Debate Mansion

Re-touching originals

greatmaratha thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

http://india-forums.com/news/article.asp?id=42827

Naya Daur, a B.R. Chopra classic is being released in colour.  Thats almost akin to tampering with the original.  Like the lead heroine said in this article above, black and white had its own charm... so why not let it retain its old charm, why try to make it new? 

How would it be if someone tried to put some eye shadow on Mona Lisa?

What is your opinion?   Should some originals be retained in their present beauty or can they be put under a scanner and be made more modern? 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

moron thumbnail
I agree, somethings should be just let their way.
I shudder to think pyaasa in color ..would be an equally a bad thing. But then again if it can get the youngsters to watch these movies then so be it, i can always go & play the original on my dvd. Then again i wonder if any of the younger lot will be intrested in it. Saw the promos of naya daur & man dilip kumar looks so handsome , i am a huge fan & i would kill to see him on the big screen , unfortunately no one is going to screen old movies in cinema , so if its going to happen by color then be it , i shall be more than happy to see the greats on the big screen any day than watching some third grade bullshit that bollywood dishes out week after week.
season915 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originals are originals and they are best that way. Agreed πŸ‘πŸΌ

Speaking for myself though, I have not watched Naya Daur and was not planning to do either as I had heard about it but there was no reason for me to go and get a DVD to watch a 50 year old film. Now since the colored movie is hitting the theater, I might as well go and pay $10 for the masterpiece. For people who think it is losing beauty this way can always rent an original DVD and watch it. By producing it in color, I think there is a large scope for the younger generation to watch this movie. I agree with moron (That is a very innovative ID, I must sayπŸ˜†) about youngsters being able to watch it.

Edited by rutumodi915 - 16 years ago
sohn thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Sometimes you feel like watching it for just the effort these new doods have taken to colour the whole thing off πŸ€” 
nerdynerd thumbnail
An Original is call original for a reason! Nothing can ever be as good as the original thing!
I saw an promo of colored dilip kumar movie few days ago...I wanted to puke...they just butchered it...the colors aren't even good for them to re-touch it...all of their faces and clothes have diff. neon colors...it all looks so tacky.
As for black and white, I think it's just classy. Directors and camerman in those days knew they were filming black and white...so they played with shadows and angles which adds to the greatness of the movie. Now with color they have taken that away.
I say ban Re-touching crap! Let the originals be!
raunaq thumbnail
Originally posted by: tisha_g

Black and white have their own charm. The play of light and shadow would be destroyed if they were touched up with color. I was very dissappointed with Mughal e azam.😑The whole beauty of the song "jab pyar kiya" was because it was the only song in the movie shot in color with the seeshmahal background.πŸ‘ Now what importance would the light and darkness shots in Kaagaz ke phool hold if it was retouched in color?πŸ˜•

i read an article in another forum about releasing the movie in colour. it was kind of silly i think. why the heck you want to release it in colour. black and white has its own charm. i am not a big fan of those movies but i have watched some of the classics and LET THEM BE THE WAY THEY ARE, why playing around with latest technology. madhubala looks classy in black and white πŸ˜ƒ . i watched mughal e azam two years ago becoz of the hype of this movie, i had to get this movie and watch it. everything was in black and white and suddenly the song was in colour. i panicked πŸ˜• . i thought i had gotten a mauled video . on inquiring my friend, he told me that it was during the time that colour movies were introduced so this song was made in colour. anyhow, some things should remain original, it looks better that way.

Edited by raunaq - 16 years ago
ChameliKaYaar thumbnail

Originally posted by: greatmaratha

http://india-forums.com/news/article.asp?id=42827

Naya Daur, a B.R. Chopra classic is being released in colour.  Thats almost akin to tampering with the original.  Like the lead heroine said in this article above, black and white had its own charm... so why not let it retain its old charm, why try to make it new? 

How would it be if someone tried to put some eye shadow on Mona Lisa?

What is your opinion?   Should some originals be retained in their present beauty or can they be put under a scanner and be made more modern? 

Remix ka jamaana hai bhaiπŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†.... Do you know if this remix has been done by DJ Suketu or VJ Sophia?πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

UDman thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
It is true, black and white have their own charm... however, they are not burning all the black and white copies of the movie and replacing them with the color version... if you wish to enjoy the black and white version instead of the color, you still can! πŸ˜ƒ
raunaq thumbnail
how about making these movies in black and white

kyon hogaya na

dhai akshar prem ke

bluffmaster

umrao jaan(new one)

dhoom 2

naqaab

how about trying these techniques on some of these movies πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† dhoom2 and bluffmaster is in my good list howeverEdited by raunaq - 16 years ago
persistence thumbnail

I like the effort -- makes me wanna watch the old movies; these movies definitely got good story-lines, but without color, I lose interest. πŸ˜•

Any who, why call it tampering? Again looking for a negative in something that is done with positive intention --- they want to promote good films, and I think color is good way to lure youngsters, and make them appreciate the old. OR I can be practical and say that it is just a way to make more money in a money-minded world.πŸ˜ƒ

And speaking of mughal-e-azam --- what a long movie; I must have watched it in 3-4 sittingsπŸ˜†; had it been in black-white, I wouldnt' have had the patience to watch it at all. Color does add value to the product (at least in my case).

Edited by reeps - 16 years ago