Debate Mansion

Socialized Health Care..? Good or Bad..? (Page 6)

Post Reply New Post

Page 6 of 7

Page 1 Page 5
Page   of 7
Page 7 Page 7

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 03 August 2007 at 12:18am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Socialized Health Care..? Good or Bad..? (Page 6)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

mermaid_QT

IF-Sizzlerz

mermaid_QT

Posted: 03 August 2007 at 12:40am | IP Logged

The elections are coming up and us voters will hear once again from our presidential candidates in 2008 and I seriously would like to see radical changes.  I like this article- just one among thousands actually written by scholars and analysts in the field analyzing the shortcoming of our system.  

What more can I write?  I only worked in one of the top notch medical research institute called UCSF before joining another topnotch Biotech called AMGEN..  My knowledge is limited Wink

U.S. Health Care System A 'Dysfunctional Mess,' NIH Ethicist Writes In JAMA Commentary

Main Category: Public Health News
Article Date: 18 May 2007 - 3:00 PDT

The U.S. health care system is a "dysfunctional mess," and politicians who say it is the best in the world appear "clueless rather than patriotic or authoritative," NIH ethicist Ezekiel Emanuel writes in a Journal of the American Medical Association commentary published on Wednesday, AP/Long Island Newsday reports. Emanuel notes that although the U.S. spends more than 16% of its gross domestic product on health care -- more than any other country -- the U.S. life expectancy of 78 years old ranks 45th in the world and the infant death rate of 6.37 per 1,000 live births is higher than in most developed countries. Emanuel proposes a gradual elimination of Medicare, Medicaid and the employer-sponsored health system and the creation of a system that would provide basic health insurance to all U.S. residents. Under the plan, people would be able to choose their insurance carrier and purchase upgraded coverage. The program would be funded by a value-added tax of about 10% on businesses (Johnson, AP/Long Island Newsday, 5/15).

An abstract of the commentary is available online.

"Reprinted with permission from http://www.kaisernetwork.org. You can view the entire Kaiser Daily Health Policy Report, search the archives, or sign up for email delivery at http://www.kaisernetwork.org/dailyreports/healthpolicy. The Kaiser Daily Health Policy Report is published for kaisernetwork.org, a free service of The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation . 2005 Advisory Board Company and Kaiser Family Foundation. All rights reserved.

Edited by mermaid_QT - 03 August 2007 at 12:41am

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 03 August 2007 at 12:47am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

mermaid_QT

IF-Sizzlerz

mermaid_QT

Posted: 03 August 2007 at 12:54am | IP Logged
About the interesting comment about scientists earning bread and butter due to scientific advancements, hmmm, in fact, scientists (ok, real ones, else there are funny branches of so called sciences that are not even science, instead involve knitting, stitching and such activities Embarrassed) are the reason those advancements occur and the community benefits itself sharing those advancements  Smile   Our grants have nothing to do with US healthcare-insurance and hospital money. Human subjects and substrates also need to be reported to NIH, not just the hospital.

NIH is US Govt run independently to support research. Then there are also private fundings as well. We at AMGEN fund multiple projects globally.

@ the comment about laughing at scientific advancements- who did that?  the funny part was speaking as if helipads are in every hospital everywhere in the USA.  smirk wasn't about tests.  we develop diagostic assay kits.. got too much of functional brain to ridicule our own work here.

Edited by mermaid_QT - 03 August 2007 at 1:50am

mermaid_QT

IF-Sizzlerz

mermaid_QT

Posted: 03 August 2007 at 1:10am | IP Logged
Great then! NO COUNTRY is perfect with their healthcare. so why glorify US over India? Tongue
Pick your own and relax chillax.. and yeah, no need to quote articles, since no one is defending Indian system here Wink..  Ofcourse it has its flaws and no one has denied them. 

Just don't comment on others' relatives and their bread and butter.  I was honest about admitting how I am much more benefitted for having 50% of my family with an MD / MS.  Did not speak for India, just spoke for myself there, as coming from an elite family there.

As far as googling article goes, as long as it is from a valid source such as NIH I will back it and find time for it. Smile..
It is not clapping at a spam mail with the stories distributed in the name of different people Wink.  I recieve truckloads of health-related articles directly from NIH that makes me aware that all that glitters is not gold and this system is utterly flawed in spite of the choppers and what not Wink simple as that.
Mocking research articles breaks forum codes.  Should we consult the MODS? Tongue

Oh.. and did we forget someone googling karmayog and meaning of Geeta shlok already? Wink hmmmmmmm

Edited by mermaid_QT - 03 August 2007 at 1:39am

kabhi_21

IF-Rockerz

kabhi_21

Posted: 03 August 2007 at 1:18am | IP Logged

Originally posted by tisha_g

I would like to aska question here to people who think that medcal care is readily available in India.
We say this becuase we have the money to make an upfront payment.What if we did not have that money? Would we be even treated for a big ailment or an injury?
One of my friends from Mumbai mentioned that if we need a good surgeon for a surgery, we need to give extra money as bribe.
I have dealt more than once with visitors coming from India (as I mentioned earlier) and they received quality healthcare in emergencies.
Rutu,
the second incident that you mentioned about Canada would not have happened if the mom went to a doc in the USA.

1. If you have insurance you are treated in India without any advance payment....

2. If you dont have insurance.... u need money but its cheaper as compared to many other countries.....

3. if you dont have money and insurance.... u wont be treated anywhere in the worldLOL

kabhi_21

IF-Rockerz

kabhi_21

Posted: 03 August 2007 at 1:34am | IP Logged

Originally posted by Gauri_3

fits in the over all picture. if it can affect my decision, there must be others thinking on the same lines. have seen two deaths in close friend circle because of commute related problem. Not having choppers to lift seriously sick patients surely fits in tpo over all health care system. Smile Lack of adequate ambulances certainly fits in to over all healthcare system.

as far as what fits in healthcare system, according to this debate, doctors relatives and private hospitals do not fit in socialized healthcare either.

A person can die while going to hospital in air lift as wellBig smile

kabhi_21

IF-Rockerz

kabhi_21

Posted: 03 August 2007 at 1:38am | IP Logged
If we go on comaring the technology in India and USA or for any two countries (one developed and other developing).... i think its not fair at all.....

the people in USA have a lot to invest money into healthcare and so does govt have the money unlike India.... if u compare mumbai to NY health care i am sure u will face more problems in NY.... the thing is that they are not comarable.... the poppulation in India is very high and the nuber of hospitals and beds is comparatively too less.... (I have done project on this while financing a hospital in Mumbai).... considering all the problems Indian healthcare system is just doing great.... Smile

Post Reply New Post

Go to top