Raavan

Political reason behind Sita's abduction?

sitarra thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

Ravan said in the beginning of this show that there was a political reason (not "personal", but "political" reason) why he abducted Sita. From what we know so far when Laxman cut Surpanakha's nose, Surpanakha went and complained to Ravan. That's when he decided to abduct Sita, but it seems like there were other reasons behind it. I know they will show this later in the show, but I'm kinda curious, so it'd be much appreciated if one of you, who knows well about Ravan's background can explain this. 😳 

(I apologize if this has been posted in the past.)

Edited by sitarra - 16 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

singer6 thumbnail
well, that is a reason why Ravan decided to kidnap Sita, cuz Lakshmanan cut off Ravan's sisters nose...however, once Ravan saw Sita, he fell hard for her beauty and decided that he wanted her...
akhl thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
I have read scriptures. What is being shown in Ravan serial is, in many respects, different from what is written in scriptures.
As per scriptures, Ravan abducted Sita for personal reason - he wanted to marry her and give her more importance than what Mandodari used to get.
islandboy401 thumbnail
I'll post the entire Suparnakha incident to make the story very clear:

Ram, Lakshman, and Sita were exiled to the forest for 14-years, as per request of Queen Kaikeyi of Ayodhya. During their exile, they lived in cottages, which Lakshman usually built. One of the cottages they lived in was in Panchavati, which is part of the Dandaka Forests.

One day, Suparnakha was flying across the Dandaka Forest and she happens to come along Ram's cottage. Over there, Ram is sitting outside the cottage doing tapasya, while Sita is inside, and Lakshman has gone to gather wood for the cooking.

Suparnakha sees Ram, and immediately falls in lust. She had never seen a guy who was more handsome. Thus, in an attempt to marry him, she changes her physical form to match that of a goddess. Then, she introduces herself to Ram, as the most beautiful woman in the world, and asks him to marry her.

Once Ram refuses a couple of times, then she tells him that she is Ravan's little sister, and that Khar and Dushan are also her brothers.

Ram still smiles and says that he can't marry her, since he is already married...at that minute sita comes out of the cottage....and Ram tells Suparnakha that this is his wife...

Meanwhile, Lakshman comes back from collecting wood. Suparnakha notices that this guy is just as good-looking as Ram, so she asks Ram if Lakshman is single. Ram said that nobody lives with him in the forest.

So, Suparnakha goes to Lakshman and asks him to marry her. Lakshman laughs and says, I'm my brother's servant...if you marry me, you're going to become a servant too....why do you want to become a servant of my brother and his wife...

Suparnakha gets mad...since the two brothers rejected her...then she changes back to her demon form...and claims that she is going to eat Sita....Ram just looks at Lakshman and says his name. Lakshman immediately knows what to do. He goes to her, and cuts off her nose.

Supernakha feels humiliated and escapes to her brothers Khar and Dushan, who are the Kings of the Dandaka Forest. Khar and Dushan get angry, and attack Ram. However, both get killed. Then, Supernakha flees to Lanka...and tells Ravan.

When telling him, she kind of lies to him. When Supernakha tells him the story, Ravan asks, "What were you doing in his cottage anyway". She says that she went to bring Sita (Ram's wife) as a gift for Ravan. Supernakha says that Sita is the most beautiful woman she ever saw...and felt that her brother Ravan should have it...because such a beautiful woman deserves to be his queen...not a wife of a guy living in a forest.

Ravan agrees, and considers what happened to Supernakha. Mandodari and Vibhishan try to talk him out of it, but it doesn't work in front of Supernakha's stuborness.

So, Ravan is kind of talked into going there by his sister. I'm pretty sure that if he knew that she went just to get herself married, he wouldn't have abducted Sita, because he had the complete knowledge of the Vedas, and according to the Vedas, forcibly abducting a woman is the greatest sin a man can ever commit.

Thus, it kind of was a personal reason on Ravan's part. It wasn't really political.
sitarra thumbnail
Thanks to all who tried to explain this. I knew it was personal, not political. But, in the beginning of this serial when Ravan was defeated and Ram told Laxhman to go to Ravan (who was about to die) for some lessons (I think it was shown in December). Ravan said, there was a "raajnaiteek" or "political" reason why he abducted Sita. That's what kinda puzzled me. It makes more sense when you say it's personal as he was attracted to her, otherwise, why would someone just abduct someone else's wife for political reasons and want to make her his wife? I have read Valmiki Ramayana, but it doesn't mention anywhere that Ravan had political reasons nor do any of the scriptures. I know this serial is trying to show Ravan's side of the story, but this part really confused me, as it was the main cause of the war between Ram and Ravan.
Miss.Colorfull thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
there is one more reason it,s diff. ravan wanted ram to come to his lanka but ram he don,t cuz demons live thereso ravan abducted sita then ram came and he also wanted to get killed by ram to getimmoral something like that. that,s what i heard.