Debate Mansion

Play safe the Internet - Upd FaceBook issue Pg 7 (Page 8)

Post Reply New Post

Page 8 of 9

Page 1 Page 7
Page   of 9
Page 9 Page 9

Meena1

IF-Stunnerz

Posted: 18 February 2009 at 8:55pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Play safe the Internet - Upd FaceBook issue Pg 7 (Page 8)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Mindbender

IF-Sizzlerz

Mindbender

Posted: 18 February 2009 at 9:32pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by raj5000

--- Question >

1. Sharing private info / pictures etc NO MATTER on which social site, on internet makes you vunlerable  to privacy issues?
Yup

2. When sites are hosting your info, cann't they use the content the way they like? Are you paying to keep them private?
I agree with RTH ji,
we don't need to pay for privacy,
otherwise there would be one more tax we'd have to give to keep the government people away from looking into our houses whenever they want, however they want

3. What is the need in the first place to share private contents on the WWW .. when you know how www works?
What exactly should we call private contents ?
Contents which can help in tracing you ?
I guess just knowing one's name and IP address can get you quite close to that no ?
However i think,
that yes, we shouldn't be discussing everything about our private contents.
But then , do you think that we shouldn't discuss anything at all ?
Should we discuss nothing , everything or something in between ?
I guess being as close to nothing while being in between is the best we can achieve

I have given the above answer not related to social networking sites but in general , related to WWW

Edited by ashoka_was_king - 18 February 2009 at 9:39pm

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 18 February 2009 at 10:31pm | IP Logged
Actuly there 100s of loopholes in web pages...if someone want to hack n retrive anything ,you can find 100s of web sites/softwares there to help you to do these things...So better dont put much private things in Internet...so plz do safe play...

raj5000

raj5000

Posted: 19 February 2009 at 7:56am | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

Originally posted by raj5000

1. Sharing private info / pictures etc NO MATTER on which social site, on internet makes you vunlerable  to privacy issues?

There is no such thing as safe sites.
Ansh - Right!! then why such outcry on FB policy change? I would care less as it is upto you to share or not share stuff keeping always in mind that there is no safe site.

2. When sites are hosting your info, cann't they use the content the way they like? Are you paying to keep them private?

I honestly do not know the legal aspect of it. Once you put info online, it is free game. Even secure sites are vulnerable to hackers. Also in the age of the patriot act when big brother can watch you, little brother is just small fish. But I think we as society do respect right to privacy and try to preserve it. Privacy should be readily available not paid for.
Do you really think these social sites are there for charity? Even I don't the legalities, but have heard and learnt that things that are shared can be used not only by BAD characters, but also by employers... past year I heard several cases where people were impacted at work by thier myspace/Fb contents.
3. What is the need in the first place to share private contents on the WWW .. when you know how www works?

Since it is the most convenient means of sharing. *sigh* I miss the good old days when Facebook was a college and professional networking site. I frequented FB more than MySpace (EMOSPACE) or Orkut, because FB back then did not let you create an account unless you had a valid college or business email. Too bad even good things grow out of their goodness. First they opened FB to everyone, then they allowed those crazy applications. FB is not the place it used to be. But its nice since i get to connect to many frieds and family.
Thats true it is most convinient.. but the caution should be adhered..assuming that your shared info/pictures can also be on a flyer hanging at the grocery store.

Ah I have committed many blunders online too. Been there done that, learned and moved on. That is why I have my beast at home with me.
You are not alone WinkLOL this is our oppurtunity to atleast share and help others to avoid the pitLOL

raj5000

raj5000

Posted: 19 February 2009 at 8:01am | IP Logged
Thanks for resposnes!!

@Meena -  Now you know why I was not too keen on FB lolss..I still call it dating site ahahaha. Good for yaa, whatever it takes to get A+.

@AWKing - Private info, any info that can be used against you in an undesired/unaccetable manner.

@Vinu - Yup, play it safe.

shonaveer

IF-Sizzlerz

shonaveer

Posted: 21 February 2009 at 12:51am | IP Logged

Is the internet safe place these days?

It depends upon the way we use it... It has good as well as bad sides. we should use it in a good manner...

If, it depends on the level of security measures you take,can you share your best practices with us?
Blind trust on internet friends is not good. You will have to be careful while making the friends.

Do you like your family members seeing your social networking messages and friends ?

Well yes... My family members are also a part of my social networking. They do are aware of all my activities. I am open towards them.

Do you like having family members and friends on the same platform(not the operating system) but same site ,say India Forums or Orkut or any other social networking site?

I have them on facebook and orkut as my friends..
I dont have any of my family members on india-forums...

Luv
Deepu :)

Mindbender

IF-Sizzlerz

Mindbender

Posted: 21 February 2009 at 7:08am | IP Logged

We're sorry, says Facebook

http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryPage/StoryPage.aspx?sectionName=HomePage&id=fa1079be-e67d-4e7d-8df8-53b582839de9&MatchID1=4932&TeamID1=7&TeamID2=8&MatchType1=1&SeriesID1=1247&PrimaryID=4932&Headline=We%E2%80%99re+sorry%2c+says+Facebook

Btw -

Something related to the issue at hand -

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/localnews/columnists/jfloyd/stories/022109dnmetfloyd.38a8397.html

On Facebook, biggest threat to your private data may be you

08:59 PM CST on Friday, February 20, 2009

Don't friend me! I mean it.

While we're talking about this, I don't want to be Twittered, blasted, poked or super-poked, either. Kindly refrain from telling me What You're Doing Right Now, and I'll return the favor.

Don't confide that you have two spleens or that you threw up at your junior prom, and I won't burden you with my secret passion for the late Paul Henreid.

It's not that I don't like you. It's just that, if I want you to know that stuff, maybe it would be nicer to tell you in person over a glass of wine than to send out a buckshot bulletin to 200 people online.

Look, there's not a thing wrong with Facebook. But all this hysteria and hand-wringing over privacy could readily be sidestepped by not posting private information on the Internet.

The big alarm went off this week when alert bloggers noted a change in the micro-print "terms of service" agreement that goes with signing up for the ubiquitous social-network site. "Facebook owns you!" angry critics howled.

Opinions seem divided over whether the change in language actually constitutes a threat. Some saw a resurgence of the company's ill-fated "Beacon" experiment, when it devised the idea of essentially alerting everybody you know every time you buy something.

Others say it was nothing more than standard, self-protecting legal language. No matter: The bad-publicity deluge put Facebook's CEO (How old is that guy, anyway? Seventeen?) on the defensive, and the change was for the moment abandoned.

But people are surely fooling themselves if they depend on a company any company to guarantee privacy for information voluntarily posted in a place that, by definition, is extremely public.

Face this: You are your own front line of defense in maintaining your privacy. This extends to vetting personal information on the Internet. In the same way, it means exercising discretion over allowing people to take hilarious party pictures of you that might wind up being published as the Bong Hit Heard 'Round the World.

Sites like Facebook work from an oddly inverted social premise of starting with the whole of cyberspace and winnowing your way down, through a series of blocks and filters. Don't want that creepy guy from the mailroom to be your "friend"? You have to reject him. Don't want embarrassing pictures of you posted to your "wall"? Make sure you trust your friends.

Some people seem to plant the flag with a minimum of information: no picture, no bio, no recitation of favorite bands or (God help us) astrological sign. They bypass the rather juvenile, one-size-fits-all personality template the site provides.

But others "share" in an odd stream-of-consciousness broadcast about what they wore today, how they feel, what time they need to be at the dentist, and leave it to their friends to sift through the information for what's relevant. Their friends do the same to them there's no boundary between what goes on inside and outside their skulls.

And that's what's really, deeply, seriously frightening.

What if, in our addiction to the temporary rush of joy that we all experience in talking about ourselves, we lose the ability to distinguish between our public and our private selves?

If we don't have enough sense not to "friend" somebody we haven't seen in 20 years and we didn't really know that well in the first place, what business do we have getting all huffy over Facebook's terms of service?

How can we expect somebody we don't know to safeguard our privacy if we think so little of it ourselves?

Sure, Facebook has an obligation to its users. But long before that, users have obligations to themselves.

Morgoth

IF-Veteran Member

Morgoth

--

Posted: 21 February 2009 at 9:01am | IP Logged
^^^ Completely agree with the article posted above.

Don't wash your dirty laundry in public, and then cry about people laughing at your underwear.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top