted by mermaid_QT

"AAP aati kyaa kandala"

Arre Kya HUM Boloooo?? EmbarrassedROFL

just kidding..  got it @ mumbaiyya lingo

Broken Heart.. i really dislike it and it derogates my city i feel CryCry..

okay, to cut out my mumbai-love spam Wink, let me say something related to the topicCool.
Accent gives away where one hails from! 
Sundy Mondy cracks me up!  Ofcourse you can tell where the southeners hail from and the same holds good for upper mid-west.  i love the Fargo- accent Smile & Scottish accent. 

lol Di...my first trip was to Dundee in Scotland and I swear upon all the gods, I said to my friend " I thought they speak English in Scotland as well!" LOL LOL LOL Just couldn't get a single word from their conversations, and the steep tones and twists in their pronunciation! Oh god, that was hilarious! Well in the cities, you can still get what they saying, but going north, it really gets worse! But love it, that accent is amazingly sweet like their people,  I agree Smile
IndefiniteLOVE IF-Rockerz

Posted: 22 September 2007 at 4:06pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.
Vinzy IF-Stunnerz
Vinzy
Vinzy

Posted: 22 September 2007 at 11:03pm | IP Logged

At bold, hear yaaEmbarrassed

Oh "tu" was with reference with Mumbaiya language, was surprised to hear people addressing with "tu" initially but thats the Munna Bhai language eveyone loves... I asure fo strangers it's always app but for friends Wink orelse friends ask tabiyet kharab hai kyaLOL BTW it won't sound good to say "App kaisa hai rey" "Ayee Apun key saath app bhankass nahi karneka" "App aati kyaa kandala" LOLLOLLOL just for fun eg. no offense intended. (man these disclaimers, am so concerned these days, kiss ko kya offensive lagey, unlike me lolsssss)

I worked in Mumbai b4 so chance to get mingle with lot of (different type)peoples, but the style of talking influenced me a lot.......its not actuly munnabai talking....b4 munnabhai lots of people talking like that way....I dont think in first meeting someone use "Tu" in mumbai too.....EmbarrassedKaiko aisa bolra re Smile

TallyHo IF-Rockerz
TallyHo
TallyHo

Posted: 23 September 2007 at 1:08am | IP Logged
I like the Tu they use in Mumbai...lots of apnapan! Tongue in Delhi they will call you Aap and will eventually turn out to be your baap! LOL

Asking where someone comes from just gives a cue to start a conversation! Also to understand some of the sensitiviites of the person!

Go to top