Debate Mansion

Who do (most) Tamils hate Hindi? (Page 6)

Post Reply New Post

Page 6 of 52

chatbuster

IF-Rockerz

chatbuster

Deactivated on request

Posted: 15 July 2007 at 10:05am | IP Logged
Originally posted by raksha.l

Originally posted by chatbuster

do away with english? kyoon bhai, indian outsourcing aur economy ka bhatta baithana hai? Confused even the chinese have now figured out they want to learn english to tap into foreign IT work, and here we are wanting to go the opposite direction. what can i say? and then we blame our politicians for messing things up Ouch I agree.. We should not be so fragile in terms of our ego that we blindfold ourselves to the fact that English is actually a tool which can help us draw more business to our Country...I know there are some European countries(developed/rich Wink) who don't speak English, but I hear that even they are trying to learn the language now..Accept it or not...English is a global language... i think the languages should be english and hindi, with perhaps sanskrit thrown in for those who want to learn from the past (much like learning latin). Exactly my point... as for the other languages, they dont unite, they simply divide. they should be treated as the relics they are and gotten rid of pronto Wink Now what is this??? Confused ..All the south Indian languages are much more older than Hindi and why should they be done away with???What about the people who cannot speak Hindi and English???Whoever said- to learn new things, you have to get rid of the old stuff... Disapprove
*Edited for the syntax- I am tired of doing this all the time.. Unhappy *

yes, those languages are older than hindi. but less widely applicable or useful.

Now who decides that???You ask a south Indian or a Bengali to say the same thing..They cannot virtually operate without their local languages..World doesn't revolve around 'outsourcing' only...We have so many non-tech people as well..What about them???

that's how we get to them being relics- old and relatively uselessTongue

So why not get rid of 'hindi' as well and start learning 'Sanskrit'???That way even the 'Tamilians' will not have any problem..Because 'hindi' is useless to a lot of people..

as for learning stuff, i am all for everyone learning everything. Tonguejust start with the important useful things first and then move on down the value chain.Wink

also, i hear we might be thinking of putting religion in classrooms too.LOL so much to learn now.Wink so what should we pick to learn in our finite lifetimes? subjects that make one productive in the real world and integrate us with other economies or ones which serve to only isolate us?Smile

Agree with first learning the important stuff and then moving down the line..However calling the South Indian or even Bengali and other regional languages as mere relics and 'useless' stuff is way too much to comprehend...Language serves two purposes amongst the other things..One- it helps us communicate and two- it helps us connect with our culture..

I am all for Hindi and English being the National languages..But the regional languages are just as important to those who speak them...Instead of doing away with stuff, why not strive for the betterment in 'hindi' and 'english'??

it's like this. the bengali or south indian is not verbally challenged that he/ she cannot learn english/ hindi and be able to communicate otherwise. some imo probably dont want to. much like the french till a few years ago who simply didnt want to speak english

as for your other point about language connecting with our culture, well which culture are we talking about? if we go back long enough, then we do get to sanskrit, not even tamil or the other languages. so that point is as moot as it is for hindi

as for who decides? how about having a majority of indians decide? i bet we'd get hindi then. problem is that the regional blocs wont let them.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

seemasr

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Who do (most) Tamils hate Hindi? (Page 6)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

SolidSnake

IF-Rockerz

SolidSnake

Posted: 15 July 2007 at 10:11am | IP Logged

I agree..

We should not be so fragile in terms of our ego that we blindfold ourselves to the fact that English is actually a tool which can help us draw more business to our Country...I know there are some European countries(developed/rich Wink) who don't speak English, but I hear that even they are trying to learn the language now..Accept it or not...English is a global language...

English has made sure that only those who know it reep the benefits out of it. And they'll continue to do so, gareeb hamesha gareeb hi rahenge. One solution would be to declare English as the lingua franca of India and force everyone to learn it, which is an impossible task. Second solution would be to gradually let Hindi take its place, everything else remains the same. Doesn't it make sense to go with second option? The non-Hindi population in anycase will have to learn another language, why should n't it be Hindi? A fairly large population in non-Hindi already know Hindi...so that is another advantage.

Aanandaa

IF-Sizzlerz

Aanandaa

Posted: 15 July 2007 at 10:12am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Gauri_3

Originally posted by souro

Originally posted by raunaq

@ gauri - good points @ souroji - language is an ever learning process, i remember how our own gurus would tell us that language itself is vast, you learn it all the time. but i thought the appellation for different relationships in any language in india is almost the same like "mama or maaa or amma"( i have heard amma in tamil language). yes there is a big difference in someone who speaks broken language and language with fluency yet having some flaws. i am sure you are referring to the ones who speak broken language right?

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" color=#990099 size=4>I'm not saying the hindi names for 'father' and 'mother' is very different from other regional languages, I merely pointed out they don't use those names and instead prefer 'mummy daddy'.

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" color=#990099 size=4>No I'm not speaking about Hindi speaking people making fun of others who speak boken language, they even make fun because of their accent, because they sometimes make some mistakes in genders (it's not the outsiders fault that in hindi they have a gender for every friggin thing).

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" color=#990099 size=4>For example, a few days ago this guy (from Ludhiana) said that "why do you always speak hindi this way??" and I told him that if he has a problem with my hindi he should either shut up or talk with me in english.Tongue

well, I agree with you here on your response to that ludhiyanvi guy. accents are bound to be there when non-hindi speaking people speak hindi. no one shd be poking fun. in fact, they shd be applauded.

btw, my older daughter has a real cute accent when she speaks hindi. we do pull her leg a lot but no...we do not run her down. sometimes, that gender mix up is just soooo cute. Tisha does that all the time and i find it cute. I appreciate when ever someone makes an effort to blend in. I know there are lot more out there who think like me but then there are some who don't. For those suckers, yeah...it's okay to givethem something back that they will get it and won't poke fun again. just don't let such folks deter you from learning hindi or force you to retaliate against all hindi speaking people. not all are like that....just like not all non-hindi people hate hindi.

lol @ gender for everything. on a side note, the jab, kab, tab, abb throw my daughters off...totally..... at timesLOL

@Souro- Good job... Thumbs Up ..Some of my best friends are 'Hindi/urdu' speaking and they are very accomodative...They do get carried away with 'hindi/urdu' but they also don't run the rest of the group down..I use hind for chit chat with them, but whenever I have to make a point- I always get back to English..Even if they ask me in 'hindi' I answer back in English and slowly they also get back to English..

@Gouri: Just like not all the Hindi speaking people are 'suckers', not all the 'non-Hindi' speaking people are suckers too..You just generalized in your other post that the 'hyderabadis' get into their regional language without acknowledging your presence..See, it works both ways..I am glad you said it urself..Smile

@Raunaq- I like the way you are putting forth your points here..Easily one of the best debators on this thread... Clap

souro

souro

Posted: 15 July 2007 at 10:12am | IP Logged

Originally posted by Believe

Actuly we are not hindi speaking people ,but we try to learn/speak hindi, what about hindi speaking people who try to learn our language's???...

Wow... my fav argument whenever people say that the hindi of bengalis sucks, as if they can speak flawless bengali or some other language.LOL They say Hindi is so glorious, glorious because of what, just because so many million people speak it.Wink That's so laughable, they'll fail to name two hindi authors who're really renowned.Tongue Atleast in east and south people call their parents in their regional language, see in west or north, they can't even come outside of 'mummy daddy' 'uncle aunty', and they want others to master their language flawlessly, such hypocrites.Wink LOL

that is soooo not true Souro.  You are generalizing way too much here.  Some people all over India do away with the regional names given to maternal/paternal relations but most still use chacha, chachi, bua, maasi etc.  It is a personal choice when it comes to how you want to address your near and dear ones.

Even if they call their parents and other relatives anglicized names, they do not go out and claim that they do not understand hindiSmile

No body is glorifying hindi or running down other languages but the fact remains that when ever two same regional language people get together, they start chit chatting in their language w/o considering the fact that other person there has no clue what they are talking about.  One of the main reasons why i quit going to predominantly hyderabadi get togethers even though i am great friends of the host.  Ladies do it lot more than gents....so gotta give credit to guys here.

I don't think I'm generalising too much. Hindi speaking people do call their parents as 'mummy & daddy' most of the times. And if you go out tell me do you hear people referring to you as 'bua/masi' or is it 'aunty'.

others, who are not related to my by blood call me auntie/didi/bhabhi depending on which side of the family they know us from and their ages but in our family, we do not do auntie or uncles.  and even if we did, how does it matter as long as the "chacha" understands that he was the one whom the kid was calling when he said "uncle"

unfortunately, this is not the case when you go in tamilnadu or some other non-hindi states.  they refuse point blank to come down to a common denominator...something both can understand!!!....reverting back to debate hereSmile

I'm not defending the unreasonable behaviour of Tamils here but sometimes Hindi speaking people can also be equally irritating, making fun of your accent and all such nonsense. That way they should also understand that people from different regions have different accents and what really matters is whether they are getting each other or not. When they don't use absolute pure hindi then why do they expect it from others?? Don't you feel this way other's are more discouraged than motivated to learn that language. In West Bengal I've seen so many Bihari and UP people who speak broken Bengali with lots of grammatical errors (mostly in the usage of tu, tum, aap and the corresponding change in verbs), but noone makes fun of that, instead if they're close people may point out the error and rectify it.

We had this guy from Kanyakumari called Raj, and he didn't know a word of Hindi not even gaalis. And guess what the UP and Delhi people used to do, chat with him in english and then make fun of him in hindi, and this involved girls too. Raj was pretty black in colour and one day this guy from Benaras was saying to another guy from Ujjain about Raj, "Koile ke khadan se aaya hai kya??" They were even asking that to Raj and everyone in that group were laughing while very interstingly those two guy themselves were quite dark in colour.Ouch

Aanandaa

IF-Sizzlerz

Aanandaa

Posted: 15 July 2007 at 10:22am | IP Logged
Originally posted by SolidSnake

I agree.. We should not be so fragile in terms of our ego that we blindfold ourselves to the fact that English is actually a tool which can help us draw more business to our Country...I know there are some European countries(developed/rich Wink) who don't speak English, but I hear that even they are trying to learn the language now..Accept it or not...English is a global language...

English has made sure that only those who know it reep the benefits out of it. And they'll continue to do so, gareeb hamesha gareeb hi rahenge. One solution would be to declare English as the lingua franca of India and force everyone to learn it, which is an impossible task. Second solution would be to gradually let Hindi take its place, everything else remains the same. Doesn't it make sense to go with second option? The non-Hindi population in anycase will have to learn another language, why should n't it be Hindi? A fairly large population in non-Hindi already know Hindi...so that is another advantage.

Deepak- first things first...The 'keeda' in your avi is pretty creepy and its distracting me and hurting my eyes and I actually thought its something thats crawling on my laptop and so tried to get rid of it a couple of times..LOLLOLLOL

And coming to your points above- I think I am on fence now...Because even I want 'Hindi' to be the main language and want us to be represented by it in the global forum..However, I also see the hitch when it comes to attracting the 'outsourcing' business...

souro

souro

Posted: 15 July 2007 at 10:25am | IP Logged

it's like this. the bengali or south indian is not verbally challenged that he/ she cannot learn english/ hindi and be able to communicate otherwise. some imo probably dont want to. much like the french till a few years ago who simply didnt want to speak english

So, are the Hindi speaking people verbally challenged to learn other languages??

as for your other point about language connecting with our culture, well which culture are we talking about? if we go back long enough, then we do get to sanskrit, not even tamil or the other languages. so that point is as moot as it is for hindi

as for who decides? how about having a majority of indians decide? i bet we'd get hindi then. problem is that the regional blocs wont let them.

You give them all the options like, Bhojpuri, Mythili, Urdu, Pahadi, Rajasthani, Gujrati, Marwari, Marathi, Punjabi, Dogri, etc. and you won't be left with a majority for Hindi also.Tongue

SolidSnake

IF-Rockerz

SolidSnake

Posted: 15 July 2007 at 10:28am | IP Logged

I think it's totally okay to know whatever your mother tongue is but we shld strive to learn hindi AND english no matter which region we belong to.  Hindi because it still is a unifying language and national language and english because, as CB pointed out, it does give us a global competitive advantage over say chinese or japanese. 

There is a subtle difference to what I am saying though. I am saying use Hindi + local language in India. Use English (or any other Foreign language) while dealing internationally.

A person who studied in an Indian language medium school is at a huge disadvantage compared to a person who is from an English medium public school, which logically shouldn't have been the case had our previous Govts acted sensibly. Why should our govt service exams be conducted in English only (correct me if I am wrong), what benefit does it give to the country? Doesn't that mean only those who are from affluent families stand a chance of making it? An English system makes it virtually impossible for those from poor background to make it big.

raunaq

IF-Sizzlerz

raunaq

Posted: 15 July 2007 at 10:32am | IP Logged
Originally posted by SolidSnake

I think it's totally okay to know whatever your mother tongue is but we shld strive to learn hindi AND english no matter which region we belong to. Hindi because it still is a unifying language and national language and english because, as CB pointed out, it does give us a global competitive advantage over say chinese or japanese.

There is a subtle difference to what I am saying though. I am saying use Hindi + local language in India. Use English (or any other Foreign language) while dealing internationally.

A person who studied in an Indian language medium school is at a huge disadvantage compared to a person who is from an English medium public school, which logically shouldn't have beenthe casehad our previous Govts acted sensibly.Why should our govt service exams be conducted in English only (correct me if I am wrong), what benefit does it give to the country? Doesn't that mean only those who are from affluent families stand a chance of making it? An English system makes it virtually impossible for those from poor background to make it big.

solidji, are hindi medium schools still running in india? i dont think in this era anyone would want to send their kids in hindi medium school becoz of the globalization of english language. but do you think there are still people who are sending kids to hindi medium school?

Edited by raunaq - 15 July 2007 at 10:33am

Post Reply New Post

Go to top