1) More foolish
2) More superstitious
3)More sentimental
4)More revolutionanry

But do these things happen in real world! Are the
women so impractical! The simple and serene issue
of a simple woman loving a simple man is shown will drastic and sadistic
twists! Ekta's heorines are unfortunate women..who love someone,
marry another..by the time they start loving that person,that person dies and by that
time this heroine will be pregnant and this will be a widow..
again this woman gets aborted..by the dirty villans...again she meets another person..this is athird hero in her life
marries that person......after some years divorce....and again marries the first hero....
these are the typicla ekta stories and heroines!

Are the real lives of Women  so filmy ? Can any woman rural or suburban woman identify with the characters in Ekta's serials?Are the woman so immoral?
For a normal balance minded  girl/woman she loves a person and tries to get married to that person only and even after the marriage..she loves
only the married fellow...unless and untill that lover/husband is a moron or sadist...she is not that immoral....as depicted in these Kekta serials and by God's grace
 Indian society is not that degraded that a woman loves somany people in her life
in such a tragic manner......unfortunatley only the personal aspects of the woman are dealt..professional life is not dealt!

The way the young heroine is subjected to abortions,
widow hood is really tragic.....these issues really depress the people who really undergo them in real life!
One more thing... the relations are overhyped..
The relation between Sas-Bahu ,Nanan and Bahu are really
pitiful....
In some serials the sas is shown in a tragic manner...
A sas is a Sas but not a mother or a devil.. they are really depicted in impractical manner in thse serials
fortunately my folks are balanced people!!!
Even the nanan and bahu relation is also shown in very dirty manner.....as if the nanan is the replica of the evil sas.....which I really wonder if it is  real!
ONE THING I LIKE about EKTA's SERIALS is that THE HEROES are BRAINLESS MORONS.....
which we don't find it in real much..so better enjoy that in the serials itself..
Replica of Infidelity is Prerana of Kasauti Zindagi ki
Replica of Stupidity is Tulsi of Kyun Ki sasBhi Kabhi Bahu thi. and Bani Walia of Kasam Se
Brand Ambassador of Youth is Parvathi Agarwal of Kahani ghar ghar ki..who inspite of being a dadi...is very young...

Driving the point home Ekta's characters are too modern..too traditional and they are too abnormal or too down to earth...none of them can be mapped with
any ordinary balanced Indian woman...they are not source of inspiration..but they are source of depression for the men whose women watch those serials daily
from evening to nite...even mid nite..

Cheers,

Mythili

Edited by mythili_Kiran - 16 years ago
Posted: 16 years ago

Now a days i think Reality shows influence a lot to yongsters.......Its true that Serials also do influence n inspire peoples.......esply some young people identify with certain characters, situations n values, distance themselves frm others check out how characters behaviour works, or how they themselves would behave in corresponding situations.๐Ÿ˜•But in the busy life kuch tho entertainment hona hey na so let them watch n enjoy ๐Ÿ˜Š

K serials are good for women, would simply mean, good for them to enjoy, to relax.. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

its true K serials have this never ending and same monotonous plot, repeated over and over again, far from reality,,,,with women getting younger and marriages with each one and everyone,

but if our Indian housewives after a long day of work, like to see Tulsi and baa forever, prerna in sarees and thin, parvati in spirits, then I feel there is no wrong with that .
I feel whatever it is , ektas atleast bringing entertainment to indian women... ,,,however it is,,, ๐Ÿ˜Š
i would say whatever makes them happy .. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
Originally posted by mythili_Kiran

First of all Sourav ji welcome to DM!
yes yes.. serials inspire women a lot!
They inspire women to that extent that they become
1) More foolish
2) More superstitious
3)More sentimental
4)More revolutionanry

marry another..by the time they start loving that person,that person dies and by that
again this woman gets aborted..by the dirty villans...again she meets another person..this is athird hero in her life
marries that person......after some years divorce....and again marries the first hero....

Are the real lives of Women  so filmy ? Can any woman rural or suburban woman identify with the characters in Ekta's serials?Are the woman so immoral?
For a normal balance minded  girl/woman she loves a person and tries to get married to that person only and even after the marriage..she loves
only the married fellow...unless and untill that lover/husband is a moron or sadist...she is not that immoral....as depicted in these Kekta serials and by God's grace
 Indian society is not that degraded that a woman loves somany people in her life
in such a tragic manner......unfortunatley only the personal aspects of the woman are dealt..professional life is not dealt!

widow hood is really tragic.....these issues really depress the people who really undergo them in real life!
pitiful....
A sas is a Sas but not a mother or a devil.. they are really depicted in impractical manner in thse serials
Even the nanan and bahu relation is also shown in very dirty manner.....as if the nanan is the replica of the evil sas.....which I really wonder if it is  real!
ONE THING I LIKE about EKTA's SERIALS is that THE HEROES are BRAINLESS MORONS.....
which we don't find it in real much..so better enjoy that in the serials itself..
Replica of Stupidity is Tulsi of Kyun Ki sasBhi Kabhi Bahu thi. and Bani Walia of Kasam Se
Brand Ambassador of Youth is Parvathi Agarwal of Kahani ghar ghar ki..who inspite of being a dadi...is very young...

Driving the point home Ekta's characters are too modern..too traditional and they are too abnormal or too down to earth...none of them can be mapped with
any ordinary balanced Indian woman...they are not source of inspiration..but they are source of depression for the men whose women watch those serials daily

Cheers,

Mythili

Well-said Mythili!

Originally posted by sourav1

Actually some real benefits are also mentioned:

[quote]
We find significant increases in reported autonomy, decreases in the reported acceptability of beating
and decreases in reported son preference. We also find increases in female school enrollment and decreases in fertility (primarily via increased birth spacing).
[/quote]

I don't think these can be that easily written off.

But I wonder how did they test that...it could just be that the word is getting around and women are learning more through other sources..I don't understand what kind of test would be performed to see how decrease in fertiity is related to watching ekta's soap operas? Unless, the women are watching way too much t.v. and won't look at their husbands anymore๐Ÿ˜†

Originally posted by mythili_Kiran

First of all Sourav ji welcome to DM!
yes yes.. serials inspire women a lot!
They inspire women to that extent that they become
1) More foolish
2) More superstitious
3)More sentimental
4)More revolutionanry

pitiful....

Cheers,

Mythili

well said! I couldn't agree more๐Ÿ‘

Myth Di, it is plesant to see all the anger towards K-soaps being vented out in this thread ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†.

I found your post entertaining as well as enlightening as I am a little disconnected to K-soaps right now. But it's good to know that Prerna continues to be infidel and Tulsi continues to be stupid ๐Ÿ˜›... Just like many people here, I also fail to understand how these women could be inspiration to any darn person.

[quote=mythili_Kiran] they are not source of inspiration..but they are source of depression for the men whose women watch those serials daily
from evening to nite...even mid nite.. [/quote]

Arey even men are submerged in these soaps. They also stay up with their wives till mid night just to find out what Kashish and Tusli are up to. ๐Ÿ˜†

Edited by rutumodi915 - 16 years ago
Personally, these results could be skewed or the article could be paid for... but I've always found that television is a medium which can change the rural mindset...

I mean yeah a normal woman would not go through 10 marriages and have several children from each one but seeing a rural woman who probably does not believe that she has anything better to do than to cook n clean... i'm sure these shows provoke some kind of thought process... that they are in fact capable of more than just this...

I mean why are we only taking about K-serials...

there is Saloni... which puts down all the ideas of a "gora" skin colour... which ideology is present among many Indians... and it teaches people that colour does not matte.. it is about what is within a person... there was Jassi.. which showed that despit being ridiculed by the whole world.. she still stood up and achieved more than what she could dream of... again a story about realizing yourself... your capabilities... and if you realize yourself... everyonelse will see strength in you too...
and I don't watch Kasam Se... but I know that these days she going back and destroying the Walia family.. as much as that seems ridiculous... I think just that idea involves much strength and for a rural woman to see a woman standing up for her rights and for what is wrong is different...

personally... I feel to a certain extent, these shows do provoke a certain thought process in a rural woman's mind... Afterall, these are fictous characters...stories...and are not meant to be empowering woman... but I personally feel they do...
It may seem stupid that a woman with 10 husbands can inspire a woman.. but I think most of us already live a life with much freedom/liberty.. and we are independent and strong minded females ... so what may seem stupid to us is a revolutionary idea for a rural woman... the fact that they don't need to produce 10 kids just for a son... that they don't need to be beautiful on the outside... that they can do as much as their husbands and maybe even more... and not everything's about sacrifice...

and I personally loved KYPH.. so can't end this without mentiong it... but the fact that you don't have to be subjected to someone you are not attracted towards... that you should spend your life with the person you love .. love should be the basis of marriage...

Overall, to an extent these shows, which are time pass for us, are in fact a source of inspiration and empowerment for a rural woman.
Originally posted by tisha_g

๐ŸคฃMyth , you don't like JW anymore?

I left Jai walia ,Armaan.....long back...right now...that the crush list is updated with the film actors like AB Jr,SRK and John!

Jai Walia is poor ! Oh! Earlier he was a successful,stylish businessman..now he is ordinary father with two children..with no work๐Ÿ˜Š!

This reminds me of the immense changes in the financial status of the serial people..all of a sudden they shift into a poor house from mansion...seems these people don't know basics of savings....they can atleast  take help from financial experts know๐Ÿ˜†!!!! BTW these people can sign any documents without seeing them and they become poor all of a sudden๐Ÿ˜Š

Originally posted by *guesswho*

But I wonder how did they test that...it could just be that the word is getting around and women are learning more through other sources..I don't understand what kind of test would be performed to see how decrease in fertiity is related to watching ekta's soap operas? Unless, the women are watching way too much t.v. and won't look at their husbands anymore๐Ÿ˜†

There is a section "Data and Empirical Strategy" in the paper itself.