Debate Mansion

Overprotective. Trust or Care?

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

SmarterDesiKid

IF-Sizzlerz

SmarterDesiKid

Posted: 16 July 2007 at 8:23am | IP Logged
A bunch of you may have over protective parents...

Are they being like this cuz they
care for you a bit too much,
or
trust you a bit too less?

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Overprotective. Trust or Care?" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

JhoomBJhoom

Groupbie

JhoomBJhoom

Posted: 16 July 2007 at 8:33am | IP Logged
I am sure that kids must be thinking that parents do not trust if they care too much. We both care our kids way too much but whenever needed we give them breathing space like leave them on their own to stay home for few hours watch movies etc. I think caring and trust do not go together.

season915

Goldie

season915

Posted: 16 July 2007 at 9:13am | IP Logged

Personally, I have not dealt with this over-protectiveness but I do know people who have.

We had a 21-day trip to Nepal and all the areas around it in 6th grade. My best friend and me were all enthusiastic about it and wanted to go real bad. Her parents said NO without looking at any details and that was it. My parents hesitated a bit, as I was only 11 but I eventually did go and had the time of my life. Not all parents are like that and I see nothing wrong in it. They may have had bad experiences themselves and so might have a problem with their kids being away for so long...

But then, there are parents who don't even let their kids go out for a day , just because there are "boys" around. I don't get the point. Till how long can parents guard their children like that? It just hurts them in the long run. Kids get rebellious, start losing respect for their parents and what not!

I don't think this is because they trust them little but mostly because they care too much. But parents fail to understand soemtimes that this extra care here and there is not leading anywhere good...

Edited by rutumodi915 - 16 July 2007 at 9:15am

Indian_girl_18

Indian_girl_18

Posted: 16 July 2007 at 9:49am | IP Logged
They care for you too much.

I came to now about this during my High school years.

Parents trust their kids, but the only reason they are overprotective is cause they are scared that during teenage years, their kids might take a wrong step.

SmarterDesiKid

IF-Sizzlerz

SmarterDesiKid

Posted: 17 July 2007 at 8:06pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Indian_girl_18

They care for you too much.

I came to now about this during my High school years.

Parents trust their kids, but the only reason they are overprotective is cause they are scared that during teenage years, their kids might take a wrong step.

Just realized, this topic might not be worded right...

cuz if parents are scared of their kids taking a wrong step, it can be said that they don't trust them enough for them to do so...
if parent's let kids make their on decisions, it'll show that they trust them

simtara

IF-Rockerz

simtara

Posted: 18 July 2007 at 1:25pm | IP Logged
Ghar ghar ki kahani hai Dosa Seth - each household has a different composition of personalities. Keep in mind parents bring in the baggage of their past into their future. What they went through as kids is reflected in the way they rear their kids in some way.

New circumstances also change the dynamics in a family.

My father is of the mindset that trust can only be earned. I am of the mindset that a degree of trust is inherent in certain relationships.
I'm sure there are other perspectives that lend to the spectrum of "trust."

For the most part, I believe that overprotective nature is a result of an equation of trust and care in which care is of a larger proportion. They may trust you with all their heart, but a desire to care and provide for you and protect you from any hardship or pain leads them to be overprotective. On the other hand, a weakness in trust may give them reason to doubt you and therefore be overprotective of you. Though in that case I think it's more of a situation where they don't think you capable of doing something and so they don't want you to do it.

Suny where are you coming up with these questions from!? Very thought-provoking and insightful ... good for you for asking such tough questions. I hope we don't end up confusing you more than anything.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top