Doubt-When did Snape join Hogwarts?

lucky_lakshmi thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

In the chapter Spinner's End in HBP Snape tells Bellatrix that she knows well that he joined Hogwarts as a teacher bcoz Voldemort wanted him to spy on DD and It ws under his orders that he bcame a tecaherr at Hogwarts.

But we know that when he overheard / evesdropped Trelawney and Dumbledore, he wasnt a teacher. Trelawney says that he was looking for a job himself n he was evesdropping so as to pick up points from an expertπŸ˜† 

n then when Snape tells DD that Voldemort thinks the prophecy concerns Lily Potter's son, he couldnt have been a teacher at Hogwarts as they had met on top of some mountain or something and immediately DD put some spell on him so that Snape cant attck him unexpectedly.. Snape was a DE at the time so he wasnt a teacher for sure.

So when exactly did Snape join Hogwarts? I thought he had joined after DD protected him, after he started workin for DD after he came to the good side. IE:...AFTER Voldemort disappeared. Then how was he at Hogwarts under Voldemort's orders?πŸ˜• I mean then how did Voldy order him to be teacher at Hogwarts? Its confusinπŸ˜•

Edited by lucky_lakshmi - 16 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Lady Black thumbnail
Lucky_Lakshmi-
For a while I was confused on this as well, but I believe that it might have been after Severus told Dumbledore about his feelings on the prophecy. When Severus told Dumbledore that he was scared the prophecy would in some way hurt Lily and asked if he would protect her, I believe this showed Dumbledore that he was not evil. To be truly evil, I doubt a person could care for anyone else but theirself, although Severus did not seem to care about James and poor Harry, he was willing to do anything for Lily. After agreeing to do anything Dumbledore asked him to do, I don't think he(Dumbledore) was to worried about Severus being a risk since he was sort of bound to Dumbledore now.

Dumbldore would now be able to trust Severus, and keeping him near in some place like hogwarts, might be a good idea. But of course he'd have to have some reason why Severus should be in Hogwarts, as everyone still thought he was a mean evil nasty deatheater. As for Voldemort, he would not object to having a spy in a place so close to Dumbledore. I'm not sure if this is why, but I think it would make some sense. But so far it is just my theory, and possibly a good one? Although, If I'm wrong I'd like to hear if anyone else knows for sure why.

~Lady Black~
chatterbox thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

you know what my guess is

i think when dumbledore and snape met on mountain snape asked dumbledore to protect lily and with remorse he also said keep them safe

and soon after lily and james were attacked and snape was seen in dumbledore office crying sort of he was devastated

he said i thought uwud keep them safe

and dumbledore said they put their trust on wrong person like u put trust on voldemort

then dumbledore asks snape to help him protect lily son  harry and snape agrees

he was not in hogwarts as bella says on voldemort order

like dumbledore didnt reveal all things to one person voldemort also operated alone he didnt give in his ideas to everyone and ofcourse dumbledore knew abt voldemort and entire plan or drama,

and one person who cud be in front of voldemort without revealin more wud be snape as he was super occulumens  he cud block the truth from his mind in front of voldemort

bella thought she is voldy favourite but no one was voldy favourite

we all read in one book that karakroff was found dead later after he ran away in book 4 after voldy returned to power

snape said to bella he came to voldy 2hrs after voldy came to power on dumbledore order

snape was through out dumbledore man

voldy thought he had a spy

so conclusion snape joined after lily and james were killed on dumble dore order

hope that makes sense now

lucky_lakshmi thumbnail
Originally posted by: chatterbox

he was not in hogwarts as bella says on voldemort order

like dumbledore didnt reveal all things to one person voldemort also operated alone he didnt give in his ideas to everyone and ofcourse dumbledore knew abt voldemort and entire plan or drama,

and one person who cud be in front of voldemort without revealin more wud be snape as he was super occulumens  he cud block the truth from his mind in front of voldemort

Ha thnats quite an interesting point yaar.

I quite agree...Yeah maybe Voldmeort didnt Order Snape to work at Hogwarts. Snape was ordered to spy on DD and what better place to do that than Hogwarts?!πŸ˜‰

lucky_lakshmi thumbnail

N yeah I know he joined Hogwarts after he came to the better side...I was confused of when did Voldemort order him to take up a job in Hogwarts..Of course Snape was spying on DD which is why he followed him to his interview with Trelawney.
N after he understood the way Voldmeort had interpreted the prophecy...he feared that he wud kill Lily and he was really damn good at heart and loved her for almost all the time~
So yes he did join DD after that.

But what confused me is that if Voldemort had ordered him to work at Hogwarts, isnt it too much a coincidence? πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜•

OF ocurse yeah Snape was truly Dumbledore's Man through and through! πŸ˜ƒ

But  think chatterbox's theory is really interesting....😊

Edited by lucky_lakshmi - 16 years ago
chatterbox thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

πŸ˜† glad something made sense

ye what u said also made sense snape was spyin on dumbledore on voldemort  order

but then when he changed side after lily died he was spyin on voldemort on dumbledore order

so thas how he came to hogwarts after voldemort was destroyed when he cudnt kill harry and he thought now voldy is gone

but dumbledore knew voldemort wud be bck thats why he told snape to help him in protecting harry

i think snape memory plus book 5 and 6 if u read it again u wud get all the clues

even i was confused

so i went back and read  book 5 and 6 again

i think umbridge shows up in book 5 and is like examiner in all classrooms and she asks snape how long u hv been on hogwarts he says 14yrs

so now we know when he joined hogwarts

nitin_dave thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
I don have the book now but dident umbridge ask snape, how long had he been teachin in hogwarts?
-Aastha
lucky_lakshmi thumbnail
YEA SHE DID...INcidently I was just going thru OOTP yesterday n yea when Umbrige asks him for how many has he been tecahing at Hogwarts, he says "14 years"..So thats when they are in their fifth yrs...so that means that Snape joined Hogwarts AFTER voldemort vanished(which was when Harry was one yr old)..N Now when he s fifteen, Snape says he has been teaching for 14 yrs