Posted: 16 years ago
Should people marry early or later in life?

Earlier generations approved and advocated early marriages for a number of reasons. One of them was, the two grow up together as a couple ..mould themselves into each other's lives and views, practices, sometimes beliefs and traditions, basically hoping that things will work out well cus you've known each other from a very early age. May be they thought it would avoid friction at later stages in life as well.

Nowadays some prefer later marriages, usually after completing studies, finding your own type of work or career, knowing someone over few years before tying the knot and also, by this age, they say that you know yourself well, you know what you want out of life, from the man/woman you want to marry and also from the relationship.

Both approaches come with their pros n cons. Which way is better in your opinion?

Originally posted by sohn

Dont be too early /late..........😊

Earlier generations approved and advocated early marriages for a number of reasons. One of them was, the two grow up together as a couple ..mould themselves into each other's lives and views, practices, sometimes beliefs and traditions, basically hoping that things will work out well cus you've known each other from a very early age. May be they thought it would avoid friction at later stages in life as well.

Nowadays some prefer later marriages, usually after completing studies, finding your own type of work or career, knowing someone over few years before tying the knot and also, by this age, they say that you know yourself well, you know what you want out of life, from the man/woman you want to marry and also from the relationship.

Both approaches come with their pros n cons. Which way is better in your opinion?

I think 'liberation' of women, more women in workplace, faster travel, media etc. have changed our life styles and our thinking patterns......This has also meant that we have become more active in taking control of our own lives. While parental respect is still an important aspect of our lives here in India, more and more people want to marry a person of their choice and dont accept a blind date or rather arranged marriage partner.

Marriage may happen at the age of 25 or it may not happen until you're 45 .I guess age is just a number...πŸ˜ƒ I Feel we should marry when we find someone you want in your life to the end of your days and when we are mentally prepared for the life long commitment😊

Edited by Believe - 16 years ago
marry wen u fel the time is right for you

personally
i think il marry later in life
cos u think if u do martry early u will be tied down and u may end up regreting not having fun and enjoyinh urself while u were young

which will cause u to have doubts about ur relationship and the maybe trouble in ur married life
Originally posted by damilola

marry wen u fel the time is right for you

personally
i think il marry later in life
cos u think if u do martry early u will be tied down and u may end up regreting not having fun and enjoyinh urself while u were young

which will cause u to have doubts about ur relationship and the maybe trouble in ur married life

Dont people have fun and enjoy themselves if they marry early? πŸ˜•

I think one needs to establish independence before committing to marriage. Bhagwaan na kare, if something happens later and you are totally dependent on your spouse, you will be nowhere. I am not saying that you should not be dependent on your better half. There would be no point of marriage then. But one should not be so dependent that it would be impossible to live the life alone. Especially girls who get married when they are 20-21 are perfect examples of this. They get married before even graduating and then take care of the house and kids. For these women, to live alone would be very very difficult. So, I think once you are capable of managing your own life, that's when you should get married.

Of course, I don't think you should get married at 35 just to be modern and cool. At a certain age, it becomes very difficult to adjust and compromise with someone else since you have lived quite a big chunk alone and as per your own ideologies. So, I think a balance should be maintained. Even with kids, I don't think you should wait too much. Because sure you don't want to be 60 when your child is 18. My best friend's case is such and she has a HUGE generation gap with her parents since she they are almost two generations apart.

There is a right time for everything. But then, one should not compromise just because they have to stay with time. If you don't get someone decent when you are 25, you don't want to end up marrying some Tom, Dick or Harry just to be in time to have kids! So, it really depends upon circumstances but too late or too early is never a good idea!

kyun bhai, abb marriage ki baat kyun. woh live-ins ka kya hua πŸ˜• πŸ˜›

Originally posted by Gauri_3

gauriπŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†.............

shaadki ka laddoo hai,jo khaaye wo bhi pachtaaye n jo na khaaye wo bhiπŸ˜‰πŸ˜†...........aapko jab lage ke aap is laddoo ko digest kar sakenge tabhi khaaiyega,late ya jaldi yeh aap par depend karta haiπŸ˜†πŸ˜†.......jkπŸ˜›......

Originally posted by rutumodi915

I think one needs to establish independence before committing to marriage. Bhagwaan na kare, if something happens later and you are totally dependent on your spouse, you will be nowhere. I am not saying that you should not be dependent on your better half. There would be no point of marriage then. But one should not be so dependent that it would be impossible to live the life alone. Especially girls who get married when they are 20-21 are perfect examples of this. They get married before even graduating and then take care of the house and kids. For these women, to live alone would be very very difficult. So, I think once you are capable of managing your own life, that's when you should get married.

Of course, I don't think you should get married at 35 just to be modern and cool. At a certain age, it becomes very difficult to adjust and compromise with someone else since you have lived quite a big chunk alone and as per your own ideologies. So, I think a balance should be maintained. Even with kids, I don't think you should wait too much. Because sure you don't want to be 60 when your child is 18. My best friend's case is such and she has a HUGE generation gap with her parents since she they are almost two generations apart.

There is a right time for everything. But then, one should not compromise just because they have to stay with time. If you don't get someone decent when you are 25, you don't want to end up marrying some Tom, Dick or Harry just to be in time to have kids! So, it really depends upon circumstances but too late or too early is never a good idea!

Hmmm...I liked what you said Rutu 😊
Originally posted by Gauri_3

I didnt know you gotta post only personal topics n other topics are off radar! πŸ€”

Well..one of my closest friend is being pressurised to marry early...shes 20! and all  elder folks are totally for this thing with their great justifications towards this! Poor thing she is scared to death n not ready, hence the debate. Has nothing to do with what I feel, jus needed to know other's views on this thing. I hope thats ok πŸ˜•

Originally posted by sohn

It depends from person to person. I got married early and worked hard to make my career and then had a child too. I could manage it allπŸ˜ƒ. In my case everything worked well. But I have friends who waited and established themselves career wise first and now going for marriage at 28 which is not too late. So whatever works.

I don't think earlier generation gave much thoughts into marriage. They had lots of children so married each one off as soon as they became adults. It was easier for them that way. 

My opinion is the same which I already gave. Whatever works for you. You don't have to get married just to please anyone. Take a plunge when you are ready to share responsibility and plan a better future together.