Discussion: Should judges be saying this? - Page 3

Posted: 16 years ago
Who builds the hype? Why was Smita's make over given so much importance? When the gala rounds started, Emon was given more than his fair share of comments, both the hosts went gaga over him, so did the Judges. "Puja, main tumhari Puja karna chahtha hoon"- was this comment fair coming from a judge like Udit Narayan? "Puja" bhagwan ya badon ki kii jaati hai... phir ek nanhi bachi ke baare mein is tarah kehkar usse ek pedestal par rakhne ka haq kya judges ko hai? Prashant and his sephoy connections are so well exploited, it is as if the junta are being urged to vote for him merely because his likes lay their lives for the nation - Isnt this unfair considering it is a singing contest and not a contest for show of "national pride" or bravado. The whole hoopla about abhishek's parents was shameful, in my opinion.... It was so clearly staged and scripted, was it fair to influence public votes by such means...

I completely concur with Raunaq, the entire Deepali Chang thing was so lighthearted, it may have been flirtatious but it was intended as a light moment and that was blown up - not by the Judges, but by Sony, through their hosts...    Why blame Anu for it? Like Anu said, his comments were post her performance, so how did he influence her performance. At best, he could have influenced the voting junta.... but then, the junta hates Anu Malik, so like what happened with Emon, shouldnt the junta have rushed in to save Deepali from the evil comments of Anu Malik???

Going back to Maya's question on - Should judges make comments like this - I would say two answers

a) If this were a proper competition, going purely on talent and no other hype surrounding it - then the answer is NO, no one can be winner but the person who comes out uneliminated, and to call someone winner before the last vote is cast is being presumptious and amounting to influencing the votes.

But this isnt just a contest, it is a whole popularity game...

b) Therefore, answering in the positive, I would say, why cant the Judges comment. This is a popularity contest and votes are cast not on how the contestant sings, but how he / she performs and how well he/ she connects with the audience. The Judges in the Gala rounds have to only guide the audience on who performed technically superior in that round, point out the obvious flaws, so that the casual voter/ audience can derive benefit from the judges comment and not make obvious mistakes by voting for someone who gave a flawed performance.    In doing this, if the Judges have to give over the top comments, so be it, after all dramebaazi is the keyword of the contest.

Originally posted by ammmu

Speakin gof Amit here, I don't think its a matter of favourites at all... for those who watched Indian Idol 2, do you all remember when Anu Malik told Karunya when he sang "Kaava Kaava" that he is his Indian Idol?? He said practically the same comment to Karunya as he did to Amit on Friday... but, as we all know, Karunya didn't win II2.

But the question is should judges be saying such stuff 'I don't know about finals but you are the Indian Idol'. Then why hear others? Encouraging or criticizing is different but declaring things like this...is it fair?

Priya, Good to see you buddy. 🤗 

My only problem was judges declaring one or two contestants as Indian Idol already like Anu with Amit and Javed ji said the same to Ankita.

But good to see analysis on judges altogether😊. Many here have different takes on judges' comments and makes a good read.

Edited by Maya_M - 16 years ago
Originally posted by Maya_M

But the question is should judges be saying such stuff 'I don't know about finals but you are the Indian Idol'. Then why hear others? Encouraging or criticizing is different but declaring things like this...is it fair?

Honestly, I don't think they are 'declaring' anything... they're happy and therefore give a positive comment - it's the janta's decision whether or not they want to take it into consideration.. it's not like they only think that contestant can be the INdian Idol.....

For lack of other innovative ideas on how to prod the public to keep voting for single contestant and build up a big hype about a few contestants, they use this "oft quoted" line...  rather cliche, I agree, but seems to do the trick for now.

In SRGMP, HR declares at the end of every show " I appeal to all my fans to vote for you" almost like a threat to every other contestant, that buddy, buck up, this guy has got the entire HR brigade behind him...  Isnt that akin to booth capturing, where one Leader asks the entire village/ villages to vote for one person for reasons other than his political acumen and leadership qualities and ability to serve the nation!  Is that fair?

The whole hype about female contestant winning the Indian Idol!  Is this a female vs. male contest?  or is it a singing contest?  Why should anyone be it the Host of the show or the Judge on the show appeal to the audience to vote for female contestants?    Is it the male's fault that Sony decides that this is the year for female liberation on Indian Idol.  If so, they should have made it clear, so that these guys dont waste their time on II, they can do fruitful work and submit their applications when fair play and talent is recognised in the show format.

Priya, Good to see you buddy. 🤗 

My only problem was judges declaring one or two contestants as Indian Idol already like Anu with Amit and Javed ji said the same to Ankita.

But good to see analysis on judges altogether😊. Many here have different takes on judges' comments and makes a good read.

🤗 to you too buddy! 

Yes, the thread is interesting indeed and helps get a overall perspective on public mood on the whole tamasha currently on. 
hmm...i think it is rie...as he wants amit 2 b at the top but he cant do anything...janta ka kya bharosa,...u c tht is y he said so
personally, i don't think that anu mallik has any tact whatsoever... he either goes overboard with the praise or makes accusations at the contestants if they don't do a good job.
Very well said.I personaly think Anu Malik coments are biased. I also think he's got the big mouth and he should really watch his mouth while givin his comments.
I agree! Anu shouldn't be making those kinds of comments. How hard is it 2 just stick to judging the singing...that's what he and the rest of the judges are there for!!! I like him for being upfront about the contestants singing but not saying what he said to Amit or commenting on their personal lives. I feel he's really getting carried away being in front of the camera sometimes.