Where u hail from makes a difference? - Page 2

Posted: 16 years ago
@ qt, i agree with you at the last statement and it sounds so sweet πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

@ topic, yes and no. actually i dont ask people where they are from until something about them really makes me curious to ask them πŸ˜› and until i know them well. it gets really irritating when some people(i wont mention which people) keep staring at you for a while and then inch closer towards you which can scare the hell out of you and then they ask where are you from and the moment they know that you are exactly not from the same place as they are, they ignore you. hello? whats the point of asking a stranger where you are from? very irritating, please stay away. one doesnt have to be of the same place, language etc to build a relationship. i have seen people coming out of their comfort zone and extending their hands of friendship even though they are not of the same place, language etc.

knowing where you are from in the first meeting is not very exciting but later knowing their originality etc can make the conversation more interesting, in a way it matters to some people but for some it doesnt make a difference. i am not trying to straddle the issue. IMO it shouldnt matter πŸ˜›

Edited by raunaq - 16 years ago
I think I've faced coupla situations interacting with gora log initially when I came to UK. Well, they assumed I was a Moroccan when they saw me first(?!?!?!) n then they asked me where I was from and when I said I was from India...their first reaction was .."ooooh emotional and sensitive...and crazy about cricket" πŸ˜• Unfortunately all that is true, esp the last one πŸ˜› but...somehow I think they figured out a way to deal with me for that period of time. Later we all became good friends and certain perceptions changed and some remained unchanged.

I dont know if its good or bad but I agree with Dewey, I do believe it happens to almost everyone and at times, does help you to kinda draw a rough sketch about that person in a brief moment. Later.. the person n his/her sketch might not match up or you can modify it afterwards, but its a start. Some take this concept a bit too far and start avoiding people and even going lengths to criticize them without even getting to know them. I think this is where it goes terribly wrong. Otherwise, I think its an instinct in humans, an attempt to suss out the person standing in front of you.
Originally posted by mermaid_QT

Arre Kya HUM Boloooo?? 😳🀣

just kidding..  got it @ mumbaiyya lingo

πŸ₯Ί.. i really dislike it and it derogates my city i feel 😭😭..

okay, to cut out my mumbai-love spam πŸ˜‰, let me say something related to the topic😎.
Accent gives away where one hails from! 
Sundy Mondy cracks me up!  Ofcourse you can tell where the southeners hail from and the same holds good for upper mid-west.  i love the Fargo- accent 😊 & Scottish accent. 

lol Di...my first trip was to Dundee in Scotland and I swear upon all the gods, I said to my friend " I thought they speak English in Scotland as well!" πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† Just couldn't get a single word from their conversations, and the steep tones and twists in their pronunciation! Oh god, that was hilarious! Well in the cities, you can still get what they saying, but going north, it really gets worse! But love it, that accent is amazingly sweet like their people,  I agree 😊

Originally posted by Maya_M

I am not biased but I don't like people refering to someone as 'Tu' at the first meeting. I prefer 'Aap'. Even 'tum' is better choice. 'tu' is good between close friends, relatives etc.

yaa i think same

Originally posted by raj5000

At bold, hear yaa😳

Oh "tu" was with reference with Mumbaiya language, was surprised to hear people addressing with "tu" initially but thats the Munna Bhai language eveyone loves... I asure fo strangers it's always app but for friends πŸ˜‰ orelse friends ask tabiyet kharab hai kyaπŸ˜† BTW it won't sound good to say "App kaisa hai rey" "Ayee Apun key saath app bhankass nahi karneka" "App aati kyaa kandala" πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜† just for fun eg. no offense intended. (man these disclaimers, am so concerned these days, kiss ko kya offensive lagey, unlike me lolsssss)

I worked in Mumbai b4 so chance to get mingle with lot of (different type)peoples, but the style of talking influenced me a lot.......its not actuly munnabai talking....b4 munnabhai lots of people talking like that way....I dont think in first meeting someone use "Tu" in mumbai too.....😳Kaiko aisa bolra re 😊

I like the Tu they use in Mumbai...lots of apnapan! πŸ˜› in Delhi they will call you Aap and will eventually turn out to be your baap! πŸ˜†

Asking where someone comes from just gives a cue to start a conversation! Also to understand some of the sensitiviites of the person!
Originally posted by TallyHo

I like the Tu they use in Mumbai...lots of apnapan! πŸ˜› in Delhi they will call you Aap and will eventually turn out to be your baap! πŸ˜†

true 😳
not just calling someone aap, but also meaning it is very important and that also depends on where you hail from πŸ˜†πŸ˜†
English is the best language......in this case.....
YOU with respect
YOU with disrespect..
YOU with Love
YOU with hatred.....same word ..for several situations...
In Andhra Pradesh...people from Andhra side others as Meeru (AAP) and people from telangana call Nuvvu(Tu)....so some of the Andhra People feel that telangana people are not that respectful...however that's a Myth!Respect is not in the way we address the people..but the attitude we show...However I donot like addressing people tum unnecessarily and I donot like strangers addressing me tu....as if they  know me from centuries...but however....this is not an issue

Edited by mythili_Kiran - 16 years ago
Originally posted by raj5000

Generally whenever we meet an individuals, basic questions afte name intoduction is where are you from?

Well does it really matter? Can you make assumptions / mind set on person's individuality/personality based on which region/part/county/country he/she hails from?

Example - No offense please, like Delhites use "APP" addressing people, not necessarily they respect you but its out of habit, on the contrary a Bombaite will say "Tu" not necessarily he/she disrespects you. More examples follow based on responses😊 

Another burning(πŸ˜†) question - Why people are biased based on region/country etc.?

I think this is due to a belief that people from your own region are likely to be more intelligent, friendly, helpful than those from the other....

Originally posted by mythili_Kiran

English is the best language......in this case.....
YOU with respect
YOU with disrespect..
YOU with Love
YOU with hatred.....same word ..for several situations...
In Andhra Pradesh...people from Andhra side others as Meeru (AAP) and people from telangana call Nuvvu(Tu)....so some of the Andhra People feel that telangana people are not that respectful...however that's a Myth!Respect is not in the way we address the people..but the attitude we show...However I donot like addressing people tum unnecessarily and I donot like strangers addressing me tu....as if they  know me from centuries...but however....this is not an issue

I dont thinkn people understand link bet' language and respect.. even on the forum if you call anybody with a suffix ji... they immeidiatly say I am not an aunty....so please dont put a ji.....language has its own of conveying respect which english totally lacks....and actions have their own.. You can address a person as aap and then slap him repeatedly...though thats ridiculous...