Debate Mansion

Play safe the Internet - Upd FaceBook issue Pg 7 (Page 2)

Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 9

Page 1
Page   of 9
Page 3 Page 9

season915

Goldie

season915

Posted: 11 July 2007 at 1:08pm | IP Logged

Is the internet safe place these days?

As everyone said, is any place safe today? So, my answer is no.

If, it depends on the level of security measures you take,can you share your best practices with us?

Giving out personal info is a big no-no. It is often possible to meet genuine people through virtual means, but caution should always be exercised.

Do you like your family members seeing your social networking messages and friends ?

No. Not that it is a problem, but I come on the internet to relax myself away from RL deals and I def would not want to involve family OR RL friends in this as well.

Do you like having family members and friends on the same platform(not the operating system) but same site ,say India Forums or Orkut or any other social networking site?

I use Orkut to connect with friends and family, and not to make VL friends. I have been able to get back in touch with a lot of elementary school friends and old neighbours and long-distance relatives through Orkut and I have kept that medium strictly to communicate with known people. Very often, there are weirdos asking to be friends and all that shiznit, but it is totally in your hands to block or ignore them.

------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------

I joined a Gujju Yahoo group about two years back. It was a group with like 100 people and people forwarded messages and discussed various topics... And, it was a fabulous way to remain in touch with my roots. There were some virtual toddlers, aged like 12 and 13 who were there. Not that it mattered, but they gave out any info that was asked of them. Thankfully, none of us was a stalker or anything, but it is def wrong for kids to be allowed to access all parts of internet. But overall, that Y! group gave me so many friends for that period that I had no time for RL friends for a while. This started during summer and later, people started getting busy and the group became bigger and bigger and we chose to communicate through messengers with close ones. Kuch log bichad gaye but I am still in touch with a few and I am very pleased to say that I have became really good friends with a few and they will last for my whole life-time.

So yes, you can never be safe while on net, but genuine people are around us as well. So, don't just start talking to people. Take time and observe them well before befriending anyone. And if someone wants to find anything, they can go to any extent to do so! So, all we can do is talk with caution...

Edited by rutumodi915 - 11 July 2007 at 1:12pm

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Play safe the Internet - Upd FaceBook issue Pg 7 (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

mermaid_QT

IF-Sizzlerz

mermaid_QT

Posted: 11 July 2007 at 3:24pm | IP Logged
Internet is not a safe place. Both men as well as women can be stalkers. I had a sick experience of a stalker who traced me in ohio and my husband (in CA) and the police were reqd to be notified.

I have met several liars online too. Those who lie about their social, economic and other status. However, I have also met over 50 wonderful people online that actually met with me / my husband in RL as well. They are not my closest pals, but I do like them. Some shattered my notion of what they would be based on their handle, while some turned out to be nicer than I thought.
I think for many of us who have publications and such online, giving away real name itself can be risky. A lot of professional information is accessible online including PUBLIC records of grants, fellowships and such. Some professions do not provide online information in public domain and that's pretty cewl I think.

the lesson i learnt from OHIO stalker is never to feel too safe and make family and friends aware of internet sites / open chat rooms / forums you visit.
Since I am who I pretend to be online, I am not worried about meeting anyone as mermaid_qt (just nuke the fishtail part LOL). My family (dad) also has an IF account that I made for him when he was visiting.. and am fine with it. My husband knows all my passwords, not that he cares to log in.. but I am VERY comfortable with him reading stuff online.
Whether NEAR / FAR, I find him and couple other friends, my SAFETY net. Lbntl, I did meet my husband online and have nothing against such aliances. As long as both the chatters are TRUE to each other and find out to be same ppl when they meet in person, I see no trouble. However, those who come here for momentary flings and probably neither look / nor earn / nor are in anyway QUARTER as good as they claim to be.. WATCH OUT!!
Net is a scary place.. Dead Dead

Edited by mermaid_QT - 11 July 2007 at 3:26pm

RonnieK

IF-Rockerz

RonnieK

Posted: 11 July 2007 at 6:43pm | IP Logged
"the internet is the most dangerouse place in the world" - ronnie kumar

sareg

IF-Dazzler

sareg

Posted: 11 July 2007 at 6:59pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by mythili_Kiran

So my questions are:

safe is a relative term, when you hookup your PC to a network, you are compromising your security

If, it depends on the level of security measures you take,can you share your best practices with us?

never share personal info, never share personal email, never share your full name, it is very easy to track a person on the net

best practises: connect to the net using a proxy, try to keep your IP anonymous, set up a firewall on your PC

always start off thinking the person you are conversing with has less than 20% of truth factor to themWink

converse on the  views of a person, not with the person

if you intend to branch out to someone always assume

Do you like your family members seeing your social networking messages and friends ?

why not

Do you like having family members and friends on the same platform(not the operating system) but same site ,say India Forums or Orkut or any other social networking site?

if you are trying to branch out in lifeWink then no, if not no harm

Wishes,

cheers

qwertyesque

IF-Rockerz

qwertyesque

Posted: 11 July 2007 at 9:20pm | IP Logged

Dear Friends!

Social Networking is a common thing these days.Having virtual friends is not really a big issue these days!!

The issue of browsing social networking sites and having virtual friends is an issue of concern for family members!!! Especially those family members who read the news and see the news about the frauds done through net and  who donot browse the genuine social networking sites!!

Unfortunatley those family members see the news of the more types of frauds and more type of crimes done in the form of social networking!!!

In the mean process people who get into genuine sites and have genuine virtual friends face problems in convincing the family members!!

But at the same time the cyber crimes these days are increasing and the cyber crimes are very sophisticated and innocent people get stuck in that crimes un knowingly in those acts!!

MMS and messages are encrypted and the outer message might be some joke or funny stuff ,so if we don't know those things and if we read them or forward them and we may be unwitting party in that crime !!!

Mean while its tough to convince the family members about the genuine virtual friends!!

So my questions are

Is the internet safe place these days? Good for 21+.. unsafe for impressionable minds just like liberty has always been...Smile

If, it depends on the level of security measures you take,can you share your best practices with us? Frankly never thought about it...LOL

Do you like your family members seeing your social networking messages and friends ? No...

Do you like having family members and friends on the same platform(not the operating system) but same site ,say India Forums or Orkut or any other social networking site? Yes dont really care much about it...

Wishes,

Mythili

greatmaratha

IF-Sizzlerz

greatmaratha

Posted: 11 July 2007 at 9:37pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by sareg

never share personal info, never share personal email, never share your full name, it is very easy to track a person on the net

best practises: connect to the net using a proxy, try to keep your IP anonymous, set up a firewall on your PC

always start off thinking the person you are conversing with has less than 20% of truth factor to themWink

converse on the  views of a person, not with the person

if you intend to branch out to someone always assume

Great tips and well written.

Cant say how does an average illiterate netizen do point no. 2, but other precautions are easy to take and must be implemented.

kabhi_21

IF-Rockerz

kabhi_21

Posted: 11 July 2007 at 9:38pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by greatmaratha

Originally posted by kabhi_21

So my questions are:

Is the real world a safer place???....... no every place has its own level of safety...... but with the IT laws on cyber crimes, atleast you can take action against the cyber frauds..... so yes its very close to real world..... as it cant be as good as real world it cant be as dangerous as real world tooWink

I may disagree.  Cyberlaw cant heal broken trust, broken hearts... just as laws cant heal them in real life.  Yes, if you talk of misusing credit cards or any other fiscal crime, it may be possible...  but those (perverts, in my opinion) who come purely to exploit the innocent, the gullible, the naive are same, be it real or virtual and to a great extent, they manage to get away easy in virtual and less easy in real.  But agree wholeheartedly with your opening line.

I think we said the same thing that real or virtual world both are quite similar when it comes to unsafe.... just that u are saying virtual world is more unsafe as its easy to get away for the fraudsters.... while I say that real life is more unsafe....Smile

Security measure depends on the level of confidence you have on oneanother..... definitely you cant share very important information about u..... but u can definitely share ur hobbies etc.... to make friendships..... just as we do in real life i guess,.... even in RL we dont reveal all personal info to all we do it only after we reach that level of confort..... so i think same rules and security measures apply to both using different technologiesBig smile

And then what?  You share this information with virtual friends, and you reach a stage of friendships... but man is never stagnant in the same position for long.... the urge to move on comes on.... and with it, the pitfalls of the net come too.  They who want to strike wait for this moment, when the defenses are down and the sensations are lulled into a false sense of security.

This happens in real life too.... u trust someone a lot u reach a stage where u blindly believe the person and get backstabbed..... and believe me its more painful in real worldSmile

greatmaratha

IF-Sizzlerz

greatmaratha

Posted: 11 July 2007 at 9:45pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by greatmaratha

So my questions are:

Is the real world a safer place???....... no every place has its own level of safety...... but with the IT laws on cyber crimes, atleast you can take action against the cyber frauds..... so yes its very close to real world..... as it cant be as good as real world it cant be as dangerous as real world tooWink

I may disagree.  Cyberlaw cant heal broken trust, broken hearts... just as laws cant heal them in real life.  Yes, if you talk of misusing credit cards or any other fiscal crime, it may be possible...  but those (perverts, in my opinion) who come purely to exploit the innocent, the gullible, the naive are same, be it real or virtual and to a great extent, they manage to get away easy in virtual and less easy in real.  But agree wholeheartedly with your opening line.

I think we said the same thing that real or virtual world both are quite similar when it comes to unsafe.... just that u are saying virtual world is more unsafe as its easy to get away for the fraudsters.... while I say that real life is more unsafe....Smile

Yeah, we may be saying similar...  But dont you think in real life, you have the advantage of knowing almost all the facts required for a level playing field, as opposed to virtual, where you are almost playing blind.

Security measure depends on the level of confidence you have on oneanother..... definitely you cant share very important information about u..... but u can definitely share ur hobbies etc.... to make friendships..... just as we do in real life i guess,.... even in RL we dont reveal all personal info to all we do it only after we reach that level of confort..... so i think same rules and security measures apply to both using different technologiesBig smile

And then what?  You share this information with virtual friends, and you reach a stage of friendships... but man is never stagnant in the same position for long.... the urge to move on comes on.... and with it, the pitfalls of the net come too.  They who want to strike wait for this moment, when the defenses are down and the sensations are lulled into a false sense of security.

This happens in real life too.... u trust someone a lot u reach a stage where u blindly believe the person and get backstabbed..... and believe me its more painful in real worldSmile

Agree.  Backstabbing whether real or virtual is painful.  To me, it does not matter whether it is virtual or real, because more often than not, it is almost virtually real to the person whose back is stabbed.... or rather, it is because it is almost virtually real that the person keeps him/herself open to risks of being stabbed in the back... 

Post Reply New Post

Go to top