Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Research says, K serials good for women (Page 3)

season915 Goldie
season915
season915

Posted: 22 August 2007 at 9:01am | IP Logged

Myth Di, it is plesant to see all the anger towards K-soaps being vented out in this thread LOLLOL.

I found your post entertaining as well as enlightening as I am a little disconnected to K-soaps right now. But it's good to know that Prerna continues to be infidel and Tulsi continues to be stupid Tongue... Just like many people here, I also fail to understand how these women could be inspiration to any darn person.

Originally posted by mythili_Kiran

they are not source of inspiration..but they are source of depression for the men whose women watch those serials daily
from evening to nite...even mid nite..

Arey even men are submerged in these soaps. They also stay up with their wives till mid night just to find out what Kashish and Tusli are up to. LOL

Edited by rutumodi915 - 22 August 2007 at 9:02am
Yeah IF-Dazzler
Yeah
Yeah

Posted: 22 August 2007 at 9:38am | IP Logged
Personally, these results could be skewed or the article could be paid for... but I've always found that television is a medium which can change the rural mindset...

I mean yeah a normal woman would not go through 10 marriages and have several children from each one but seeing a rural woman who probably does not believe that she has anything better to do than to cook n clean... i'm sure these shows provoke some kind of thought process... that they are in fact capable of more than just this...

I mean why are we only taking about K-serials...

there is Saloni... which puts down all the ideas of a "gora" skin colour... which ideology is present among many Indians... and it teaches people that colour does not matte.. it is about what is within a person... there was Jassi.. which showed that despit being ridiculed by the whole world.. she still stood up and achieved more than what she could dream of... again a story about realizing yourself... your capabilities... and if you realize yourself... everyonelse will see strength in you too...
and I don't watch Kasam Se... but I know that these days she going back and destroying the Walia family.. as much as that seems ridiculous... I think just that idea involves much strength and for a rural woman to see a woman standing up for her rights and for what is wrong is different...

personally... I feel to a certain extent, these shows do provoke a certain thought process in a rural woman's mind... Afterall, these are fictous characters...stories...and are not meant to be empowering woman... but I personally feel they do...
It may seem stupid that a woman with 10 husbands can inspire a woman.. but I think most of us already live a life with much freedom/liberty.. and we are independent and strong minded females ... so what may seem stupid to us is a revolutionary idea for a rural woman... the fact that they don't need to produce 10 kids just for a son... that they don't need to be beautiful on the outside... that they can do as much as their husbands and maybe even more... and not everything's about sacrifice...

and I personally loved KYPH.. so can't end this without mentiong it... but the fact that you don't have to be subjected to someone you are not attracted towards... that you should spend your life with the person you love .. love should be the basis of marriage...

Overall, to an extent these shows, which are time pass for us, are in fact a source of inspiration and empowerment for a rural woman.
IdeaQueen IF-Dazzler
IdeaQueen
IdeaQueen

Posted: 22 August 2007 at 10:18am | IP Logged
Originally posted by tisha_g

Originally posted by SholaJoBhadkey

First of all Sourav ji welcome to DM!
yes yes.. serials inspire women a lot!
They inspire women to that extent that they become
1) More foolish
2) More superstitious
3)More sentimental
4)More revolutionanry

But do these things happen in real world! Are the
women so impractical! The simple and serene issue
of a simple woman loving a simple man is shown will drastic and sadistic
twists! Ekta's heorines are unfortunate women..who love someone,
marry another..by the time they start loving that person,that person dies and by that
time this heroine will be pregnant and this will be a widow..
again this woman gets aborted..by the dirty villans...again she meets another person..this is athird hero in her life
marries that person......after some years divorce....and again marries the first hero....
these are the typicla ekta stories and heroines!

Are the real lives of Women  so filmy ? Can any woman rural or suburban woman identify with the characters in Ekta's serials?Are the woman so immoral?
For a normal balance minded  girl/woman she loves a person and tries to get married to that person only and even after the marriage..she loves
only the married fellow...unless and untill that lover/husband is a moron or sadist...she is not that immoral....as depicted in these Kekta serials and by God's grace
 Indian society is not that degraded that a woman loves somany people in her life
in such a tragic manner......unfortunatley only the personal aspects of the woman are dealt..professional life is not dealt!

The way the young heroine is subjected to abortions,
widow hood is really tragic.....these issues really depress the people who really undergo them in real life!
One more thing... the relations are overhyped..
The relation between Sas-Bahu ,Nanan and Bahu are really
pitiful....
In some serials the sas is shown in a tragic manner...
A sas is a Sas but not a mother or a devil.. they are really depicted in impractical manner in thse serials
fortunately my folks are balanced people!!!
Even the nanan and bahu relation is also shown in very dirty manner.....as if the nanan is the replica of the evil sas.....which I really wonder if it is  real!
ONE THING I LIKE about EKTA's SERIALS is that THE HEROES are BRAINLESS MORONS.....
which we don't find it in real much..so better enjoy that in the serials itself..
Replica of Infidelity is Prerana of Kasauti Zindagi ki
Replica of Stupidity is Tulsi of Kyun Ki sasBhi Kabhi Bahu thi. and Bani Walia of Kasam Se
Brand Ambassador of Youth is Parvathi Agarwal of Kahani ghar ghar ki..who inspite of being a dadi...is very young...

Driving the point home Ekta's characters are too modern..too traditional and they are too abnormal or too down to earth...none of them can be mapped with
any ordinary balanced Indian woman...they are not source of inspiration..but they are source of depression for the men whose women watch those serials daily

Cheers,

Mythili

Well-said Mythili!

ROFLMyth , you don't like JW anymore?

I left Jai walia ,Armaan.....long back...right now...that the crush list is updated with the film actors like AB Jr,SRK and John!

Jai Walia is poor ! Oh! Earlier he was a successful,stylish businessman..now he is ordinary father with two children..with no workSmile!

This reminds me of the immense changes in the financial status of the serial people..all of a sudden they shift into a poor house from mansion...seems these people don't know basics of savings....they can atleast  take help from financial experts knowLOL!!!! BTW these people can sign any documents without seeing them and they become poor all of a suddenSmile

sourav1 Senior Member
sourav1
sourav1

Posted: 22 August 2007 at 10:25am | IP Logged
Originally posted by *guesswho*

Originally posted by sourav1

Actually some real benefits are also mentioned:

We find significant increases in reported autonomy, decreases in the reported acceptability of beating
and decreases in reported son preference. We also find increases in female school enrollment and decreases in fertility (primarily via increased birth spacing).

I don't think these can be that easily written off.

But I wonder how did they test that...it could just be that the word is getting around and women are learning more through other sources..I don't understand what kind of test would be performed to see how decrease in fertiity is related to watching ekta's soap operas? Unless, the women are watching way too much t.v. and won't look at their husbands anymoreLOL

There is a section "Data and Empirical Strategy" in the paper itself.
IdeaQueen IF-Dazzler
IdeaQueen
IdeaQueen

Posted: 22 August 2007 at 10:31am | IP Logged
Originally posted by rutumodi915

Myth Di, it is plesant to see all the anger towards K-soaps being vented out in this thread LOLLOL.

I found your post entertaining as well as enlightening as I am a little disconnected to K-soaps right now. But it's good to know that Prerna continues to be infidel and Tulsi continues to be stupid Tongue... Just like many people here, I also fail to understand how these women could be inspiration to any darn person.

they are not source of inspiration..but they are source of depression for the men whose women watch those serials daily

Arey even men are submerged in these soaps. They also stay up with their wives till mid night just to find out what Kashish and Tusli are up to. LOL

I used to watch Ekta serials earlier...I was a biiig AC of Jai Walia..WinkLOL! Whether we agree or not Ekta got good talent to put the stories in a wonderful manner...but when the limits of her stupidity has no bounds.its really depressing....for example...in Kasam se serial....the thing of Bani's sister Piya(who is married to another person) sleeping with Jaiwalia(Jiju of Piya) is the most sickest event in television history....DeadDeadDead! This is some how unpalatable twist of the serialDead....the most interesting part of KS and IF at that time was there somany discussions....will Jai walia sleep with Piya or not ? There were tons of post which resisted this move..but all the fans of Jaiwalia watched the scenes ...of the disloyality of Jaiwalia ...only to find a clue if there is any sajish....of piya ..in Jai Walia doing so...all the fans of Jaiwalia argued that "Jai Walia is good only ..but did that mistake only on the influence of alcohal"....ConfusedLOL.....

So what is that Indian women learn from these type of serials...conclusions are open to all of you Tongue

sourav1 Senior Member
sourav1
sourav1

Posted: 22 August 2007 at 10:44am | IP Logged

"Jai Walia is good only ..but did that mistake only on the influence of alcohal"....ConfusedLOL.....

So what is that Indian women learn from these type of serials...conclusions are open to all of you Tongue

They learn booze is bad LOLLOLLOL
IdeaQueen IF-Dazzler
IdeaQueen
IdeaQueen

Posted: 22 August 2007 at 11:04am | IP Logged
Originally posted by sourav1

"Jai Walia is good only ..but did that mistake only on the influence of alcohal"....ConfusedLOL.....

They learn booze is bad LOLLOLLOL

and good to Tongue ..to some peopleSmile

Saregama_fan IF-Dazzler
Saregama_fan
Saregama_fan

Posted: 23 August 2007 at 10:15am | IP Logged
Of all the shows I have watched there is not one where the woman leaves the house to work... hence these women on these shows are un-identifiable to us women who live in an urban setting. A setting where we look forward to our weekends so we get to sleep in, where on weekdays we wake up just in time to eat breakfast and rush out to work... forget waking up at 5 am to do pooja and feed the entire extended family breakfast while we stand by the dinning table watching them eat. Hence we find them regressive and sterotypical.

But the women in rural india, identify with these women at some level. Because they too feel, that they must serve their families just like these "urban" women do. They realize that they are not so "different" from them and hence are willing to listen and learn from them. If in the shows the woman lived in a nuclear family, had her loving husband, two children, went to work ...then the rural women would never be interested... b/c that would become something unreachable for them, something they can never have. But when you place an "urban" woman in a "rural" setting, i.e she does not go out and work, she sits at home waiting for her husband, the rural women identify and listen.

Not taking K-serials into consideration.. look at some shows on Zee tv which have some brilliant messages. Saloni, the skin of the colour does not matter. Dulhan -- education is important but that does not mean that an uneducated woman can't stand up for herself and fight the world, also it is never too late to get an education. Beetiyan -- daughters are just as important as sons. Teen Bahuraniya -- importance of staying together as a family. If we look at these shows they are trying to give a good message out there along with entertainment. Here the causes are easily identifiable by women (rural or urban)... many girls in India are still looked down upon b/c the are not "fair" skinned. Similarly the way a daughter is treated vs. the son of the family. Women who watch these shows may take strenght from them and learn to speak for themselves.

K-serials are made with a great statergy.. instead of trying to give any message like the ones mentioned above they work b/c they sell fantasies... the fantasy that a middle class woman can have a wealty rich man fall in love with her and take her to another world all together, where she is always right and everyone else wrong. It is the same old cinderella story re-packaged and re-packaged again and again... and girls never get bored of that "fairy-tale" ...hence their popularity... but the reason why research show they instill confidence in women is b/c of two things... 1. Women take a stand, no matter how absurd the reason for taking the stand, it is the idea that after a certain limit is crossed women have to speak up. 2. Men are always shown as the wrong-doers, they are the one who cheat, who don't trust their wives etc... and this makes women feel superior to their men... esp. in rural settings where men are usually consider the superior being...hence they get some confidence in their being women as they feel they are always right and closer to perfection as depicted in these shows.

This article just proves how strong of a medium television is... if only the televion show makers understood the tool they had in their hands and used it to empower the Indian population with the right knowledge in the right way (i.e not documentary style but as entertaiment.) For example there are many things shown in certain shows that need a lot of improvement...
(e.g: Rashi (Kasam se)/Prachi (Kayamath): being physically abused by their husbands, but not speaking a word to anyone about it. No matter how angry the husband, he has no right to abuse his wife).

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Beyond_the_Veil

Go to top