Debate Mansion

Research says, K serials good for women (Page 2)

Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 6

Page 1
Page   of 6
Page 3 Page 6

qwertyesque

IF-Rockerz

qwertyesque

Posted: 21 August 2007 at 7:33pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by tisha_g

Originally posted by sourav1

How do we reconcile the fact that we need to show things which are clearly patriarchal stereotypes with the fact that these shows do infuse confidence in women in these very patriarchal societies (read rural) when the soap lead ladies take a strong stand (irrespective of whether the stand itself is regressive or progressive)?

How does it infuse confidence when a woman is treated like a doormat and she behaves like one? It depends on what you r trying to assert - the people who are influenced are ones who are asserting a role not an identity....

Notwithstanding this apparant incidental benefit, don't these hindi soaps actually strengthen these stereotypes when propagated through such a wide reaching medium?

What exact stereotypes are we talking here?Woman married to five different men is not a sterrotype but a mythological exception. If the myth didnt have any such woman marry or live with 5 guys.. its says a lot about the judgement, discernibility and understanding of these women who submit to these stereo types...

Frankly, aren't these soaps being produced with a greater aim of keeping the cash register ringing (remember the TRP mania) rather than as an instrument of empowering women?

Duh!LOL. Tish yaar gussa hona hai toh ek sher sunao

Edited by qwertyesque - 21 August 2007 at 7:34pm

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Research says, K serials good for women (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

sourav1

sourav1

Posted: 22 August 2007 at 12:14am | IP Logged
Originally posted by tisha_g

Just picking up on the benefit pointed in the research.

For example, many women on popular serials work outside the home, run businesses and control money. In addition, they are typically more educated and have fewer children than their rural counterparts.

Tell me how many K soaps have the main protagonist running a business? They tend to have fewer children for sure, but they have more children from many marriages and some illegit ones too. So if the concept of being emancipated is the ability to walk from one marriage to another based on lack of trust then I am afraid I don't need that emancipation. And when it comes to actual issues like a real case of infidelity and domsetic abuse the protagonist takes so much crap( pardon my language).

And about the correctness of data, data can always be skewed and interpreted according to your needs, thats one thing that I learnt in my Mkt. Research class.

Yep data can be skewed, but that needs to brought out by peer review and discrepancies need to be pointed out in their methodology. Until then there is no reason to doubt the data.

btw, these K women do control hugh money LOL. And I know of at least one case where the wife takes to running business against the wishes of the husband; and another when the hubby gets a nervous breakdown and no one's there to take care of the family business. But all this is besides the point. What seems to be the case is that whenever the K women stand out strong, even if these are few and far between, that is noticed and that does make a difference.  This more than offsets the "bad" influence of the generally regressive and what some people might say "ethically corrupting" storylines.

Edited by sourav1 - 22 August 2007 at 12:16am

IdeaQueen

IF-Dazzler

IdeaQueen

Posted: 22 August 2007 at 1:46am | IP Logged

First of all Sourav ji welcome to DM!
yes yes.. serials inspire women a lot!
They inspire women to that extent that they become
1) More foolish
2) More superstitious
3)More sentimental
4)More revolutionanry

But do these things happen in real world! Are the
women so impractical! The simple and serene issue
of a simple woman loving a simple man is shown will drastic and sadistic
twists! Ekta's heorines are unfortunate women..who love someone,
marry another..by the time they start loving that person,that person dies and by that
time this heroine will be pregnant and this will be a widow..
again this woman gets aborted..by the dirty villans...again she meets another person..this is athird hero in her life
marries that person......after some years divorce....and again marries the first hero....
these are the typicla ekta stories and heroines!

Are the real lives of Women  so filmy ? Can any woman rural or suburban woman identify with the characters in Ekta's serials?Are the woman so immoral?
For a normal balance minded  girl/woman she loves a person and tries to get married to that person only and even after the marriage..she loves
only the married fellow...unless and untill that lover/husband is a moron or sadist...she is not that immoral....as depicted in these Kekta serials and by God's grace
 Indian society is not that degraded that a woman loves somany people in her life
in such a tragic manner......unfortunatley only the personal aspects of the woman are dealt..professional life is not dealt!

The way the young heroine is subjected to abortions,
widow hood is really tragic.....these issues really depress the people who really undergo them in real life!
One more thing... the relations are overhyped..
The relation between Sas-Bahu ,Nanan and Bahu are really
pitiful....
In some serials the sas is shown in a tragic manner...
A sas is a Sas but not a mother or a devil.. they are really depicted in impractical manner in thse serials
fortunately my folks are balanced people!!!
Even the nanan and bahu relation is also shown in very dirty manner.....as if the nanan is the replica of the evil sas.....which I really wonder if it is  real!
ONE THING I LIKE about EKTA's SERIALS is that THE HEROES are BRAINLESS MORONS.....
which we don't find it in real much..so better enjoy that in the serials itself..
Replica of Infidelity is Prerana of Kasauti Zindagi ki
Replica of Stupidity is Tulsi of Kyun Ki sasBhi Kabhi Bahu thi. and Bani Walia of Kasam Se
Brand Ambassador of Youth is Parvathi Agarwal of Kahani ghar ghar ki..who inspite of being a dadi...is very young...

Driving the point home Ekta's characters are too modern..too traditional and they are too abnormal or too down to earth...none of them can be mapped with
any ordinary balanced Indian woman...they are not source of inspiration..but they are source of depression for the men whose women watch those serials daily
from evening to nite...even mid nite..

Cheers,

Mythili

Edited by mythili_Kiran - 22 August 2007 at 1:47am

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 22 August 2007 at 2:03am | IP Logged

Now a days i think Reality shows influence a lot to yongsters.......Its true that Serials also do influence n inspire peoples.......esply some young people identify with certain characters, situations n values, distance themselves frm others check out how characters behaviour works, or how they themselves would behave in corresponding situations.ConfusedBut in the busy life kuch tho entertainment hona hey na so let them watch n enjoy Smile

rockstallion

Goldie

rockstallion

Posted: 22 August 2007 at 3:17am | IP Logged
K serials are good for women, would simply mean, good for them to enjoy, to relax.. Big smile

its true K serials have this never ending and same monotonous plot, repeated over and over again, far from reality,,,,with women getting younger and marriages with each one and everyone,

but if our Indian housewives after a long day of work, like to see Tulsi and baa forever, prerna in sarees and thin, parvati in spirits, then I feel there is no wrong with that .
I feel whatever it is , ektas atleast bringing entertainment to indian women... ,,,however it is,,, Smile
i would say whatever makes them happy .. Big smile

SholaJoBhadkey

IF-Dazzler

SholaJoBhadkey

Posted: 22 August 2007 at 7:27am | IP Logged
Originally posted by mythili_Kiran

1) More foolish
2) More superstitious
3)More sentimental
4)More revolutionanry

marry another..by the time they start loving that person,that person dies and by that
again this woman gets aborted..by the dirty villans...again she meets another person..this is athird hero in her life
marries that person......after some years divorce....and again marries the first hero....

Are the real lives of Women  so filmy ? Can any woman rural or suburban woman identify with the characters in Ekta's serials?Are the woman so immoral?
For a normal balance minded  girl/woman she loves a person and tries to get married to that person only and even after the marriage..she loves
only the married fellow...unless and untill that lover/husband is a moron or sadist...she is not that immoral....as depicted in these Kekta serials and by God's grace
 Indian society is not that degraded that a woman loves somany people in her life
in such a tragic manner......unfortunatley only the personal aspects of the woman are dealt..professional life is not dealt!

widow hood is really tragic.....these issues really depress the people who really undergo them in real life!
pitiful....
A sas is a Sas but not a mother or a devil.. they are really depicted in impractical manner in thse serials
Even the nanan and bahu relation is also shown in very dirty manner.....as if the nanan is the replica of the evil sas.....which I really wonder if it is  real!
ONE THING I LIKE about EKTA's SERIALS is that THE HEROES are BRAINLESS MORONS.....
which we don't find it in real much..so better enjoy that in the serials itself..
Replica of Stupidity is Tulsi of Kyun Ki sasBhi Kabhi Bahu thi. and Bani Walia of Kasam Se
Brand Ambassador of Youth is Parvathi Agarwal of Kahani ghar ghar ki..who inspite of being a dadi...is very young...

Driving the point home Ekta's characters are too modern..too traditional and they are too abnormal or too down to earth...none of them can be mapped with
any ordinary balanced Indian woman...they are not source of inspiration..but they are source of depression for the men whose women watch those serials daily

Cheers,

Mythili

Well-said Mythili!

nerdynerd

Goldie

nerdynerd

Posted: 22 August 2007 at 8:49am | IP Logged

Actually some real benefits are also mentioned:

We find significant increases in reported autonomy, decreases in the reported acceptability of beating
and decreases in reported son preference. We also find increases in female school enrollment and decreases in fertility (primarily via increased birth spacing).

I don't think these can be that easily written off.

But I wonder how did they test that...it could just be that the word is getting around and women are learning more through other sources..I don't understand what kind of test would be performed to see how decrease in fertiity is related to watching ekta's soap operas? Unless, the women are watching way too much t.v. and won't look at their husbands anymoreLOL

nerdynerd

Goldie

nerdynerd

Posted: 22 August 2007 at 8:52am | IP Logged
Originally posted by mythili_Kiran

1) More foolish
2) More superstitious
3)More sentimental
4)More revolutionanry

pitiful....

Cheers,

Mythili

well said! I couldn't agree moreClap

Post Reply New Post

Go to top