Debate Mansion

Play safe the Internet - Upd FaceBook issue Pg 7 (Page 9)

Post Reply New Post

Page 9 of 9

Page 1 Page 8
Page   of 9

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 21 February 2009 at 2:55pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by raj5000

Originally posted by return_to_hades

Originally posted by raj5000

2. When sites are hosting your info, cann't they use the content the way they like? Are you paying to keep them private?

I honestly do not know the legal aspect of it. Once you put info online, it is free game. Even secure sites are vulnerable to hackers. Also in the age of the patriot act when big brother can watch you, little brother is just small fish. But I think we as society do respect right to privacy and try to preserve it. Privacy should be readily available not paid for.
Do you really think these social sites are there for charity? Even I don't the legalities, but have heard and learnt that things that are shared can be used not only by BAD characters, but also by employers... past year I heard several cases where people were impacted at work by thier myspace/Fb contents.

Nah. I did not mean social networking sites are there for charity at all. Sometimes I doubt if even charities are there for charities. As Morgoth pointed out what people know about you is up to you. For example as a teenager if you told your friend a secret, you expected them to keep it. But people are vulnerable, they make mistakes and will tell it for the heck of it, or under coersion or persuasion. If it is something you dont want revealed, you keep it to yourself. Same thing with websites, you trust them but they will give out information. If it is something highly personal, keep it that way. Do not share it, if you dont know who will find out. At the same time organizations like citizens liberty groups make it a big deal, they think if your friend slipped and told the teacher you skipped class, your friend should be punished for breaking trust. So the website that let your boss know, you are sleeping with your secretary should be punished for revealing your truth.

It is time we as humans took more responsibility and accountability for what we share, especially online.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Play safe the Internet - Upd FaceBook issue Pg 7 (Page 9)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Mindbender

IF-Sizzlerz

Mindbender

Posted: 03 March 2009 at 9:04pm | IP Logged
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1158628/Facebook-hit-fifth-security-scare-week.html

Facebook hit by fifth security scare in a week

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 5:02 PM on 02nd March 2009

The social networking website Facebook has been hit by five separate security problems in a week, according to an internet safety advisor.

Cybercriminals are exploiting the trust implicit in the popular sharing site to spread nuisance spam and steal saleable data from users, Rik Ferguson from security firm Trend Micro said.

Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg

Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg said having an open system was better than checking all the applications

Malicious applications are an effective way of spreading viruses. Currently, anyone can set up an application on Facebook that can be downloaded by members, without being checked.

Instead of giving access to a new game or useful software, the rogue applications fool users into downloading malware.

One application sent out notifications telling users that one of their friends had 'faced some errors' when checking their profile. A link to the supposed error message spread the fake posting instead.

Another application posted a notification on a user's profile that claimed one of their friends has reported them to Facebook for violating Terms of Service.

A link led to an application saying 'facebook - - closing down!!!' Once installed it sent a spam message to all the affected user's friends.

More than 1,000 angry users have joined a Facebook group for victims of the latest scam.

'Facebook should now apologise and should check all applications created for Facebook users before activating it on their website,' one furious member wrote in capital letters.

Security experts at Trend Micro have warned the applications can harvest personal information as they spread.

'Surely these two events in just a single week mean that it's about time that Facebook reviews its application hosting policy?' Mr Ferguson asked.

However, last week Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg rejected a call to vet all the applications showing up on the site.

'Our philosophy is that having an open system anyone can participate in is generally better,' he told Radio 1's Newsbeat.

A Facebook spokesman said members should remain vigilant and if they fell victim to one should visit the Facebook security pages for help.

A new variant of the Koobface virus is also affecting users alongside the rogue applications. It uses a spoof version of YouTube, to trick members into downloading malware onto their computers.

Once installed the program hunts for cookies on the victim's computer and uses relevant details to log into other social websites.

'This is not just restricted to Facebook, it's a growing trend,' Mr Ferguson warned.

apux

IF-Rockerz

apux

Posted: 03 March 2009 at 10:40pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Morgoth

^^^ Completely agree with the article posted above.

Don't wash your dirty laundry in public, and then cry about people laughing at your underwear.

Yeah seriously!  If you really wanna keep something private, message or text/call...don't put it on a facebook where all your "friends" can see.  When I post anything on facebook, I do it with the purpose of knowing that that information can be relayed to someone who is not my friend.  I know that risk and hence wouldn't post anything I would regret or wouldn't want by boss/family to see.  I actually did a paper on facebook.  I think these online social networks create many stalkersLOL  

sonur15

IF-Rockerz

sonur15

Posted: 03 March 2009 at 11:03pm | IP Logged
1. Sharing private info / pictures etc NO MATTER on which social site, on internet makes you vunlerable  to privacy issues?
 yes yes yes..........we should not share our private info/picture

2. When sites are hosting your info, cann't they use the content the way they like? Are you paying to keep them private?

Ouch...............how much info we can share Rji

3. What is the need in the first place to share private contents on the WWW .. when you know how www works?
There is no need to share it

sonur15

IF-Rockerz

sonur15

Posted: 03 March 2009 at 11:06pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Morgoth

^^^ Completely agree with the article posted above.

Don't wash your dirty laundry in public, and then cry about people laughing at your underwear.

ROFL....u r absolutely right

Sujal_Fan_No1

Goldie

Sujal_Fan_No1

Posted: 04 March 2009 at 12:06am | IP Logged
Originally posted by myth13

Dear Friends!

Social Networking is a common thing these days.Having virtual friends is not really a big issue these days!!

The issue of browsing social networking sites and having virtual friends is an issue of concern for family members!!! Especially those family members who read the news and see the news about the frauds done through net and  who donot browse the genuine social networking sites!!

Unfortunatley those family members see the news of the more types of frauds and more type of crimes done in the form of social networking!!!

In the mean process people who get into genuine sites and have genuine virtual friends face problems in convincing the family members!!

But at the same time the cyber crimes these days are increasing and the cyber crimes are very sophisticated and innocent people get stuck in that crimes un knowingly in those acts!!

MMS and messages are encrypted and the outer message might be some joke or funny stuff ,so if we don't know those things and if we read them or forward them and we may be unwitting party in that crime !!!

Mean while its tough to convince the family members about the genuine virtual friends!!

So my questions are:

Is the internet safe place these days?

If, it depends on the level of security measures you take,can you share your best practices with us?

Do you like your family members seeing your social networking messages and friends ?

Do you like having family members and friends on the same platform(not the operating system) but same site ,say India Forums or Orkut or any other social networking site?

Wishes,

Mythili

PS - Using this post (well written) to raise related issue of facebook, which is in news. See pg 7. Updated the title. Myth PM me if there is concern... thanks!

Yeah i used to try and be cautious on facebook too and also about the pictures i uploaded, but then i heard that the pics u put up on facebook get coppy writed by them, so they belong to the companyAngry. So i just stopped putting pics up.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top