Debate Mansion

   

Where u hail from makes a difference?

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 4

Page 1
Page   of 4
Page 2 Page 4

raj5000

Moderator

raj5000

Joined: 01 January 2006

Posts: 11720

Posted: 19 September 2007 at 7:34pm | IP Logged

Generally whenever we meet an individuals, basic questions afte name intoduction is where are you from?

Well does it really matter? Can you make assumptions / mind set on person's individuality/personality based on which region/part/county/country he/she hails from?

Example - No offense please, like Delhites use "APP" addressing people, not necessarily they respect you but its out of habit, on the contrary a Bombaite will say "Tu" not necessarily he/she disrespects you. More examples follow based on responsesSmile 

Another burning(LOL) question - Why people are biased based on region/country etc.?

 

 

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Where u hail from makes a difference?" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Mashail

Goldie

Mashail

Joined: 22 March 2007

Posts: 1055

Posted: 19 September 2007 at 8:45pm | IP Logged
i think it matters.... to ask where someone is from? bcos then ppl make connections with those ppl upon those facts..... just like ppl make connections with other ppl by the way they dress, their attitude, their style, the music they listen to....etc.. etc...

just like those examples... where a person is from is a part of the person's identity... so ppl make connections through tht fact as well....

ppl are biased bcos thts wht they grew up hearing... and bcos ppl have this preconcieved notion tht ppl from certain areas are a certain way, and they act a certain way.... so ppl treat each other according to tht info...

i dont think ppl shud be offended bcos someone asks them where they are from.... everyone shud be proud of it... and shud say it proudly... bcos after all it is a part of u!

raj5000

Moderator

raj5000

Joined: 01 January 2006

Posts: 11720

Posted: 19 September 2007 at 8:56pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by Mashail

i think it matters.... to ask where someone is from? bcos then ppl make connections with those ppl upon those facts..... just like ppl make connections with other ppl by the way they dress, their attitude, their style, the music they listen to....etc.. etc...

just like those examples... where a person is from is a part of the person's identity... so ppl make connections through tht fact as well....

ppl are biased bcos thts wht they grew up hearing... and bcos ppl have this preconcieved notion tht ppl from certain areas are a certain way, and they act a certain way.... so ppl treat each other according to tht info...

i dont think ppl shud be offended bcos someone asks them where they are from.... everyone shud be proud of it... and shud say it proudly... bcos after all it is a part of u!

@bold - Clap , liked your overall response Mashail.Thanks!

lighthouse

IF-Dazzler

lighthouse

Joined: 18 January 2006

Posts: 2842

Posted: 20 September 2007 at 12:27pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by raj5000

Generally whenever we meet an individuals, basic questions afte name intoduction is where are you from? Getting to know about you a little more. Tongue

Well does it really matter? Yes Initially it does.

Can you make assumptions / mind set on person's individuality/personality based on which region/part/county/country he/she hails from? Yes . In the absence of any personal information and experience about the individual, it helps us connect based on assumptions we have about each other.

Example - No offense please, like Delhites use "APP" addressing people, not necessarily they respect you but its out of habit, on the contrary a Bombaite will say "Tu" not necessarily he/she disrespects you. More examples follow based on responsesSmile 

Another burning(LOL) question - Why people are biased based on region/country etc.? There is no bias, it is self defense and understanding mechanism- just applying the knowledge to move ahead in forging a good relationship.

...M...

IF-Sizzlerz

Joined: 20 October 2006

Posts: 21657

Posted: 20 September 2007 at 12:54pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

raj5000

Moderator

raj5000

Joined: 01 January 2006

Posts: 11720

Posted: 20 September 2007 at 3:20pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by lighthouse

Originally posted by raj5000

Generally whenever we meet an individuals, basic questions afte name intoduction is where are you from? Getting to know about you a little more. Tongue

Well does it really matter? Yes Initially it does. just for extending convesasion sake you mean, I agree.

Can you make assumptions / mind set on person's individuality/personality based on which region/part/county/country he/she hails from? Yes . In the absence of any personal information and experience about the individual, it helps us connect based on assumptions we have about each other.

Isn't that incorrect, like if one meets someone from Jamiaca, will always thing with one beat of drum this guy/girl with start dancing... not necessarily true. Right!

Example - No offense please, like Delhites use "APP" addressing people, not necessarily they respect you but its out of habit, on the contrary a Bombaite will say "Tu" not necessarily he/she disrespects you. More examples follow based on responsesSmile 

Another burning(LOL) question - Why people are biased based on region/country etc.? There is no bias, it is self defense and understanding mechanism- just applying the knowledge to move ahead in forging a good relationship.

No LHji, I meant people biasing based on region, like if someone hails from UP and One is from Up, would suppot UPite more then someone from calcutta.. Smile

mermaid_QT

IF-Sizzlerz

mermaid_QT

Joined: 25 September 2005

Posts: 11613

Posted: 20 September 2007 at 5:58pm | IP Logged
yepp.. it matters where one hails from. their behaviour many a times eflects where ppl are from. their culture, their rituals (good and bad), customs, communicaton skills, education, sexual apartheid Tongue appear to make them who they are.
(i am speaking of majority and not denying exceptions here)

one should ideally not be biassed (although is really hard at times, i admit)

Tu is a bit derogatory the way I look at it. I never address someone with a TU unless I am incredibly comfortable with them.

raj5000

Moderator

raj5000

Joined: 01 January 2006

Posts: 11720

Posted: 20 September 2007 at 7:19pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by mermaid_QT

yepp.. it matters where one hails from. their behaviour many a times eflects where ppl are from. their culture, their rituals (good and bad), customs, communicaton skills, education, sexual apartheid Tongue appear to make them who they are.
(i am speaking of majority and not denying exceptions here)

one should ideally not be biassed (although is really hard at times, i admit)

Tu is a bit derogatory the way I look at it. I never address someone with a TU unless I am incredibly comfortable with them.

At bold, hear yaaEmbarrassed

Oh "tu" was with reference with Mumbaiya language, was surprised to hear people addressing with "tu" initially but thats the Munna Bhai language eveyone loves... I asure fo strangers it's always app but for friends Wink orelse friends ask tabiyet kharab hai kyaLOL BTW it won't sound good to say "App kaisa hai rey" "Ayee Apun key saath app bhankass nahi karneka" "App aati kyaa kandala" LOLLOLLOL just for fun eg. no offense intended. (man these disclaimers, am so concerned these days, kiss ko kya offensive lagey, unlike me lolsssss)

Post Reply New Post

Go to top

Related Topics

  Topics Topic Starter Replies Views Last Post
Age difference in a relation......

2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 13

The_Other_Woman 99 4431 26 October 2009 at 9:09am
By Summer3
Difference between men n women

2 3 4 5 6

Summer3 45 8595 22 October 2009 at 7:49pm
By Summer3
Age Difference in relationships?

2 3 4 5 6 7

saatphereizcool 50 6329 02 September 2009 at 8:13am
By baz786
Cultural Difference: what to do? blah231 3 421 28 August 2007 at 3:54am
By Vinzy
Difference between Highschool &... CuteFairy91 3 290 18 November 2006 at 7:32am
By RandomSquared

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Limit search to this Forum only.

 

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.