Ban on Ragging in Delhi University

Posted: 16 years ago
A very strict ban was imposed in Delhi University this year for no ragging to the new students.  Six students got suspended because of the ban.  There are mixed feelings amongst students- some are in favor of ban and some are not.  I am sure that most of the DM members must have gone thru the ragging phase in colleges.  Let us hear from all of us the pluses and minuses of ragging.
initiation can be good fun, if it stays in a limit

it can be real fun to see someone fill a bucket of water with a spoon 😉

but it is not for crybabies who always scream discrimination/humiliation 😆
If ragging is carried out in a cleaner way like introducing each other and provide guidance to new students then it is OK. But this is not the case in many universities in India. There were few suicides cases of new students in the past and I have also heard that new students left the college after getting frustrated from ragging. Ragging in a limit is acceptable but who is going to establish the limit?

Ragging is one thing that I think have missed out because of not doing college in India. I am all for ragging, as long as it used as a method for inter-mingling of seniors and juniors. It is definitely fun to watch some random dudes proposing random girls 😆

But I have heard lot of cases where it goes out of hand and ends up hurting the students big-time. When I read Five Point Someone, I was surprised to see that even those brainy geeks were into extreme ragging. I can just imagine that if it goes on in IIT, it sure would be worse in other places. Delhi being the place it is, I think it is better to miss out on little fun and look at the bigger picture instead which might help a lot of new students!

I've had a taste of it just once when it was my first class at the college and a dood just came to the podium and introduced himself as the prof. He asked a few questions to few of my class mates and then singles me out for a detail question time! He asks my name, my interests, my choice of subjects for the year...etc. I didnt get it one bit till he just asked that and walked out of the class!??!?! Everyone was shocked and everyone realised what was happening and started laughing. I kinda smiled too, thinkin of it as  raggin/prank or whatever. It went worse from the next day when that senior student started making my life hell since he knew my timetable for classes and his friends would support him.

I hated it but apparently it was a common thing to do that and I had no clue cus he looked like a prof too ðŸ˜• ðŸ¤¢ I dunno if this can be classified as ragging or not, but it just scared me everyday to go for my classes initially cus at that pt in time.. I didnt even know how to deal with such namuney 😔Edited by sohn - 16 years ago
ragging should be within limits....and who sets the limit....well our common sense should. what sohn has described above is not acceptable at all. its difficult enough to start college..........a new phase in your life, but it doesnt need to be more difficult with unnecessary ragging by idiots like that.

here in my uni we have a fun day (i guess its equivalent to ragging) but its only the first day. all the newcomers are paired up with a senior and its a day full of activities and games and pranks played on others.

that is whats acceptable..........beyond that, its not ragging but BULLYING. ragging should not lead someone to commit suicide.....in fact the person who was ragging should be sent to jail for that offense.
Originally posted by JhoomBJhoom

If ragging is carried out in a cleaner way like introducing each other and provide guidance to new students then it is OK.

you dont call that ragging then, you call it students orientation 😆 😆 😆
Originally posted by mittijalebi

ragging should be within limits....and who sets the limit....well our common sense should. what sohn has described above is not acceptable at all. its difficult enough to start college..........a new phase in your life, but it doesnt need to be more difficult with unnecessary ragging by idiots like that.

here in my uni we have a fun day (i guess its equivalent to ragging) but its only the first day. all the newcomers are paired up with a senior and its a day full of activities and games and pranks played on others.

that is whats acceptable..........beyond that, its not ragging but BULLYING. ragging should not lead someone to commit suicide.....in fact the person who was ragging should be sent to jail for that offense.

i always wanted to experience ragging. my friends told me about their parents experience on ragging which was hell lot of scary and we all wanted to experience it too 😭 😭 😭 a mixture of ragging with daily activities makes the environment funful but i agree with mittijalebi here, some surpass that stage and it becomes more of a bullying. in hindi movies, they used to show how the seniors would go around ragging the newcomers and i wished i was there too, just to have little fun but some of the ragging they showed was more than humiliation which i guess shouldnt be done. ragging should be done within limits as others above said. but ragging banned 😭 😭 😭, now where will all the fun go? 😕
well, maybe some ppl don't like to be picked on ppl that they don't know.....doesnt matter whether its all in fun or not. every individual is different and i think all the seniors should respect that.

rag (within limits) those who are willing to be ragged. but the ones (such as the omelette one) shouldnt have been picked on in the first place if she wasnt a willing participant.

something that may not seem to be a big deal to us might be to someone else. who knows, maybe they were bullied as kids and this brought up some bad memories.

raunaq wants to be ragged. 😆   kya IF par bhi ragging banned hai ya nahin? 😳   but wait...i'm the freshy here and your the senior........hows this gonna work. 😕

Originally posted by mittijalebi

raunaq wants to be ragged. 😆   kya IF par bhi ragging banned hai ya nahin? 😳   but wait...i'm the freshy here and your the senior........hows this gonna work. 😕

no real mein ragging acha hota hoga 😛 i am not against those senior and freshman mingling but its kind of ok and having activities, aisa lagta hai wapas day care mein chale gaye hain 😭 😭 😭 Edited by raunaq - 16 years ago