Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

allegra thumbnail
Posted: 19 years ago
Minnie I understand what you are saying. However what you are saying would hold if the directors would fairly mess up every character equally and consistently, and the actors the same with their acting. In the real world, sometimes the mess up is due to bad script, sometimes due to bad direction, or bad acting, or maybe some fluctuating combination - all in the same show, or even the same actor or character. Scriptwriters, directors are humans - so you must account for human errrors.

For instance, in the earlier episodes Armaan was one of the most believable characters. During that time, when Armaan used Jassi for his professional gain, said cruel things about her looks to Raj, cheated on his fiancee to whom he got engaged again for his own gain, and people called him selfish and egotistical, it was appropriate. Coz that's what the character truly was, it wasn't coz T&D messed up. Armaan was totally consistent and credible. I had faith in his selfishness, in his "all's fair for the good of Gulmohur" approach.

But then later (during Purab & CEO Jassi days) he became completely "evil" and even behaved in such a way as to bring about the ruin of Gulmohar (something absolutely inconsistent with the character who for the most part did wrong by Jassi solely for Gulmohur) then everyone felt that T&D had really messed up his character. That "bad" was not attributed to Armaan, but to the makers of JJKN. Would you then have said - hey, if before you attributed the bad things that Armaan did to his character, then now when he is doing bad why are you blaming T&D? What kind of an argument is that?

If the complementary attributes ("bad") of the same character were initially attributed to the character and later to the bad writing, then why can't Purab's bad behavior - which was infact completely contradictory to the goodness that was the attribute of that character - be now attributed to the writers/directors. You really think that citing social differences for jilting Jassi at the altar is believable of the character of Purab portrayed so far?
And how about if they show Bebe snorting cocaine?
Or Billu sleeping with Nandu's mom on the sly?
Or Mallika insisting with Armaan that they go to Hardwar for their honeymoon?
Need I go on.......

It is not about being biased or playing favorites, it is about credibility. If the character does negative things, but the character itself is credible, then it is the character that is the villain. If what the character does is not credible, then the villains are the makers of that character.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Wake up! I'm finally done!!
allegra thumbnail

Originally posted by: Allegra

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Wake up! I'm finally done!!

I lied! πŸ˜‰

While the inconsistency in Armaan and Purab's character was glaringly obvious, Jassi is a bit complicated. Are her "mistakes" her character's weakness or T&D's bloopers, or is it a combination? Edited by allegra - 19 years ago
ritu thumbnail

This is Chichora

ides thumbnail
Very eloquently saidπŸ‘πŸ‘......u read my mind Alle....

And how about if they show Bebe snorting cocaine?
Or Billu sleeping with Nandu's mom on the sly?

πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†and ofcourse only our Alle can be both convincing and funny at the same time......πŸ˜†.....I think if Kekta made the sequel to JJKN, we can expect either/both these senarios.........πŸ˜‰
Minnie thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4

πŸ˜†  alle.

Nevertheless, my point is not what happened was beleivable or not,but it's about placing a character above everyone and treating him  with a partial outlook and trying to find justification only for his behaviour no matter how.

For me the way Jassi behaved with Purab was just as inconsistent,her indulgent petulance is not something one  associates with a girl who is totally underconfident about self and accepts it every step of the way and for whom everything is Babaji ki kripa.She didn't behave that way with anyone ever and yet one fine morning she wakes up being rude to all and sundry and behaves awfully with with Purab and people start saying,'her parents did not teach her anything' and it was quickly lapped up by everyone as a triat of her character and it's normalancy not questioned once.

One one hand she is shown to be a mature self effacing individual who is practical and knows her limitations and right on the other she transforms into a shrieking female who throws stupid tantrums and takes everything for granted.Now tell me,did it never occur to you people that anything taken for granted and Jassi both just DO NOT fit together in the same breath? What they showed of Jassi was just not her. Yet not once did I notice anyone saying,'what the hell they are doing to this sweet girl's character'? Her attitude being that of a subservient and a giving one from the beginning,changed overnight to that of a shrewd aggressive female and a not a liitle spoilt brat.Was that normal?

yet all that was heard was'has Jassi lost it' or 'she is stupid' bla bla. 

So since everything about Jassi is being judged based on what said and done by her in the show and accepted ,why should Purab be treated any differently?      

Princess thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Engager 5 Thumbnail + 5
right on MinnieπŸ‘ You Go girl!!!πŸ‘
love_Jassi thumbnail

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘ You said it all Minnie.

Jassi is conviniently treated and called all sorts of names inspite of the fact that it's her character which was most brutally butchered and what she supposedly did with Purab was touted to be her fault inspite of the fact that Jassi actually could not have behaved that way with Purab or anyone else unless she had a split personality disorder.Similarly Purab too could not have behaved that way unless he too suffered from the same personality disorder.If we understand that where Purab's character is concerned,then why not in Jassi's case?

My guess is that her behaviour was lapped up because it added to the 'greatness' of Purab's character and hence blaming outside source for Jassi's  behaviour was just not convinient for the Purab's fans.

love_Jassi thumbnail

Princess,you are not going to like this.'Chichora' in english means a cheapo,a cheap guy.

Princess thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Engager 5 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: love_Jassi

Princess,you are not going to like this.'Chichora' in english means a cheapo,a cheap guy.

thanks love_Jassi. it's ok if Armaan is a chichora than purab is a coward, who's trying to hide behind T&D for his actions.

ides thumbnail

Originally posted by: love_Jassi

My guess is that her behaviour was lapped up because it added to the 'greatness' of Purab's character and hence blaming outside source for Jassi's  behaviour was just not convinient for the Purab's fans

In Jassi's case, these inconsistencies u mentioned, were poited out and criticised....and there were many who did publicly outcried at the annihilation of Jassi's character to make a mockery of the very values that were the heart and soul of the show...She was quick to latch onto anything Purab did even if it were out of goodness and knowing that he had never betrayed her, while turning a blind eye to Armaan (who she was told time and time again was a user).......but for the past 6 or so months, such inconsistent behavior of Jassi has been a constant in the show.......

the way I see it, the reason why u cant use the same "split personality" justification for both Jassi and Purab's reaction is simple.....with Purab it was a one time thing...and since he vanished from the screen after that, its hard to say whether or not he would have cheated Jassi again....(Were Purab to return to the screen and carry on with the same behavior, ur reasoning can be used perhaps)......whereas with Jassi, it is being repeated time and time again......Although it does not fit in with her character, but as audience we have learned to acept it like a bitter medicine since T&D cant do any better.....

as for the "greatness" of Purab's character, apparently this attribute is evident to anyone BUT Purab fans, who have always seen him as a human with flaws.....and let me remind u that it is not "purab fans" as u put it, who are suffering from this Devta complex........πŸ˜‰

Edited by ides - 19 years ago