Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

have we lost respect for the old

sweetsang Goldie
sweetsang
sweetsang

Posted: 19 July 2007 at 9:59pm | IP Logged

http://www.hindustantimes.com/storypage/storypage.aspx?id=b7 786bfb-0a75-4aef-9042-a369e3a4e81f&MatchID1=4500&Tea mID1=2&TeamID2=6&MatchType1=1&SeriesID1=1122& ;PrimaryID=4500&Headline=Family+throws+granny+on+garbage +heap

Family throws granny on garbage heap

A weak, ill, 75-year-old woman was found lying on a heap of rotting garbage in Erode, Tamil Nadu, on Sunday morning. She told her rescuers she had been thrown there by her daughter and grandsons who wanted to get rid of her.

A local couple, Periaswamy and Mohanasundari, found the semi-paralyzed Chinnammal Palaniappan. She told them she had been living with the family of the youngest of her three daughters, who would quarrel incessantly over who should take care of their infirm mother. On Saturday night, Sarasa, the daughter, allegedly told her two sons to take their grandmother to a spot from where she could never return. The boys bundled Chinnammal into an autorickshaw and threw her on the dump.

"She never complained about her family's behaviour, only rued the fact that she couldn't move without help," Mohanasundari said. The couple took Chinnammal to the office of Jayabharath, a social organization, who on Wednesday informed the government.

Social Welfare Minister Dr Poongothai expressed outrage. "I have asked the collector to take adequate care of the old lady, and take legal action against the children," she said. But the family hasn't been traced. "The lady can't tell us the address," KM Murgesan of Jayabharath said

is this how we treat our elders.. its India..the only place wher elders are like gods..where they are respected rather were respected...

wher are our sanskars?even at list they should have put her in a home but No they had to throw her out like trash..

mermaid_QT IF-Sizzlerz
mermaid_QT
mermaid_QT

Posted: 19 July 2007 at 10:39pm | IP Logged
OMG! It breaks my heart!!   Cry .. This is not an issue about respecting old people.
This is about not loving your own family Angry. Whatever circumstances there may be, throwing a mother in garbage dumpster is unacceptable and should be dealt with seriously.
mittijalebi IF-Rockerz
mittijalebi
mittijalebi

Posted: 19 July 2007 at 10:51pm | IP Logged
this article makes me want to cry. having a daughter of my own only i know how much i do for her right now. the sleepless nights, the running around during the day, basically my whole life revolves around her. and to think what if she did something like this to me when i need her.....absolute disgraceful.

those kids will meet their match......nothing is hidden from the power above. Clap
raunaq IF-Sizzlerz
raunaq
raunaq

Posted: 19 July 2007 at 10:51pm | IP Logged
no one in the right mind would do it, this is startling. the issue mentioned here is heart rending. no matter how much the parents would torture kids, one should not resort to such kind of deplorable deed. if the mom had asked her to leave her to some spot, that garbage is not the spot. these kids have definitely gone out of their minds. such kids need to be taught a lesson.

Edited by raunaq - 19 July 2007 at 10:57pm
mermaid_QT IF-Sizzlerz
mermaid_QT
mermaid_QT

Posted: 19 July 2007 at 11:03pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by mittijalebi

those kids will meet their match......nothing is hidden from the power above. Clap

i second that
sweetsang Goldie
sweetsang
sweetsang

Posted: 19 July 2007 at 11:12pm | IP Logged

daughter.doin this ..its so hurting.. Cry

Edited by sangeetarangdal - 20 July 2007 at 2:57am
kabhi_21 IF-Rockerz
kabhi_21
kabhi_21

Posted: 20 July 2007 at 12:25am | IP Logged

Originally posted by sangeetarangdal

typical one would expect taht from a son...but a daughter...its so hurting.. Cry

this is disgraceful act... but what give u right to say this sentence....

what do u mean by "typical one would expect tht from a son... but a daughter... its so hurting..."

pls refrain from making such statements.... i know how much my uncles took care of my grandma who was paralysed for 10 years.... i know my parents took care of my grandpa and my aunt when they were seriously ill... in case of aunt even we cd get infection and still they took her care... my grandpa had insomnia and lost all memory....

just dont make such statements...Angry

Edited by kabhi_21 - 20 July 2007 at 1:06am
IdeaQueen IF-Dazzler
IdeaQueen
IdeaQueen

Posted: 20 July 2007 at 1:27am | IP Logged

The issue of abandoning old parents by morons is not a new issue!!

This disease of abandoning old parents is:

1. Gender neutral
  2. Financial status neutral
  3. Nationality neutral
  4. Religion neutral
  5. Time neutral

However I pray always for those morons who abandon old parents, much more bitter state and bitter death !!!!

Fortunately,we had good times with our grandparents even though they did'nt have any wealth to carryforward to the future generations!! They lived a royal life in their old age in comparison to their young age! All of us had a good time with them.

Taking care of elder parents or grand parents is completely dependent on the upbringing and the love one has towards the parents.One should not abandon old parents just for the sake of their family(wife and children)!!!

I've seen 2 sets of old couples.One set of old people were abandoned by the one and only one  Son because of his evil wife!!!!! Even though the old parents had money they spent their life in sorrow in their last days.

In another case a old couple were taken good care by the son-in-law well! he took their care much much more than a Son!!

Abandoning parents need not mean leaving in them in some shabby place.Leaving old parents in OLD AGE HOMES is also abandoning parents!! The thought of OLD AGE HOMES itself is an issue of sadness!!Why should old parents to go to OLD AGE HOMES?? Recently we went to some of our old tenant's house,we went to their house warming ceremony.He is the only Son of their parents,no daughters also.All these days we were thinking that his parents died long back! Only after we going to that function we knew that his mother is very much alive and she lives in a OLD AGE HOME!! Reason....no matching of mindset between MIL and daughter in Law!!!

I wonder how these type of so called MEN exist! A person who cannot convince his wife in the issue of taking care of his Parents is not a MAN,same applies to WOMAN also! These type of people cannot love their partners also!! If they cannot love their old parents or the old parents of the partner ,what's gaurantee that they love their partner if he /she gets aged????

Some feel sending money to the parents is just enough!! Money is not everything!! So the issue of abandoning parents does not arise with financial poverty but the poverty in humanity!!!

Regards,

Mythili

Go to top