Shame on Indian media! - Page 2

Posted: 16 years ago
Originally posted by mermaid_QT

you said it! I agree.
Life doesn't appear to have much value unless it is of a celebrity.

qt, i feel we have some kind of telepathy going on here. just in the morning i was thinking about the media who focus on bollywood actors monitoring what are they eating, how much are they eating, what are they allergic to, what kind of dress makes them look low profile, what irritates them etc. . but its really sad that substantial issues are swept aside in india especially those people affected by natural disasters etc. medias in other places cover important aspects. you pick up an indian newspaper, there is a picture of a celebrity on the first page most of the time. you call this media? people dont buy newspapers to know the lifestyle of celebritiesEdited by raunaq - 16 years ago
I hope we could do something about it. IF SRGMP has given me the idea - whether works or not does not matter. But I will and also tell my friends to write to the media people to look into the matters they are supposed to.

Saaree kasoor hamarein nazroon ka hain. We don't wish to see the bad and gandha stuff, we are by nature attracted to the glossy stuff.

Originally posted by Pradarshak

I hope we could do something about it. IF SRGMP has given me the idea - whether works or not does not matter. But I will and also tell my friends to write to the media people to look into the matters they are supposed to.

Saaree kasoor hamarein nazroon ka hain. We don't wish to see the bad and gandha stuff, we are by nature attracted to the glossy stuff.

BINGO😛

i didnt even anything like happened!!!

anyway sorry to hear abt the unfortunate event and abt the media thing!!!
Same here, sorry to hear about it. We can just pray, I guess.

Topic -

I have said it many times and repeating it again, media shows what people want and they get the TRP's.

Just as an example, no offy - How many us would prefer watching interview of Dhoni's dudhwala, if there was option of watching some serious news?? nah don't answer it, just think about it 😛

Its not that media doesn't deliver news, it sure does all the masala news that people like to hear and interested in, thats how they are earnign thier bread and butter. Thoese days have gone when partkaar or news editor, even though had nothing eat used to deliver real news for benefit or betterment or awareness of society, might still exists in movies but for real ouch

These attributes put you on the right path for a career in the news biz.

What makes a good reporter?
Schools will tell you that it can be taught, but journalism schools are more for learning story structure, media law, note-taking, etc. But everything that makes a writer a journalist can't be taught in a classroom. It's often said that some people are "born journalists." What are those qualities that turn someone who loves the news into a successful news hack?
    Resourcefulness: This is the "where there's a will, there's a way" person. When a reporter hits a brick wall when chasing down a story, he or she needs to have the kind of mind that can quickly come up with new avenues to try. Commitment: The news business is highly unpredictable, and the person who refuses to work nights, weekends, or holidays usually won't get far.Even at a low-pressure weekly newspaper or on the features desk, you never know when the sky will fall and you have to drop everything and get on the story. Are you willing to sacrifice some aspects of your personal life for your job? Speed and accuracy: It's not enough to write well -- you have to also write fast. And this is where many aspiring journalists stumble. They may do well in writing classes and show a good grasp of the news, but when it comes to deadline, to cranking out a story in 15 minutes and juggling last-minute quotes and details as they dribble in and the clock is ticking, they falter. If you love to write news but can't handle tight deadlines, try magazines. Thick skin: Editors may yell at you. In a high-pressure environment, you may clash with co-workers under similar stress. Readers at one time or another will call you nasty names. You might even receive threats because of stories you write. Can you let it roll off? News judgment: Reporters have to have an eye for what is newsworthy, what the hook is in a story. Editors are there to help reporters develop good news judgment, but there are times when journalists will have to make snap decisions on their own and find the proper focus for a story. Spelling and grammar: A good journalist turns in relatively clean copy and doesn't lean on the editors to catch every error, thus possesses decent spelling and grammar skills. Multitasking: Needless to say, journalists have to juggle many things at a time. Press releases and tips flow into your inbox, people are throwing more stuff on your desk, an editor may want a rewrite on the same day you have another story due. Good journalists have prioritization skills to keep from missing stories and to keep one's sanity. Interpersonal skills: This is not to say that a good journalist is a chipper "people person." Many aren't. Some are abrasive or introverted in everyday life. But they do know how to talk to someone to get the information they need and can inspire some degree of trust in their source. They aren't shy at press conferences and can get their questions heard and answered.
  • Confidence: You need to feel that you can ask the tough questions, take the backlash, get the scoop, get a story written with accurate facts and quotes. A good journalist must have the guts to take that extra leap to get his or her story.

http://journalism.about.com/od/journalismcareers/qt/qualitie s.htm

I believe now a days media always using to supress Govt or nation by making controversy over a local stories, Some jurnelist forget they are talking to whole world, they just put their own made up view in the local stories,and make controversy so they cant keep the standard.😳
Edited by Believe - 16 years ago
Originally posted by Pradarshak

This year India has been hit by one of the worst floods in history, from north to south and east to west. I am not sure how they covered these flood situations in India, but what we get to watch or read is about England test, 20/20, "Mahi the new captain",(Cricket is always the top story on ZEE news) "Nuclear deal with US", "Ramsetu", etc. Their priority is  only to publicize the sensational and controversial news. How could they turn their face from those who need the coverage? Imagine something like this happening in a western country, media will be 24/7 on it's service. Even after 2 yrs US media still talk about "Katrina" and the people's plight. Indian media has again proved "A poor Indian's life is a cheap one and can be wasted." It's a sure sign of inhumanness, shame on them for showing such negligence. 

Yes a thought provoking question! I wonder if media is dynamic here...😆..they come back to normal state very soon,they are not nostalgic in core issues😕...the news are so dynamic here😛..cannot blame the media alone...the situations here are also very dynamic...there is videsh ..there is only one sensation news in a season..here there are tons of such things each day...one day it will be a bomb blast,one day it will be a flyover collapse..other day..it will be some floood..some other day it will be drought....so media cannot focuss only on problems all the times in India😊

I hardly watch Zee news but If I were interested in serious news on the Indian subcontinent  , my choice would not be half hour news on Zee channel.. Most people I know in USA get their news from CNN or BBC and from variety of local channels. Why would there be an array of newschannels if the format and content must be same?

May be here in USA we do not get to watch all of the news hour on ZEE as they say good bye to only international audience at the end of half hour. It sure seems they cater first half hour to NRI's and pack it with cricket, celebrity and religion headlines.. 

Mythilli, it's not just in India, sensational news gets importance everywhere in the world. It happens in USA too. Celebrity news/murder/scandal always makes headlines. But when something big and bad happen to the life of the people that gets the priority, rest take the side lane.

It's just not about TV, look into internet - Samachar, rediff, msn-india(these are commmonly viewed by the people). There was no such effort from them.

Yes CNN-BBC gives a better picture than Zee news(ridiculous). What I meant to say is the way other well known western channels cover any natural calamity, does the Indian media(24/7 news channels) cover that way? I am not sure what happens in India, here I have not seen any such wide coverage. I hope you guys realize this was the worst hit in Indian history. Edited by Pradarshak - 16 years ago