Debate Mansion

Who do (most) Tamils hate Hindi? (Page 5)

Post Reply New Post

Page 5 of 52

souro

souro

Posted: 15 July 2007 at 9:52am | IP Logged

Originally posted by raunaq

@ gauri - good points

@ souroji - language is an ever learning process, i remember how our own gurus would tell us that language itself is vast, you learn it all the time. but i thought the appellation for different relationships in any language in india is almost the same like "mama or maaa or amma"( i have heard amma in tamil language). yes there is a big difference in someone who speaks broken language and language with fluency yet having some flaws. i am sure you are referring to the ones who speak broken language right?

I'm not saying the hindi names for 'father' and 'mother' is very different from other regional languages, I merely pointed out they don't use those names and instead prefer 'mummy daddy'.

No I'm not speaking about Hindi speaking people making fun of others who speak boken language, they even make fun because of their accent, because they sometimes make some mistakes in genders (it's not the outsiders fault that in hindi they have a gender for every friggin thing).

For example, a few days ago this guy (from Ludhiana) said that "why do you always speak hindi this way??" and I told him that if he has a problem with my hindi he should either shut up or talk with me in english.Tongue

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Who do (most) Tamils hate Hindi? (Page 5)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

SolidSnake

IF-Rockerz

SolidSnake

Posted: 15 July 2007 at 9:53am | IP Logged

@ souroji - language is an ever learning process, i remember how our own gurus would tell us that language itself is vast, you learn it all the time. but i thought the appellation for different relationships in any language in india is almost the same like "mama or maaa or amma"( i have heard amma in tamil language and i have heard people in north india too using it Big smile ). yes there is a big difference in someone who speaks broken language and language with fluency yet having some flaws. i am sure you are referring to the ones who speak broken language right?

We use Amma and Pappa at home....Big smile

Aanandaa

IF-Sizzlerz

Aanandaa

Posted: 15 July 2007 at 9:59am | IP Logged
Originally posted by chatbuster

Originally posted by raksha.l

do away with english? kyoon bhai, indian outsourcing aur economy ka bhatta baithana hai? Confused even the chinese have now figured out they want to learn english to tap into foreign IT work, and here we are wanting to go the opposite direction. what can i say? and then we blame our politicians for messing things up Ouch I agree.. We should not be so fragile in terms of our ego that we blindfold ourselves to the fact that English is actually a tool which can help us draw more business to our Country...I know there are some European countries(developed/rich Wink) who don't speak English, but I hear that even they are trying to learn the language now..Accept it or not...English is a global language... i think the languages should be english and hindi, with perhaps sanskrit thrown in for those who want to learn from the past (much like learning latin). Exactly my point... as for the other languages, they dont unite, they simply divide. they should be treated as the relics they are and gotten rid of pronto Wink Now what is this??? Confused ..All the south Indian languages are much more older than Hindi and why should they be done away with???What about the people who cannot speak Hindi and English???Whoever said- to learn new things, you have to get rid of the old stuff... Disapprove
*Edited for the syntax- I am tired of doing this all the time.. Unhappy *

yes, those languages are older than hindi. but less widely applicable or useful.

Now who decides that???You ask a south Indian or a Bengali to say the same thing..They cannot virtually operate without their local languages..World doesn't revolve around 'outsourcing' only...We have so many non-tech people as well..What about them???

that's how we get to them being relics- old and relatively uselessTongue

So why not get rid of 'hindi' as well and start learning 'Sanskrit'???That way even the 'Tamilians' will not have any problem..Because 'hindi' is useless to a lot of people..

as for learning stuff, i am all for everyone learning everything. Tonguejust start with the important useful things first and then move on down the value chain.Wink

also, i hear we might be thinking of putting religion in classrooms too.LOL so much to learn now.Wink so what should we pick to learn in our finite lifetimes? subjects that make one productive in the real world and integrate us with other economies or ones which serve to only isolate us?Smile

Agree with first learning the important stuff and then moving down the line..However calling the South Indian or even Bengali and other regional languages as mere relics and 'useless' stuff is way too much to comprehend...Language serves two purposes amongst the other things..One- it helps us communicate and two- it helps us connect with our culture..

I am all for Hindi and English being the National languages..But the regional languages are just as important to those who speak them...Instead of doing away with stuff, why not strive for the betterment in 'hindi' and 'english'??

raunaq

IF-Sizzlerz

raunaq

Originally posted by SolidSnake

Bollywood stars ki to poochho hi mat, Hollywood ka naam sunte hi they get wet. Aur kehne ko to saare Hindi movies mein kaam karte hain, usi se crores kamaate hain, bade bade bangle khade karte hain....lekin jab koi interview hota hai to aisa lagta hai ki Hindi to aati hi nahi even when the interviewer is asking in Hindi, pathetic!

Let me give you an example, I am a video game enthusiast. Many of great video game makers are from Japan, and they have rabid fans all around the world. The biggest game show (E3) takes place in LA every year. These Japanese game makers present their games there and when they come on stage they speak in Japanese only (with interpretors) but still their fans go crazy about them, they go to Japanese websites and translate everything about their fav games.

To mere kehne ka matlab hai ki agar hum apni bhasha ka aadar nahin karenge to kya baahar waale karenge...

oh my! this is shocking! only 5% can speak english, this is shocking shocking shocking Shocked i am glad you opened this post and here i thought english is spoken as second language in india. well thats amazing what japanese do, most of their works are in their language. when i used to watch bollywood awards and as such, i would ask the very same questions why they spoke in english and i raised the same question when some other episodes and interviews were held in english becoz it came as a shock to me to find them giving interviews in english, i always used to think that hindi predominated mostly in india and gradually i came to terms with accepting the interviews in english, however javed saab lately giving the interview in hindi/urdu was worth applauding Clap Clap Clap but in todays world, its hard to ignore english, if you look around people are shifting their medium of communication from their language to english barring the places that you mentioned. its hard to get rid of english at this point.

chatbuster

IF-Rockerz

chatbuster

Deactivated on request

Originally posted by SolidSnake

do away with english? kyoon bhai, indian outsourcing aur economy ka bhatta baithana hai? Confused even the chinese have now figured out they want to learn english to tap into foreign IT work, and here we are wanting to go the opposite direction. what can i say? and then we blame our politicians for messing things up Ouch

Actually I am not talking about getting rid of English the language per se. What I am really bothered about it that we don't have any respect/pride for our national language, we treat it like shit. I mean when I am talking to my fellow countrymen why should I be using a foreign language, when I am in my own country why should I be forced to use a foreign language. Unless it involves dealing with foreigners I should n't be needing it.

Why should our PM speak in English which is hardly understood by 5% of Indians, why are our official press briefings conducted in English? Does it make any sense? Do you ever see something like this in China/Japan/Korea/Germany/France/Brazil/Russia etc? Why do we think that the world will not listen to us if we don't speak in English, or is it that the Gora saheb'll feel highly of us brownies if we speak in their language.

Bollywood stars ki to poochho hi mat, Hollywood ka naam sunte hi they get wet. Aur kehne ko to saare Hindi movies mein kaam karte hain, usi se crores kamaate hain, bade bade bangle khade karte hain....lekin jab koi interview hota hai to aisa lagta hai ki Hindi to aati hi nahi even when the interviewer is asking in Hindi, pathetic!

Let me give you an example, I am a video game enthusiast. Many of great video game makers are from Japan, and they have rabid fans all around the world. The biggest game show (E3) takes place in LA every year. These Japanese game makers present their games there and when they come on stage they speak in Japanese only (with interpretors) but still their fans go crazy about them, they go to Japanese websites and translate everything about their fav games.

To mere kehne ka matlab hai ki agar hum apni bhasha ka aadar nahin karenge to kya baahar waale karenge...

seems like we have three groups:

1. some indians want english and hindi.

2. some want english and regional languages.

3. yet others perhaps want hindi and regional languages.

i am just arguing that english/ hindi is the right way to go. i am fine with what you are saying otherwise. but it seems to me that a lot of indians do not even respect hindi as a language of choice over their own regional language. they do not respect hindi enough to want to learn it or use it. how about getting them to learn to love it rather than their own regional language? as for english, like it or not, we do need it, much the same way as we need foreign direct investment, exports etc.

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Aanandaa

IF-Sizzlerz

Aanandaa

Posted: 15 July 2007 at 10:03am | IP Logged
Deepak- nice points there..I have always wondered why these bollywood sahebs use English all the time..Its so funny that they answer in 'English' even when they were asked questions in 'Hindi'...I agree with you about giving respect to our own language first.. Thumbs Up

raunaq

IF-Sizzlerz

raunaq

Posted: 15 July 2007 at 10:05am | IP Logged
Originally posted by souro

@ gauri - good points @ souroji - language is an ever learning process, i remember how our own gurus would tell us that language itself is vast, you learn it all the time. but i thought the appellation for different relationships in any language in india is almost the same like "mama or maaa or amma"( i have heard amma in tamil language). yes there is a big difference in someone who speaks broken language and language with fluency yet having some flaws. i am sure you are referring to the ones who speak broken language right?

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" color=#990099 size=4>I'm not saying the hindi names for 'father' and 'mother' is very different from other regional languages, I merely pointed out they don't use those names and instead prefer 'mummy daddy'.

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" color=#990099 size=4>No I'm not speaking about Hindi speaking people making fun of others who speak boken language, they even make fun because of their accent, because they sometimes make some mistakes in genders (it's nottheoutsidersfault that in hindi they have a gender for every friggin thing).

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" color=#990099 size=4>For example, a few days ago this guy (from Ludhiana)said that "why do you always speak hindi this way??"and I told him that if he has a problem with my hindi he should either shut up or talkwith me in english.Tongue

ok i get you now. these people dont know that there is no gender in bengali. one of my bengali colleagues used to speak hindi confusing the gender and then one time he explained to me how there is no gender in bengali and thats why they get confused all the time, then i understood that they dont have the same grammar rule as in hindi. now when you were told "why you speak hindi this way?", thats kind of rude Ouch sadly there are people who like to make fun of things rather than understanding the situation in depth Ouch

Edited by raunaq - 15 July 2007 at 10:16am

Post Reply New Post

Go to top