Debate Mansion

Socialized Health Care..? Good or Bad..? (Page 3)

Post Reply New Post

Page 3 of 7

Page 1 Page 2
Page   of 7
Page 4 Page 7

Meena1

IF-Stunnerz

Posted: 02 August 2007 at 1:12pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Socialized Health Care..? Good or Bad..? (Page 3)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

raunaq

IF-Sizzlerz

raunaq

Posted: 02 August 2007 at 1:20pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by tisha_g

Originally posted by Meena1

Originally posted by mermaid_QT

nice discussion / debate Clap Clap i prefer Indian healthCARE system over the one available here. It does not surprise me a bit that several surgeries are getting outsourced Smile Clap .. Insurance costs, doctors' insurance protection against law-suits, salaries of people in the preofession, medicare, FDA politics, pharmaceutical costs, quality of overall healthCARE over here makes me upset. Switzerland / India was far better.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#ff0099 size=2>..I would also prefer Indian Health care system when an urgent operation needs to be done... I think if you have the money India is the place to get any medical surgery done..

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#ff0099 size=2>Although the medical profession in India may be tained by some doctors and hospitals they still do have some of the top notch internally recognized doctors..

And what happens if you don't have money? You get shooed away from one hospital to another and the person dies in the mean time. Have heard of such an incident that happened to a friend. How can you call it socialized then? If quality medical care should be available it should be too everyone. Unless then we cannot call it a socialized healthcare.

well said tisha. Clap Clap Clap each place has its own pros and cons. i was telling one of my folks about the same thing that happens there. money talks everywhere. when you have money, you get the best of the health care service everywhere, but when you are poor, you have to suffer on the expense of bad administration in the health care system, late appointments etc. and i guess this is true for everywhere with the exception of few places where poor are given same treatment as rich. but that is dependent on other factors such as population, economy, etc.

Edited by raunaq - 02 August 2007 at 1:31pm

season915

Goldie

season915

Posted: 02 August 2007 at 1:33pm | IP Logged

nice discussion / debate Clap Clap

i prefer Indian healthCARE system over the one available here. It does not surprise me a bit that several surgeries are getting outsourced Smile Clap ..
Insurance costs, doctors' insurance protection against law-suits, salaries of people in the preofession, medicare, FDA politics, pharmaceutical costs, quality of overall healthCARE over here makes me upset. Switzerland / India was far better.
..I would also prefer Indian Health care system when an urgent operation needs to be done... I think if you have the money India is the place to get any medical surgery done..

Although the medical profession in India may be tained by some doctors and hospitals they still do have some of the top notch internally recognized doctors..

I agree.

If you don't have proper insurance at the time of emergency, you definitely do get the best treatment available. But for people who are not very financially stable, they will probably have to save money for 4-5 years to pay their bills. One of my friends is an international student and cut his finger while trying to cut some vegetables. Since he did not have insurance, we went to the local hospital and he was attended to immediately but after a couple days, he receoved a bill of about $500. The guy was completely frustrated and kept saying that he could have had the little tape put on his finger for like Rs. 50 in India. Confused

Reminds me of one case in Canada too. One of my friend and his family are permanent Canadian residents. He studies here, while his parents stay in India. The mom, with his sister, were fliying to Canada via UAE to see my friend. She had severe stomachache while in UAE and the doctor there told her that she had a kidney problem and needs to be operated ASAP. The daughter was 9, and hence she told the doctor to give her a strong pain killing steriod, so that she can reach Canada. As soon as she reached there, the son took her to the hospital. They made her wait for apparently 8 hours while she whined in pain. After 3 days, they said they still could not reach a definitive diagnosis and hence, they need to wait. Frustrated, she returned to India with her children. And, she was treated the first day and she is hale and hearty now. (This was just 2 months ago.)

These kind of cases really make me wonder how good these socialized systems are. Confused

Edited by rutumodi915 - 02 August 2007 at 1:35pm

raunaq

IF-Sizzlerz

raunaq

Posted: 02 August 2007 at 1:41pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by rutumodi915

nice discussion / debate Clap Clap i prefer Indian healthCARE system over the one available here. It does not surprise me a bit that several surgeries are getting outsourced Smile Clap .. Insurance costs, doctors' insurance protection against law-suits, salaries of people in the preofession, medicare, FDA politics, pharmaceutical costs, quality of overall healthCARE over here makes me upset. Switzerland / India was far better.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#ff0099 size=2>..I would also prefer Indian Health care system when an urgent operation needs to be done... I think if you have the money India is the place to get any medical surgery done..

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#ff0099 size=2>Although the medical profession in India may be tained by some doctors and hospitals they still do have some of the top notch internally recognized doctors..

I agree.

If you don't have proper insurance at the time of emergency, you definitely do get the best treatment available. But for people who are not very financially stable, they will probably have to save money for 4-5 years to pay their bills. One of my friends is an international student and cut his finger while trying to cut some vegetables. Since he did not have insurance, we went to the local hospital and he was attended to immediately but after a couple days, he receoved a bill of about $500. The guy was completely frustrated and kept saying that he could have had the little tape put on his finger for like Rs. 50 in India. Confused

Reminds me of one case in Canada too. One of my friend and his family are permanent Canadian residents. He studies here, while his parents stay in India. The mom, with his sister, were fliying to Canada via UAE to see my friend. She had severe stomachache while in UAE and the doctor there told her that she had a kidney problem and needs to be operated ASAP. The daughter was 9, and hence she told the doctor to give her a strong pain killing steriod, so that she can reach Canada. As soon as she reached there, the son took her to the hospital. They made her wait for apparently 8 hours while she whined in pain. After 3 days, they said they still could not reach a definitive diagnosis and hence, they need to wait. Frustrated, she returned to India with her children. And, she was treated the first day and she is hale and hearty now. (This was just 2 months ago.)

These kind of cases really make me wonder how good these socialized systems are. Confused

rutumondi, i havent read the whole thread. but i will stick to what i said quoting tisha. however, i do agree with you, and i have heard some weird cases. there are some people who prefer the treatment to someother place becoz of quality and i do agree with it also. regarding your friends bill, thats shocking, yaar he could have used some bandage from pharmacy. that bill might give anyone a shock for a finger cut unless he used axe to cut itOuch. also your friend is lucky to have known the problem earlier, it sad some people just beat around the bush instead of letting you know the exact problem. the girl is lucky to have caught the problem earlier and treated for it. its quite sad.

Edited by raunaq - 02 August 2007 at 1:44pm

season915

Goldie

season915

Posted: 02 August 2007 at 1:55pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by raunaq

regarding your friends bill, thats shocking, yaar he could have used some bandage from pharmacy. that bill might give anyone a shock for a finger cut unless he used axe to cut itOuch.

Lol @ axe LOL

Actually, he cut a little chunk of his finger and hence, we had to go the hospital. Minor cut hota to obviously we would have had rushed to CVS. But still though, $500 is just Shocked

Originally posted by raunaq

also your friend is lucky to have known the problem earlier, it sad some people just beat around the bush instead of letting you know the exact problem. the girl is lucky to have caught the problem earlier and treated for it. its quite sad.

It is indeed sad. The guy (my friend) was working part-time for summer and because of his mom's problem, he got an unexpected vacation in India, so he is all excited LOL

mermaid_QT

IF-Sizzlerz

mermaid_QT

Posted: 02 August 2007 at 2:09pm | IP Logged

nice discussion / debate Clap Clap

i prefer Indian healthCARE system over the one available here. It does not surprise me a bit that several surgeries are getting outsourced Smile Clap ..
Insurance costs, doctors' insurance protection against law-suits, salaries of people in the preofession, medicare, FDA politics, pharmaceutical costs, quality of overall healthCARE over here makes me upset. Switzerland / India was far better.
..I would also prefer Indian Health care system when an urgent operation needs to be done... I think if you have the money India is the place to get any medical surgery done..

Although the medical profession in India may be tained by some doctors and hospitals they still do have some of the top notch internally recognized doctors..

And what happens if you don't have money? You get shooed away from one hospital to another and the person dies in the mean time. Have heard of such an incident that happened to a friend. How can you call it socialized then? If  quality medical care should be available it should be too everyone. Unless then we cannot call it a socialized healthcare.

what happened in municipal / govt hospital? Confused 
i wasn't attempting to glorify indian system, but in comparison and contrast, said to prefer it. 
i have seen truck load of ppl in wards coming in every minute at KEM hospital and getting medical attention!
even over here, those w/o medical insurance could be shooed away! isn't it?  Am I missing something?

raunaq

IF-Sizzlerz

raunaq

Posted: 02 August 2007 at 2:13pm | IP Logged

And what happens if you don't have money? <span>You get shooed away from one hospital to another and the person dies in the mean time. </span>Have heard of such an incident that happened to a friend. How can you call it socialized then? If quality medical care should be available it should be too everyone. Unless then we cannot call it a socialized healthcare.

what happened in municipal / govt hospital? Confused i wasn't attempting to glorify indian system, but in comparison and contrast, said to prefer it. i have seen truck load of ppl in wards coming in every minute at KEM hospital and getting medical attention! even over here, those w/o medical insurance could be shooed away! isn't it? Am I missing something?

they do, but dont they get billed later, in case of emergencies dont they get the treatment and billed later, or may be iam missing the point.in case of no insurance, they have to pay whatever they can upfront later. thats why i said before that money talks Confused have heard loads of weird cases and people beefing about long wait hours.

Edited by raunaq - 02 August 2007 at 2:15pm

mermaid_QT

IF-Sizzlerz

mermaid_QT

Posted: 02 August 2007 at 2:19pm | IP Logged
@ RUTU , about outsourcing LOL LOL
Yeah, it is like a grand vacation.. they have these beach packages added for the recovery! Smart business!! Clap

Over here, there has not been ONE incidence, when the doctor gave me more knowledge about my condition, than I already had!
(no offense meant at anyone.. sorry if it appears that way! about the co pay, I really felt as if i rolled the 20 dollar bill into a beedee and smokedWink) - more harm, no good. LOL
ok, joke apart- the entire APPOINTMENT system is so messed up. What are they so busy doing? Golfing? My colleague whose father died of stomach cancer, sister has ovarian cancer complained of something that could suggest serious condition of reproductive system. She was offered an appointment after 6 months Tongue ..
Urgent care / emergency is not what she needed, but 6 months could be too long a time to wait. Where is the sense here?? The one time I went to urgent care for ear infection, I sat for 4 hours till I fainted.
Anytime I see KP ad, my blood boils...

although all this may seem unrelated, never undermine how one thing leads to another.. and how a system is built. Embarrassed

Edited by mermaid_QT - 02 August 2007 at 2:22pm

Post Reply New Post

Go to top