sareg

IF-Dazzler

sareg

Posted: 24 July 2007 at 10:51am | IP Logged

Originally posted by SmarterDesiKid

Hello, I'm backLOLLOL

so
what makes a good debate?

Lots of yellow boxesSmile, but thread runs pages and pagesTongue, without getting closedWink, such a flamer that originater of thread has been told to contact [email protected]Cry

party poopers are ignoredWink

man can dream cant heLOL?

I am sure Ravan would love thatWink

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "What makes a good debate? (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

chatbuster

IF-Rockerz

chatbuster

Deactivated on request

Posted: 24 July 2007 at 11:02am | IP Logged

oh another thing. doosre debator bakre ko itna halaal bhee mat karo kee woh kisi kaam ka naheen rahe. bas, thoda ghayal kar doh, phir dekho mazaa. kaise bhadak kar khud aayega debate karne Wink LOL

Dabulls23

IF-Stunnerz

Dabulls23

Posted: 24 July 2007 at 11:31am | IP Logged
Two friends on a verge of becoming enemies Wink LOL make best debates Embarrassed

Edited by Dabulls23 - 24 July 2007 at 11:34am

Guardian Angel

IF-Sizzlerz

Guardian Angel

Retro Podcast Team

Posted: 24 July 2007 at 2:53pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by kabhi_21

A debate needs a healthy discussion with matured talking supported by some facts, unbiased as to religious and cultural values (unless the topic is on that) also unbiased with ur love for food, person or country.... Smile

ClapClap

I love the debate part but its hard for me to sit and read pages of one postConfused  I do that at school so one or two paras. is enough.Big smile

mermaid_QT

IF-Sizzlerz

mermaid_QT

Posted: 25 July 2007 at 2:16am | IP Logged
a healthy exchange of ideas for and against a particular concept, hypothesis / thought / observation.. done with an OPEN MIND to understand the other POV rather than a set of arguments designed to have the last word..

http://www.halton-forum.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=1975 &pid=33826&mode=threaded&start=

'logical errors people fall into when they believe they are making a point'

Debate is, by its nature, at the heart of politics. But, in the memorable words of Mr. Eric Idle, an argument isn't just saying "No, it isn't" all the time. Here are the major logical errors people fall into when they believe they are making a point. None of these things will result in deleted posts, but for the sake of clarity and your readers, try to be aware of them:

i. Non Sequitur: A statement that does not follow logically from what has just been said; a conclusion that does not follow.

ii. Generalisations: A statment based on unreliable, too little, or biased evidence; extrapolating a general event from an individual event.

iii. Ad hominem: Attacking a person who presents an argument rather than dealing with the argument logically.

iv. Bandwagon: Arguing that if everyone is doing something, it must be OK.

v. Circular reasoning ("begging the question"): An assertion that re-states the point just made, or is included as part of its own proof.

vi. Red Herring: Dodging the real issue by drawing attention to something irrelevant.

vii. Post Hoc, Ergo Procter Hoc: "After this, so because of this", assuming that sequence implies causality.

viii. Either ... or: Stating that only two choices exist when there are more.

ix. False analogy: Assuming that because two things are alike in some ways, they must be alike in other, unconnected, ways.

x. Equivocation: A statement that relies on the mis-reading of a particular sense of a word.

Edited by mermaid_QT - 25 July 2007 at 2:21am

IdeaQueen

IF-Dazzler

IdeaQueen

Posted: 01 September 2007 at 9:25pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by chatbuster

oh, for starters, you need to have a bakra on the other side. which is why u dont want to make too many friends around here. never know when u'll need a fresh supply of bakras Wink LOL

Confused..what if we don't get a bakraTongue but a LionSmile.....

IdeaQueen

IF-Dazzler

IdeaQueen

Posted: 01 September 2007 at 9:27pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by sareg

Hello, I'm backLOLLOL

so

Lots of yellow boxesSmile, but thread runs pages and pagesTongue, without getting closedWink, such a flamer that originater of thread has been told to contact [email protected]Cry

party poopers are ignoredWink

man can dream cant heLOL?

I am sure Ravan would love thatWink

This is ideal DebateLOLLOL

Ms. Bholi Bhali

IF-Sizzlerz

Ms. Bholi Bhali

-

Posted: 02 September 2007 at 2:15am | IP Logged

Hello, I'm backLOLLOL

so

One that gives you 2-3 options, or one that doesn't give options at all?
Does a debate actually have to make sense, or do we make it make sense ourselves?
Does it need facts, or does it need possible theories?

interesting, I always wondered how to rate a debate!!

I guess, you need a group of stubborn ppl, who will make sure that other in the group agree to them, doesn't matter if their last breath comes in the middle!!!
they have to prove a point, aur apni galti nahian mani kabhi, and have to keep going on and on and on, until the other party quits or agrees or the topic is closed by a dev team member, telling everyone in other words to "get a life"

Edited by Ms. Bholi Bhali - 02 September 2007 at 2:25am

Post Reply New Post

Go to top