Debate Mansion

Emotional outbreak at work not cool? (Page 2)

Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 3

Page 1
Page   of 3
Page 3 Page 3

raunaq

IF-Sizzlerz

raunaq

Posted: 19 August 2007 at 1:04pm | IP Logged
@ gauri, i dont think crying in shower is the best solution becoz then you dont know which one is water and which one are tears Confused Confused Confused

Edited by raunaq - 19 August 2007 at 1:28pm

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Emotional outbreak at work not cool? (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 19 August 2007 at 2:06pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

SholaJoBhadkey

IF-Dazzler

SholaJoBhadkey

Posted: 19 August 2007 at 2:36pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by raj5000

Every individual have level of emotional expression within oneself that is involuntarily expressed depending on situations.

For example individuals cry when some task assigned fails or they feel helpless at some point in a task.

Remember Kambli bursted in tears when he saw India loosing in calcutta. Two ways to look at : 1. Signs of a week person, never assign challenging tasks. 2. Was so involved and this expression shows how much ownership/belonging he had and couldn't take India Loosing. This was just an example. Other things to think about what kind on character portrayal would President Bush do, if he cries in public for a bad decision he made? All for crying but basically I mean here

Debate - Display of personal emotions in public while performing a professional job is a positive or a negative trait? Again I mean emotions not just crying.

Other questions:

1. If someone from your team cries on failures, would you ever assign the same individual with similar tasks?

Can't answer this honestly yet because I haven't been in a situation like it. Personally, crying at work for whatever reason is a big no no for me, so I guess when the said moment arrives - my answer would probably be no.

2. Will you personally express emotional in professional environment?

Normally - No, but I have been guilty of expressing anger once Embarrassed  - stormed out of a meeting! Usually my preferred mode is equanimity. If I do get angry, I pefer to stay silent.

3. Sorry this is only for folks who saw Movie Miracle In movie "Miracle" those of whom seen it, at  the end when Coaches team wins, he is straight faced in public even though it was his biggest achievement, was expression less, in between he sneak out in a quiet place and jumps / celebrates his triumph. Any reason why??

Apologize if this or similar topic has been discussed, feel free to close it mods. Happy Weekend folks!!

@ Gauri - ye telepathy ko scam ke liye use karein? LOL

raj5000

raj5000

Posted: 19 August 2007 at 3:40pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Gauri_3

Debate - Display of personal emotions in public while performing a professional job is a positive or a negative trait? Again I mean emotions not just crying.

"Personally, I don't like displaying emotions at work in case something goes wrong.  I just collect my self, roll up my sleeves, and get back to work again till I get it right."  waisey, i seldom screw up at workSmile

Nishaani of leader but how negativity can it impact oneself in displaying one's true reaction to situation?

Other questions:

1. If someone from your team cries on failures, would you ever assign the same individual with similar tasks?

it's okay for them to cry if that's how they react to hurdles/problems/failures.  not that I approve of it...but everyone is different.  i'll be there for them for guidance.   rest depends on their attitude.  if they think that particular task is undoable...there's little i can do to change that mindset.  all depends on their mindset and ability to meet challenges head on.

Said it - all about attitude, so if one surges towards facing the challenge, towards completion of task, with uncontrollable tears in eyes that's okay then?

already answered...nope.  i praise my team when they do a good job but do not cry or sulk if things are not going as planned.  crying/sulking never fixes anything anyways.

3. Sorry this is only for folks who saw Movie Miracle In movie "Miracle" those of whom seen it, at  the end when Coaches team wins, he is straight faced in public even though it was his biggest achievement, was expression less, in between he sneak out in a quiet place and jumps / celebrates his triumph. Any reason why??

Apologize if this or similar topic has been discussed, feel free to close it mods. Happy Weekend folks!!

raj5000

raj5000

Posted: 19 August 2007 at 3:42pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Morning_Dew

Once in a blue moon under immense pressure .. it is ok .. and I would take it a natural reaction .

Other questions:

everyone is different ... depend upon their overall performance if they are otherwise good workers as a team as well as fully efficient on their part .. I would rather keep them .. every one has a style of handling stresses or failure.

well, in my feild the more you are normal the more you are able to get the best out of your job and I feel emotions are part of normal attitude ..so expression of emotions in right place is infact needed or part of job you can say Smile but yes for major decision making .. have to keep emotions aside

Good point there, expression of emotion can depend nature of job. Smile

raj5000

raj5000

Posted: 19 August 2007 at 3:57pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by sareg

Every individual have level of emotional expression within oneself that is involuntarily expressed depending on situations.

For example individuals cry when some task assigned fails or they feel helpless at some point in a task.

Remember Kambli bursted in tears when he saw India loosing in calcutta. Two ways to look at : 1. Signs of a week person, never assign challenging tasks. 2. Was so involved and this expression shows how much ownership/belonging he had and couldn't take India Loosing. This was just an example. Other things to think about what kind on character portrayal would President Bush do, if he cries in public for a bad decision he made? All for crying but basically I mean here

Other questions:

Never as long as I am the decision maker

Everyone deserves a second chance, but yeah get your point if emotional outburst of a person impacts team moral other then that, if one seeks the potential in individuals then whats the harm?

Generally take a stroll rather than express emotions

Good one, or use the passenger seat of car in lot to express anger... and glove box to store plenty of tissues... lols

Sports it is different, you have to maintain a balance between being emotional and not showing up your opponent, you know yourself well, if you cannot control it, you rather be emotionless in front of the public but he jumping up and down in privacy. If you show up your opponent, it can either fire up your opponent or can be a cause of retribution next time around

Well said!! IMO - expressing sense of achievement of a lifetime goal and satisfaction in front of the team, who might think the best has been achieved, there might be a potential, lack of effort for other games to come :)

See a Micheal Jordan or a Wayne Gretzky or a Derek Jeter or a Mariano Riveira or a Sachin Tendulkar and in contrast see a Magic Johnson or a Curt Schilling or a Ricky Pointing

The reason why I said it is different in sports

There was a baseball game, I think a couple years ago, A player hit a homerun off a pitcher, and then stood at the plate for a couple of seconds admiring what a great shot he hit, the next guy who came up to the hit, had a 90 mph fastball coming at his head

raj5000

raj5000

Posted: 19 August 2007 at 4:05pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by mythili_Kiran

Well said on no.1

2. Will you personally express emotional in professional environment? Arrey! Yaar! Every action has its reaction...its matter of Law of conservation of emotionsWinkTongueLOL......When I get angry I work more...When I feel sad I work more...When I'm extemely happy i work more....so no problem to myfolks when I'm emotional....LOL.......But I secretly display that anger,frustation on my family members and friends !!!

LOLLOL I wish you worked hardest when angry, would have been perfect to work with then LOLlols - kiddin here.

Arrey Raj ji!so do you want to come back and close the topic by saying "No chatting! People will display their emotions as they want and I see nothing to debate here..so closing the topic"LOLTongue

Well am not sure what you mean by that, this is very much debateable topic, have heard views of folks who are total no-no being emotional at worka and vice versa. Also the reason for that comment was as you know WinkBig smile am not frequenting much on IF, so making sure topic is not a recent repeat as generic keyword searches cann't be reliable.Smile Thanks for response.

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 19 August 2007 at 6:15pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top