Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Your thoughts on art of living....? (Page 2)

qwertyesque IF-Rockerz
qwertyesque
qwertyesque

Posted: 17 August 2007 at 6:34pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by souro

Originally posted by reeps

Hi,

Visit : www.artofliving.org for information. The poster says it all.

What is your opinion on Art of Living courses? Is ancient wisdom being sold? Have you ever been to any of the courses? You benefited from it? Or is it only a money earning machine in your opinion?

Are the courses only for the elite (in India) considering there is a good amount of fee related to all courses? {This is what I heard a person claim}Or are people just hesitant to spend the money on a course, and they will easily spend it on shoes or something.LOL

I will give my opinion once I read a few.Big smile

Persy

Not only Art of Living, I'm not much interested in any such organisations and gurus. To me Art of Living is a business organisation and Ravi Shanker is just another businessman who had a somewhat new idea and implemented in a economically successful manner.

As for the other parts, no I've never been to any of their courses and not interested to join in the future also. I don't know what wisdom they sell, new or old, useful or not, but obviously selling is done and they are doing it very well. And of course it's a money making machine because this much is obvious that they are not there for charity.

To continue.. you prefer living at an exchange, food for you is indian currency, dessert is some foreign currency, Stock market is the play pen,.......LOL LOL

IdeaQueen IF-Dazzler
IdeaQueen
IdeaQueen

Posted: 18 August 2007 at 12:44am | IP Logged

having happiness is the ultimate art of living ....I some how don't entertain..the idea of some external agent teaching me "ART of LIVING ".....afterall its "MY LIFE"

I don't agree; having happiness can't be the ultimate art... the art is to be 'unmoved' or not be taken over by the ups and downs in life... cause you are gonna be happy and sad.

Persy

So you say unmoved in sense we need to attain "Sthitapragnatha", in sense..react ....in the same way to a sorrow and a happiness...in the sense..say reacting in the same manner ..

• .if we get a Euro lotterry or if there is a theft in our home
  • if we see some George Clooney or Hritik or John  and a young workless beggar...

This is the last stage any ordinary human can attain....that balance in reactions and emotions is really a tough task and one should strive for it...continously...

But there is a step lower to Sthithapragnatha..that is Satchitandanda..rather bliss(which is more than just happiness)..

I bet each and every act of human is to attain bliss.....what gives bliss to a person..varies..from person to person and even for a person it changes from the age..and the development of the maturity of the person...

What gives bliss to a human..is a factor  completely dependent on the acts a human does..there are several levels of bliss and mind you, the acts which recur...which are materialistic....donot give the ultimate bliss..they give some temporary happiness...what gives you bliss...should be known by YOU only..no external one can tell you...

Cheers,

Mythili

souro Moderator
souro
souro

Posted: 18 August 2007 at 6:59am | IP Logged
Originally posted by qwertyesque

Hi,

What is your opinion on Art of Living courses? Is ancient wisdom being sold? Have you ever been to any of the courses? You benefited from it? Or is it only a money earning machine in your opinion?

Are the courses only for the elite (in India) considering there is a good amount of fee related to all courses? {This is what I heard a person claim}Or are people just hesitant to spend the money on a course, and they will easily spend it on shoes or something.LOL

Persy

Not only Art of Living, I'm not much interested in any such organisations and gurus. To me Art of Living is a business organisation and Ravi Shanker is just another businessman who had a somewhat new idea and implemented in a economically successful manner.

As for the other parts, no I've never been to any of their courses and not interested to join in the future also. I don't know what wisdom they sell, new or old, useful or not, but obviously selling is done and they are doing it very well. And of course it's a money making machine because this much is obvious that they are not there for charity.

To continue.. you prefer living at an exchange, food for you is indian currency, dessert is some foreign currency, Stock market is the play pen,.......LOL LOL

Tell me something, do you believe they're here for charity or social welfare only. They charge money for every service then how is it different from any other business organisations. And along with all this if they provide some free service to the society then remember that even business houses provide some free services under the social responsibility feature.

Money may not always be food but food is definitely money.

IdeaQueen IF-Dazzler
IdeaQueen
IdeaQueen

Posted: 18 August 2007 at 7:09am | IP Logged

Ayyo! Ghor Kalyug! Need to present you some moral science stories ..atleast the story of Bali Chakravarthi...who gave away everything to Vaman ....

However agree with ur point of drawing similarities of Modern day spirituality courses and the business organizations...Smile

All the best for your debate Championship..its always a pleasure to read your views..

Wishes,

Mythili

chatbuster IF-Rockerz
chatbuster
chatbuster

Deactivated on request

Posted: 18 August 2007 at 7:24am | IP Logged
let's consider the three kinds of people who might take this course-

1. poor people. after paying for the course, they might actually be worse off for the experience. Tongue stay away.

2. the mcdonalds and haldiram crowd. forget about just Art of Living, this crowd should actually get to a Art of Fine Living kind of course. Wink better off spending their money on those courses even if they were useless than spending it on stuff that expands their waist-lines. LOL

3. the uselessly wealthy people. well, at least for the few weeks they are attending the course, it keeps them away from being a nuisance to society, whether on the roads or in nightclubs. Tongue actually gives them something fairly decent and sensible to talk about and think about. money is no object.

hope this helps. Smile
IdeaQueen IF-Dazzler
IdeaQueen
IdeaQueen

Posted: 18 August 2007 at 8:01am | IP Logged

Originally posted by chatbuster

let's consider the three kinds of people who might take this course-

1. poor people. after paying for the course, they might actually be worse off for the experience. Tongue stay away. ........They can opt for the free sessionsTongue or local babas..LOL or go with the Natural Dynamics ConceptWink..hope you agree with me Gauri ji Winkand CB ji Wink

2. the mcdonalds and haldiram crowd. forget about just Art of Living, this crowd should actually get to a Art of Fine Living kind of course. Wink better off spending their money on those courses even if they were useless than spending it on stuff that expands their waist-lines. LOL .This needs a serious thought Day DreamingD'oh..I fear rather wonder...if I belong to this category LOL and they will go for ND concept after that immediately...after sacrificing the money spent on eatablesSmile

3. the uselessly wealthy people. well, at least for the few weeks they are attending the course, it keeps them away from being a nuisance to society, whether on the roads or in nightclubs. Tongue actually gives them something fairly decent and sensible to talk about and think about. money is no object. Very true after that they will go for ND concept leaving the course in the middle itself Smile

hope this helps. Smile

Well explained Clap

Edited by mythili_Kiran - 18 August 2007 at 8:04am
cool_pooja IF-Sizzlerz
cool_pooja
cool_pooja

Posted: 19 August 2007 at 9:39am | IP Logged
Umm, well i find it very boring actually. Peace comes from inside you not from some course. Smile
qwertyesque IF-Rockerz
qwertyesque
qwertyesque

Posted: 19 August 2007 at 1:39pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by qwertyesque

Hi,

Persy

Tell me something, do you believe they're here for charity or social welfare only. They charge money for every service then how is it different from any other business organisations. And along with all this if they provide some free service to the society then remember that even business houses provide some free services under the social responsibility feature.

of course I agree with this post of urs that they have money interest in emancipation since its the US and everything comes with a price tag... we indians try to seek as much value as possible by assuming they are here out of benevolence...Smile

Go to top