Page 3 of 4

Page 1 Page 2
Page   of 4
Page 4 Page 4

~*Thamizhan*~

Viewbie

~*Thamizhan*~

Posted: 24 August 2007 at 6:19am | IP Logged
Hello everyone! Sorry for joing the debate late... Well, both JK and Dan are my fav. authors, but this is a debate and I have to say good things about JK and negavtive things about Dan! So here goes... 

Originally posted by jasunap

And if all that wasn't enough, in March 2005, Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, head of doctrinal orthodoxy for the Vatican, issued an official statement on behalf of the Catholic Church, calling the novel "a sack full of lies" and urging Christians not to read it. 

Jas, I don't think that the book is full of lies, but there are many facts in the book which aren't true and few which are true... and I think that is the reason why Cardinal Bertone said that novel "a full of lies" because there are more facts which are untrue , then true! If you don't believe that my statement is true, then please read the articles in the link given below!

Link:- http://www.newmediaministries.org/DaVinciCode/DaVinciCode_Se ction_S.html

A novel that seems to be creating history…

But he has created something which has never happened before or lets say not proven well as the some of the facts he used in his books are made up and some facts are ignored... why did he ignore those facts and made some up? 

---
SriWink 

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Debate Contest : Round 1! (Page 3)" in Book Talk forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

madsoul0226

madsoul0226

Posted: 24 August 2007 at 11:37am | IP Logged
[/QUOTE]
But he has created something which has never happened before or lets say not proven well as the some of the facts he used in his books are made up and some facts are ignored... why did he ignore those facts and made some up?

---
Sri [/QUOTE]

well, Dan Brown is merely presenting a story just like JRK. Both are fictional writers. The only difference is Brown uses events in real life to fabricate his plots.

Meanwhile, The debate is about who is the best author. its not abt if the Da Vinci Code is is a non-fictional book or not. We know its a fictional book! Dan Brown himself in an interview answers ur questions.

"HOW MUCH OF THIS NOVEL IS TRUE?
The Da Vinci Code is a novel and therefore a work of fiction. While the book's characters and their actions are obviously not real, the artwork, architecture, documents, and secret rituals depicted in this novel all exist (for example, Leonardo Da Vinci's paintings, the Gnostic Gospels, Hieros Gamos, etc.). These real elements are interpreted and debated by fictional characters. While it is my belief that some of the theories discussed by these characters may have merit, each individual reader must explore these characters' viewpoints and come to his or her own interpretations. My hope in writing this novel was that the story would serve as a catalyst and a springboard for people to discuss the important topics of faith, religion, and history.

BUT DOESN'T THE NOVEL'S "FACT" PAGE CLAIM THAT EVERY SINGLE WORD IN THIS NOVEL IS HISTORICAL FACT?
If you read the "FACT" page, you will see it clearly states that the documents, rituals, organization, artwork, and architecture in the novel all exist. The "FACT" page makes no statement whatsoever about any of the ancient theories discussed by fictional characters. Interpreting those ideas is left to the reader."
[ From http://www.danbrown.com/novels/davinci_code/faqs.html]

Edited by madsoul0226 - 24 August 2007 at 12:00pm

madsoul0226

madsoul0226

Posted: 24 August 2007 at 11:56am | IP Logged
Originally posted by missy6892

Originally posted by madsoul0226

Originally posted by missy6892

[QUOTE=diyafah]

Now Now,where can we find such unexpected book!Now Doubt it's really the best selling book maybe not only New York,but the whole world!

You say that it is impossible to find a book to rival "The Da Vinci Code"? Well have you read John Case's "The Genesis Code" or Margaret George's "Mary, Called Magdalene"? These are a few examples of the novels that are like Dan Browns "The Da Vinci Code". The practically have the same concepts, the italian mysteries, the puzzles, the theme of Christianity. They are all book with the same concept with slightly varied ideas. And, please note that these two novels were written and published before Browns "The Da Vinci Code" which was published in 2003, "the Genesis Code" being published in 1997, and "Mary, called Magdolene" in 2002. Taking this into account, could Dan Brown be accused of plaguarism?

[Plagiarism means

the unauthorized use or close imitation of the language and thoughts of another author and the representation of them as one's own original work. (www.dictionary.com)]

Authors Michael Baigent and Richard Leigh all have sued Brown for Plagiarism. And all claims have been rejected by the High Court judge Peter Smith. more info found here: http://www.thebookstandard.com/bookstandard/news/author/arti cle_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002313660

So the question of Plagiarism is lifted, as it was proven by the court with acutal facts and events that all claims are false.

Sure, the cases were lifted, and your point is proven, but we have to think, why would other authors accuse Brown for plagiarism in the first place if they didnt have a point to prove?

I cannot speak for those authors and their intentions. But i can definately name couple of  reasons why they would do such a thing. 1] pubilicity 2] money

SujalkiDeewani

IF-Dazzler

SujalkiDeewani

Posted: 27 August 2007 at 7:06am | IP Logged

* Viewbie's note: Nobody except for the Participants and Book Talk Dev team are allowed to post during the debate. For any details regarding the debate or any other problem, please pm me (cool_pooja) or any other dev team member of Book Talk.*

Edited by cool_pooja - 27 August 2007 at 10:22am

madsoul0226

madsoul0226

Posted: 27 August 2007 at 8:22pm | IP Logged

haha people please take ur time in replying

i will read yet another bookLOL
...seriously where is every1 who eagerly signed up for the debate??!!

Thumbs Down

Edited by madsoul0226 - 27 August 2007 at 8:26pm

jasunap

IF-Sizzlerz

jasunap

Posted: 28 August 2007 at 5:16am | IP Logged
Originally posted by ~*Thamizhan*~

Hello everyone! Sorry for joing the debate late... Well, both JK and Dan are my fav. authors, but this is a debate and I have to say good things about JK and negavtive things about Dan! So here goes... 

And if all that wasn't enough, in March 2005, Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, head of doctrinal orthodoxy for the Vatican, issued an official statement on behalf of the Catholic Church, calling the novel "a sack full of lies" and urging Christians not to read it. 

Jas, I don't think that the book is full of lies, but there are many facts in the book which aren't true and few which are true... and I think that is the reason why Cardinal Bertone said that novel "a full of lies" because there are more facts which are untrue , then true! If you don't believe that my statement is true, then please read the articles in the link given below!

Link:- http://www.newmediaministries.org/DaVinciCode/DaVinciCode_Se ction_S.html

That my dear tamizha is why the book is a fiction and not a fact!!!

A novel that seems to be creating history…

But he has created something which has never happened before or lets say not proven well as the some of the facts he used in his books are made up and some facts are ignored... why did he ignore those facts and made some up? SriWink 

QED sri, made up theories is what makes a book fiction...you have answered yourself!!!

jasunap

IF-Sizzlerz

jasunap

Posted: 28 August 2007 at 5:47am | IP Logged
the question to be discussed here is about dan brown as a author of fictions. if his work came into controversies it is because religious groups decided that they could not accept his work, which has used religion and its stories as a background. that does not mean he has plagarised or copied even from anybody. the controversy that dan brouwn's book created, had everybody from the church to the common man, of all ages wanting to read it. it aroused a curiousity in people....

jk rowling, fantastic writer that she is...has chosen to write books for children. though i agree adults also have read her books, magic, sorcery and all the other gimmicks she uses in her books are basically for children...and the need for them to know that good will win over evil...no matter how strong it seems at first. there is no scope what soever to interpret what you read into any other meaning...

Edited by jasunap - 28 August 2007 at 5:48am

Dark Love

IF-Rockerz

Dark Love

Posted: 28 August 2007 at 8:55pm | IP Logged
I am really sorry for not being around, totally forgot Embarrassed I agree with above^ Very interesting points have been made. You know, I wanted to be in the JK Rowling team in the beginning, but now, I am actually proud to be representing Mr. Brown in this debate. I am just a 14 year old teen, and I believe I have not fully been able to grasp every single details in his books, but I have been successful n grasping what I should've grasped.

I have read, the Da Vinci Code, and Deception Point, and I currently am reading Angels & Demons. So far its just as excellent as the other two. There are many aspects of the book that attract readers. JK Rowling's Harry Potter books were written to mostly attract a younger audience (Please note, what I am writing is solely based on my opinion, what I am about to say, is not to be taken as a "fact" these are just my thoughts.) When people write, they write considering the audience that will read the book. Yes, its true that Dan Brown's books aren't for all audiences, but they aren't only for adults, if teens want to read them too, they can. (and i know tons that have)

JK Rowling's work is being read by all audiences, but its all fantasy, sure she is a wonderful writer, and I love her books, but I am really a big fan of reading something realistic. And Brown's books are the best example. They are realistic fiction, even if its all false, it can happen, its very realistic. We all aren't going to be able to do magic and fly around, but you never know about the things that happened in Brown's book, they feel so real!

Post Reply New Post

Go to top