Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 16 years ago
Originally posted by: souro

Wow... my fav argument whenever people say that the hindi of bengalis sucks, as if they can speak flawless bengali or some other language.πŸ˜† They say Hindi is so glorious, glorious because of what, just because so many million people speak it.πŸ˜‰ That's so laughable, they'll fail to name two hindi authors who're really renowned.πŸ˜› Atleast in east and south people call their parents in their regional language, see in west or north, they can't even come outside of 'mummy daddy' 'uncle aunty', and they want others to master their language flawlessly, such hypocrites.πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜†

that is soooo not true Souro.  You are generalizing way too much here.  Some people all over India do away with the regional names given to maternal/paternal relations but most still use chacha, chachi, bua, maasi or whatever their regional version is.  It is a personal choice when it comes to how you want to address your near and dear ones.

Even if they call their parents and other relatives anglicized names, they do not go out and claim that they do not understand hindi😊

No body is glorifying hindi or running down other languages but the fact remains that when ever two same regional language people get together, they start chit chatting in their language w/o considering the fact that other person there has no clue what they are talking about.  One of the main reasons why i quit going to predominantly hyderabadi get togethers even though i am great friends of the host.  Ladies do it lot more than gents....so gotta give credit to guys here.

I love listening to other languages and learning them too....so that I can atleast converse with the toddlers who do not understand hindi yet.  but if a regional language end up dividing a group of Indians gathered at one place, that's when i do not like it....and as far as...."indi...thoda thoda"...is concerned...ek gaali doh hindi mein toh zabardast samajh aata hai kuchh log ko....."yeh bus kahan jayegi" poochho toh batti gul....why?????? 

Edited by Gauri_3 - 16 years ago
Aanandaa thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: SolidSnake

No, I am not saying get rid of it. But don't give it more than what it deserves, don't make it mai-baap. And stop giving it official protection, it should not enjoy any official status in the country.

Giving it official status is actually attracting more people to learn it and hence we are able to attract the phoren business..Isn't it???Now I won't say that is the best way to improve our Economy..But until we get hold of another method, why not make use of this 'out sourcing' wave???And at this crucial point, why make these changes???
raunaq thumbnail
Originally posted by: Gauri_3

πŸ˜•πŸ˜•raunaq sweetie, you ended up confusing me here nowπŸ˜†πŸ˜†

no no it was not a definite statement that i made, i was just trying to figure out myself why undo it after doing it, tum mere saath confuse mat hona, agar tum log confuse hogaye to samjhane wala kaun hoga πŸ˜•
raunaq thumbnail

that is soooo not true Souro. You are generalizing way too much here. Some people all over India do away with the regional names given to maternal/paternal relations but most still use chacha, chachi, bua, maasi etc. It is a personal choice when it comes to how you want to address your near and dear ones.

Even if they call their parents and other relatives anglicized names, they do not go out and claim that they do not understand hindi😊

No body is glorifying hindi or running down other languages but the fact remains that when ever two same regional language people get together, they start chit chatting in their language w/o considering the fact that other person there has no clue what they are talking about. One of the main reasons why i quit going to predominantly hyderabadi get togethers even though i am great friends of the host. Ladies do it lot more than gents....so gotta give credit to guys here.

@ gauri - good points

@ souroji - language is an ever learning process, i remember how our own gurus would tell us that language itself is vast, you learn it all the time. but i thought the appellation for different relationships in any language in india is almost the same like "mama or maaa or amma"( i have heard amma in tamil language and i have heard people in north india too using it πŸ˜ƒ ). yes there is a big difference in someone who speaks broken language and language with fluency yet having some flaws. i am sure you are referring to the ones who speak broken language right? Edited by raunaq - 16 years ago
souro thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

that is soooo not true Souro.  You are generalizing way too much here.  Some people all over India do away with the regional names given to maternal/paternal relations but most still use chacha, chachi, bua, maasi etc.  It is a personal choice when it comes to how you want to address your near and dear ones.

No body is glorifying hindi or running down other languages but the fact remains that when ever two same regional language people get together, they start chit chatting in their language w/o considering the fact that other person there has no clue what they are talking about.  One of the main reasons why i quit going to predominantly hyderabadi get togethers even though i am great friends of the host.  Ladies do it lot more than gents....so gotta give credit to guys here.

I don't think I'm generalising too much. Hindi speaking people do call their parents as 'mummy & daddy' most of the times. And if you go out tell me do you hear people referring to you as 'bua/masi' or is it 'aunty'.

Aanandaa thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

that is soooo not true Souro. You are generalizing way too much here. Some people all over India do away with the regional names given to maternal/paternal relations but most still use chacha, chachi, bua, maasi or whatever is their regional versionis. It is a personal choice when it comes to how you want to address your near and dear ones.

No body is glorifying hindi or running down other languages but the fact remains that when ever two same regional language people get together, they start chit chatting in their language w/o considering the fact that other person there has no clue what they are talking about.

On the contrary I actually observed that the 'Hindi' speaking people do it all the time..They just get carried away and get into that fast flow and some of the non-hindi speaking people feel left behind in the conversations...In fact I have noticed that the other language people 'strive' hard to speak Hindi and be one with the 'hindi speaking' folks..Even in here, we have people from all over- but we all know what language we all use other than English...😊
One of the main reasons why i quit going to predominantly hyderabadi get togethers even though i am great friends of the host. Ladies do it lot more than gents....so gotta give credit to guys here.

I love listening to other languages and learning them too....so that I can atleast converse with the toddlers who do not understand hindi yet. but if a regional language end up dividing a group of Indians gathered at one place, that's when i do not like it....and as far as...."indi...thoda thoda"...is concerned...ek gaali doh hindi mein toh zabardast samajh aata hai kuchh log ko....."yeh bus kahan jayegi" poochho toh batti gul....why??????

raunaq thumbnail
nvmd πŸ˜ƒ Edited by raunaq - 16 years ago
chatbuster thumbnail

Originally posted by: raksha.l

yes, those languages are older than hindi. but less widely applicable or useful. that's how we get to them being relics- old and relatively uselessπŸ˜›

as for learning stuff, i am all for everyone learning everything. πŸ˜›just start with the important useful things first and then move on down the value chain.πŸ˜‰

also, i hear we might be thinking of putting religion in classrooms too.πŸ˜† so much to learn now.πŸ˜‰ so what should we pick to learn in our finite lifetimes? subjects that make one productive in the real world and integrate us with other economies or ones which serve to only isolate us?😊

Edited by chatbuster - 16 years ago

raunaq thumbnail
Originally posted by: chatbuster

just start with the important useful things first and then move on down the value chain.πŸ˜‰

bohot khoob πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘ Edited by raunaq - 16 years ago
Originally posted by: souro

I don't think I'm generalising too much. Hindi speaking people do call their parents as 'mummy & daddy' most of the times. And if you go out tell me do you hear people referring to you as 'bua/masi' or is it 'aunty'.

others, who are not related to my by blood call me auntie/didi/bhabhi depending on which side of the family they know us from and their ages but in our family, we do not do auntie or uncles.  and even if we did, how does it matter as long as the "chacha" understands that he was the one whom the kid was calling when he said "uncle"

unfortunately, this is not the case when you go in tamilnadu or some other non-hindi states.  they refuse point blank to come down to a common denominator...something both can understand!!!....reverting back to debate here😊

Edited by Gauri_3 - 16 years ago