Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

persistence

Goldie

persistence

Posted: 14 July 2007 at 7:00pm | IP Logged

Hi to all,

Everyone who is presently debating here has taken digs on another. In fact the whole exchange started at first dig. So whether it is right debating technique or not all of us do or have done that in the past esp on DM. You can exclude yourself if you wish.

Quoting Maya_M (hope, you don't mind) from another thread, I would like to know:

1. Is taking digs at each other a debating technique?
2. Is it appropriate to interact with each other this way?
3. Why do or should we respond back in the same coin?
4. A self-protection mechanism? gives peace of mind? or immature behavior?
5. Is it possible to take the high-road?

Given the option, would you walk away even if you were hurt by somebody's insensitive behavior or clarify (given, we can't please all), and move on considering you have given your best?

And no digs in this post, please!Smile

Thanks,
Persy

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Taking digs, a debating technique?" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Modesty

Modesty

Posted: 16 July 2007 at 1:58am | IP Logged
First and foremost I wanna thank you Persy for such a nice post.

Originally posted by reeps

Hi to all,

[quote>Everyone who is presently debating here has taken digs on another. In fact the whole exchange started at first dig. So whether it is right debating technique or not all of us do or have done that in the past esp on DM. You can exclude yourself if you wish.[/quote>

Quoting Maya_M (hope, you don't mind) from another thread, I would like to know:

1. Is taking digs at each other a debating technique? I don't know.
2. Is it appropriate to interact with each other this way? No. Though we often do it when we get carried away.
3. Why do or should we respond back in the same coin?
Sometimes we do pay back others in the same coin when they do not respect our POVs and want to thrust their views on us without any rationale. We should avoid doing it.
4. A self-protection mechanism? gives peace of mind? or immature behavior? But the above reaction also means playing into the hands of your fellow debators. We should not allow anyone to control our emotions only then we can have a peace of mind.
5. Is it possible to take the high-road?
Though difficult however tis possible.

Given the option, would you walk away even if you were hurt by somebody's insensitive behavior or clarify (given, we can't please all), and move on considering you have given your best?

Now a days I do not argue however I do try to propound my viewpoints more forcefully to support my case.
I don't remember whose signature quote this is. I read it here in this section only.
"Discussion is an exchange of knowledge; an argument an exchange of ignorance." I guess it aptly applies here.

And no digs in this post, please!Smile

Thanks,Persy

...M...

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 16 July 2007 at 2:03am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 16 July 2007 at 2:17am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Maya_M

Originally posted by Modesty

I don't remember whose signature quote this is. I read it here in this section only.
"Discussion is an exchange of knowledge; an argument an exchange of ignorance." I guess it aptly applies here. 

That is Ashu's (Tally Ho) signature. Smile

Discussion is an exchange of knowledge; <Not Always...........an argument an exchange of ignorance.............Smile

But a Enemy will accept all your faults.........A Good friend will Argue......Big smile

Edited by Believe - 16 July 2007 at 2:25am

Evilgenius_S.S

IF-Dazzler

Evilgenius_S.S

Posted: 16 July 2007 at 4:41am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Believe

Discussion is an exchange of knowledge; <Not Always...........an argument an exchange of ignorance.............Smile

But a Enemy will accept all your faults.........A Good friend will Argue......Big smile

well...i do not agree to this last sentence...!!! i mean..Friends..n that too Good Friends....They do not ARGUE...they do agree and accept ur faults..!!....isnt that what friendship is all about??Embarrassedinfact Enemies got nothing to do with you xcept finding faults with You..and...declining ur every point.........................i dont know i should elaborate it more or not..but...this is ...i know..!Embarrassed

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 16 July 2007 at 5:30am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Evilgenius_S.S

well...i do not agree to this last sentence...!!! i mean..Friends..n that too Good Friends....They do not ARGUE...they do agree and accept ur faults..!!. I think we/i call them not friends ..FAN's,a good friend could write a biography on your life story,a good friend opens the fridge and makes herself at home.Embarrassed ...isnt that what friendship is all about??Embarrassedinfact Enemies got nothing to do with you xcept finding faults with You..thats why i tell enemies accept and enjoy ur faults...and...declining ur every point......me2...Big smile................i dont know i should elaborate it more or not..but...this is ...i know..!Embarrassed

no probs elaborate itSmile

Edited by Believe - 16 July 2007 at 6:13am

Modesty

Modesty

Posted: 16 July 2007 at 6:57am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Maya_M

Originally posted by Modesty

I don't remember whose signature quote this is. I read it here in this section only. "Discussion is an exchange of knowledge; an argument an exchange of ignorance." I guess it aptly applies here.

That is Ashu's (Tally Ho) signature. Smile

Gosh, Thanks for telling me. I think one's signature is a reflection of oneself. Ashu must be a very amiable and nice person.

Modesty

Modesty

Posted: 16 July 2007 at 7:00am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Evilgenius_S.S

well...i do not agree to this last sentence...!!! i mean..Friends..n that too Good Friends....They do not ARGUE...they do agree and accept ur faults..!!....isnt that what friendship is all about??Embarrassedinfact Enemies got nothing to do with you xcept finding faults with You..and...declining ur every point.........................i dont know i should elaborate it more or not..but...this is ...i know..!Embarrassed

I completely agree with you.
More so with your Signature.

Edited by Modesty - 16 July 2007 at 7:01am

Post Reply New Post

Go to top