Debate Mansion

A fiery woman on Al Zazeera - must watch (Page 3)

Post Reply New Post

Page 3 of 6

Page 1 Page 2
Page   of 6
Page 4 Page 6

season915

Goldie

season915

Posted: 03 August 2007 at 7:13pm | IP Logged
I finally saw the video and I was totally awe-struck by the frankness of this Muslim lady.
I agree that she is sitting safely in America, while commenting about Arabic countries. But, who even in America, has taken this bold step of making him/herself heard on national TV? I think this was totally phenomenal and courageous on this lady's part and kudos to her for that. Clap

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "A fiery woman on Al Zazeera - must watch (Page 3)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 03 August 2007 at 9:22pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

mermaid_QT

IF-Sizzlerz

mermaid_QT

Posted: 04 August 2007 at 12:04am | IP Logged
Originally posted by ~LiL*PrInCeZ~

I agree with maya.  The idea of a woman standing up against injustice is great...there should be more who speak up for the truth. But since this woman doesnt live in the middle east (hasnt been for about 18 years) what gives her the right to talk abt all tht...its not like she's going through all of that.
If she were in the middle east, I would support her tho

I agree with you both.
I am not as impressed anymore as I was in the beginning. It clearly is much easier to sit far away and speak up..   But, none the less, there is a message for some. 
I'd love to know what women of that region think of her-  those she is trying to stand up for / tell about.  Are they inspired to fight for what could be right? Embarrassed

Edited by mermaid_QT - 04 August 2007 at 12:04am

lighthouse

IF-Dazzler

lighthouse

Posted: 04 August 2007 at 8:34am | IP Logged

I just saw the video and kudos to her for speaking up...

It doesn't matter where she speaks from as we know from Salman Rushdie's case , fatwa can be issued to anyone anywhere.. It will be interesting to see who comes forward to protect her..Confused

persistence

Goldie

persistence

Posted: 04 August 2007 at 9:08am | IP Logged
I didn't see the entire video, but I wasn't really impressed; I think cause the way she was speaking...the tone was insulting rather than englightening! She appeared hostile.

Persy

Morgoth

IF-Veteran Member

Morgoth

--

Posted: 04 August 2007 at 9:37am | IP Logged
I do not completely agree with everything that Wafa Sultan says, but give her full credit for speaking up.

There are comments about how what she has done is not a big deal and that she is speaking from the safe haven of the US.

Here is another video which refutes both those ideas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Negt6IzxPTo&mode=related&sear ch=

1. While she lived in the Middle East, she was just as brainwashed or afraid as the other women who live there even today. It took 17 years of living in the US before she spoke up.

2. She gets death threats every single day even in the US. The mullah she argued against only called her a heretic. Do you think she would have survived for another day had she spoken up in the Middle East?

Its easy for us to say that we would give more accolades to a woman who stays in the Middle-East and argues from there itself. It is more difficult to overcome the brainwash and fear that has been inculcated in a person who lives there.

A simple example of an "open discussion" in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 2006:

http://saudijeans.blogspot.com/2006/02/exclusive-riyadh-inte rnational-book.html

This is what the blogger says:

"Few minutes after the beginning of the panel, Dr. Mohammed Al-Zulfa, member of Shoura Council who called for the right of women's driving, came and sat next to me. I could not talk to him, even though I really wanted to do that. But after the panel was ended, the same people who were gathered around Al-Dakheel came and stood around Dr. Al-Zulfa and started talking to him. They were telling him to stop calling for women's rights, and that he has no right to talk about such issues because they should be only tackled by Sheikhs and scholars. Al-Zulfa refused to obey, and asked what's the difference between him and these sheikhs. "Is it something with my clothes? I can change my clothes, you know," he told them.

The organizers were telling the people that they have to leave because they are closing the gates now, but the extremists kept on shouting. "Do you want to face God on judgment day with women's driving next to your name?" one of the sheikhs asked Dr. Al-Zulfa who did not reply"

This is the reaction a well known and educated MAN gets. What will these people do to a WOMAN who speaks up there I don't even want to imagine.

sadia_lahori

sadia_lahori

Posted: 04 August 2007 at 11:54am | IP Logged
doesnt seems like she is a muslim Dead Angry not at all impressedd infact she is making fun of islamic values all i can say is discusting aur islam mein yeh bilkul nhin kay app dosroon ko majbr kareen kay wo muslim hoo jain

mchlrosenblum

mchlrosenblum

Posted: 11 February 2009 at 6:01pm | IP Logged
Very nice.  Anyone know who this woman is??

Post Reply New Post

Go to top