Page 1
Page   of 3
Page 2 Page 3

Aanandaa

IF-Sizzlerz

Aanandaa

Posted: 12 August 2007 at 5:47pm | IP Logged
What is it that keeps India ticking???

I was actually in two minds about the subject of this topic..A part of me wanted this because I really agreed with the author of the following article that this should be our new motto, also I thought it would grab everyone's attention easily..A part of me is apprehensive about the title of this topic because it would put some of you off from even
entering into this thread, mistaking it to be another 'bollywood' inspired post...Anyway, I have decided to take a chance... Embarrassed...So here we go...Smile...The following is an article from Times Of India...Please go through it and also share your responses for the questions that I have in the End...

For long, we just had our 5000-year-old culture, our heritage, our awe-inspiring traditions and our breathtaking landscapes to offer. Didn't mean much to an average American, or British, did it? But today, it's no longer difficult for us to explain the goodness in our country. From music to fashion, from cinema to art - the vibrant energy is there for all to feel. Today we have an A R Rahman rubbing shoulders with Andrew Lloyd Webber, Himesh Reshammiya performing to a one lakh-plus crowd at Wembley, actor Irrfan Khan smearing greasepaint alongside Angelina Jolie. We can boast of a Prasoon Joshi bringing home two Lions from Cannes, Aditya Chopra and Karan Johar taking to Western shores our jingoism-laden technicolour cinema. A Sania Mirza stirs as much controversy with her skirts as a Paris Hilton with her wild escapades. A designer label by Rajesh Pratap called 'Pratap' has a nervous Prada scurrying to his doors to alter the similar-sounding label. Shah Rukh Khan and Aishwarya Rai rock wherever they go, including Madame Tussauds.

In short, it's no longer bindi and multani mitti packs that foreigners are buying from us. Young India is selling dreams - not only to zillions of its brethren but also to the West. When newspaper reports scream of a woman scrap dealer becoming a millionaire or a rickshaw puller's son topping the civil services, we know that India has arrived. These are stuff dreams are made of. If anybody were willing to wager a snap poll, pride and confidence in the nation would rank high with the average Indian. We may be a country, which is still a mess of antiquated procedures, with a slothful public sector and bureaucracy, but it doesn't deflate our egos or make us bury our heads ostrich-style. No, we are not trying to shrug off our Indian-ness in our rush to embrace global standards. "We are becoming modern but not Westernised. In fact, Indians are becoming more conscious of their identity as there's a new confidence to accept Indian-ness. Take our music, film, art, fashion - they are essentially Indian, showcasing India with a pride never seen before," says ad filmmaker and lyricist Prasoon Joshi.

If we were to talk about our comfort level with our Indian-ness, what better than Hinglish- our own concoction of the Queen's dialect? Are we afraid of ending each oh-so-propah English sentence with a yaar? Nah! "Identities should be a healthy mix of both Indian values and Western culture. Today, there's a greater sense of confidence and optimism about India internationally than it was, say, a decade ago. The country's values are far more cherished today," says young parliamentarian Milind Deora.

"Adding values is not bad as long as we don't lose our identity. But we also need not latch on to our values unnecessarily just because we are treading the path of a global superpower. The respect should come from within," explains Milind.

Does the feeling come from deep within? "Being an Indian gives me strength. It makes me feel rooted," says Prasoon. The sense of pride that polo champion Angad Kalaan felt when the Indian national anthem played in the World Cup is inexplicable. "It was a proud moment. In fact, I love to flaunt my Indian roots when I compete abroad," he beams.

If love's in their heart, it's in their craft too. "I've tried to weave in 100 per cent Indian-ness in my couture. To go global we need to address our roots," says designer Sabyasachi Mukherjee, whose designs have graced the New York and London Fashion Week. "Everybody wants to make a mark. To regret being part of the heritage means losing out in a crowd. It makes us wannabes," he emphasises. "The whole world is looking at India. Those who shrug off their Indian roots lack self-confidence and belief," says Prasoon.

Why shy? India's never looked this charismatic and energetic before. And our new slogan is 'chakk de India'.

TIMES NEWS NETWORK

1. Do you see India staying in one piece in 2057?

2. What are the favorable points that would keep India going in the next 50 years???

3.Sixty years of freedom is a happy occasion for every Indian. There are celebrations being organised in India and abroad to commemorate this event. What are your perceptions about this celebration???

4.Who are the leaders that you admire and think that would make a difference to the Present day India and really would make our so called dream of 'India Shining' come true???

5.Lastly, what is your opinion about the average age of the leaders that are running the country today...Don't you feel that the 'young India' will do much better if represented by 'young people'???

This is my post in dedication to the '60 years of Independence!'...

Cheers,
Raksha

Edited by raksha.l - 12 August 2007 at 5:48pm

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

raj5000

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Chak De India!!" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

IdeaQueen

IF-Dazzler

IdeaQueen

Posted: 12 August 2007 at 8:14pm | IP Logged
Nice topic Raksha ji! Clap Will comeback and edit this post in the later part of the day! Smile

chatbuster

IF-Rockerz

chatbuster

Deactivated on request

Posted: 12 August 2007 at 11:29pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by raksha.l

yes. centripetal forces wanting to break away are smaller than the centrifugal that are gravitating towards india. even pakistani friends of mine have lately started bemoaning the partition. and ironically, indians seem to be happier that we parted ways

2. What are the favorable points that would keep India going in the next 50 years???

ensuring that we keep electing the same politicians so that we dont have a new breed wanting to put their fingers in the pieTongue

3.Sixty years of freedom is a happy occasion for every Indian. There are celebrations being organised in India and abroad to commemorate this event. What are your perceptions about this celebration???

i think we shld fly under the radar a bit. like the chinese. no point chest-pumping and getting others riled up and scared till we are there.  celebrating inside our country and a bit outside is fine thoughSmile

4.Who are the leaders that you admire and think that would make a difference to the Present day India and really would make our so called dream of 'India Shining' come true???

i liked omar abdullah, scindia, varun gandhi. some on personality/ leadership skills, some for policy.

5.Lastly, what is your opinion about the average age of the leaders that are running the country today...Don't you feel that the 'young India' will do much better if represented by 'young people'???

going with young folks is a a gamble. time for it was earlier when we needed to break out of old mentalities. now that we seem to be doing reasonably well, why rock the boat with a hot-head?Smile

happy independence day to all the folks and yourselfSmile

Cheers,
Raksha

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 12 August 2007 at 11:47pm | IP Logged

Ofcos yes......We have diff language,Diff culture, diff states,Diff religion ...but all feel proud as a indian...Smile

Reduce political parties, two or three parties enogh.....if anyone currpt ,panish on spot, Take out all reservations....use merit. Give scolership to under poverty students...empower farmers give them new equipments n technology.....and change the old mentality/concept...

Plan to do some stage shows and other indian club programsSmileNRI n NRE  helping our nation by sending forgin currency to our country.Smile

Someone new the young active person should india's PM or President.

We can t avoid mature old leaders.....but they should allow and support yogsters to come forward.Smile

Saare jahase aacha Hindustan hamara...jai hind...

Cheers, just chill
Raksha .......vinu'sSmile

IdeaQueen

IF-Dazzler

IdeaQueen

Posted: 14 August 2007 at 2:15am | IP Logged
Originally posted by chatbuster

yes. centripetal forces wanting to break away are smaller than the centrifugal that are gravitating towards india. even pakistani friends of mine have lately started bemoaning the partition. and ironically, indians seem to be happier that we parted ways

ClapClapClap Wellsaid

ensuring that we keep electing the same politicians so that we dont have a new breed wanting to put their fingers in the pieTongue

Tongue 

i think we shld fly under the radar a bit. like the chinese. no point chest-pumping and getting others riled up and scared till we are there.  celebrating inside our country and a bit outside is fine thoughSmile

SmileWellsaid

i liked omar abdullah, scindia, varun gandhi. some on personality/ leadership skills, some for policy.

Sachin Pilot  can be added that listEmbarrassedSmile

going with young folks is a a gamble. time for it was earlier when we needed to break out of old mentalities. now that we seem to be doing reasonably well, why rock the boat with a hot-head?Smile

happy independence day to all the folks and yourselfSmile

Cheers,
Raksha

Interesting views Rahul ji Smile.Its nice to quote some already well written posts some times..so escaped from typing all the views in detailed manner.Thankyou CB ji

IdeaQueen

IF-Dazzler

IdeaQueen

Posted: 14 August 2007 at 2:16am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Believe

We can t avoid mature old leaders.....but they should allow and support yogsters to come forward.Smile

Wellsaid Vinu ji Smile

souro

souro

Posted: 14 August 2007 at 9:32am | IP Logged

Though it's difficult to predict anything but going by the record of the past 60 years I think India will stay in one piece.Smile

Opening up of trade which is creating newer oppurtunities everyday. Once people have work, they forget about separate states and all such petty issues and instead concentrate on improving their condition further.

I didn't get this question. What's there to perceive??Confused Every country celebrates their independence day and occasions like 50 yrs, 60 yrs, etc. are celebrated with some extra pomp.

I'm not much into admiring political leaders.Smile

It's hard to tell if young politicians will do better or not as most of the young politicians comes from family of poiliticians and obviously got training under their father or mother whatever. So, how much their thinking process differs needs to be seen.

Happy Independence Day to you too Raksha.

Cheers,
Raksha

sareg

IF-Dazzler

sareg

Posted: 14 August 2007 at 11:22am | IP Logged

I dont even know If I will be in one peice in 2057(actually I know for sure, if I live till 2057, I wouldnt dare to wear a one-peiceWink) But chances of India staying one peice are intact

Economy, my contribution to itWink
everyone celebrates these big # anniversaries, wont you celebrate your 40th birthdayWink?

Manmohan Singh, PC, Naidu
most of the young

watch --> http://www.ibnlive.com/videos/46697/.html

Cheers,
Raksha

Post Reply New Post

Go to top