Page 1
Page   of 9
Page 2 Page 9

IdeaQueen

IF-Dazzler

IdeaQueen

Posted: 11 July 2007 at 9:27am | IP Logged

Dear Friends!

Social Networking is a common thing these days.Having virtual friends is not really a big issue these days!!

The issue of browsing social networking sites and having virtual friends is an issue of concern for family members!!! Especially those family members who read the news and see the news about the frauds done through net and  who donot browse the genuine social networking sites!!

Unfortunatley those family members see the news of the more types of frauds and more type of crimes done in the form of social networking!!!

In the mean process people who get into genuine sites and have genuine virtual friends face problems in convincing the family members!!

But at the same time the cyber crimes these days are increasing and the cyber crimes are very sophisticated and innocent people get stuck in that crimes un knowingly in those acts!!

MMS and messages are encrypted and the outer message might be some joke or funny stuff ,so if we don't know those things and if we read them or forward them and we may be unwitting party in that crime !!!

Mean while its tough to convince the family members about the genuine virtual friends!!

So my questions are:

Is the internet safe place these days?

If, it depends on the level of security measures you take,can you share your best practices with us?

Do you like your family members seeing your social networking messages and friends ?

Do you like having family members and friends on the same platform(not the operating system) but same site ,say India Forums or Orkut or any other social networking site?

Wishes,

Mythili

PS - Using this post (well written) to raise related issue of facebook, which is in news. See pg 7. Updated the title. Myth PM me if there is concern... thanks!

Edited by raj5000 - 18 February 2009 at 1:47pm

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Play safe the Internet - Upd FaceBook issue Pg 7" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

souro

souro

Posted: 11 July 2007 at 9:45am | IP Logged
Originally posted by mythili_Kiran

So my questions are:

Is there any place which can be called as totally safe as of today?? Yeah the internet have become more prone to frauds and misuse by some than earlier, but there are still sites which are relatively safer, both social networking and business sites. Moreover, a large part of our safety over the net lies in our hand, and as long as we follow some simple basic rules the chances of getting duped is very much lowered.

If, it depends on the level of security measures you take,can you share your best practices with us?

I'm not used to taking any special precautions.

Do you like your family members seeing your social networking messages and friends ?

No I wouldn't like that. Not that there is anything to hide, they already know the sites which I frequent, but still I feel uncomfortable when they sometimes sit nearby and sees what I'm writing. It's maybe because I've lived alone for so long that I value my privacy a li'l too much.

Do you like having family members and friends on the same platform(not the operating system) but same site ,say India Forums or Orkut or any other social networking site?

I already have my sister and my BIL on Orkut and it's not an issue.

Wishes,

Mythili

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 11 July 2007 at 9:47am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 11 July 2007 at 9:55am | IP Logged

kabhi_21

IF-Rockerz

kabhi_21

Posted: 11 July 2007 at 10:13am | IP Logged

So my questions are:

Is the real world a safer place???....... no every place has its own level of safety...... but with the IT laws on cyber crimes, atleast you can take action against the cyber frauds..... so yes its very close to real world..... as it cant be as good as real world it cant be as dangerous as real world tooWink

Security measure depends on the level of confidence you have on oneanother..... definitely you cant share very important information about u..... but u can definitely share ur hobbies etc.... to make friendships..... just as we do in real life i guess,.... even in RL we dont reveal all personal info to all we do it only after we reach that level of confort..... so i think same rules and security measures apply to both using different technologiesBig smile

I dont mind them seeing social networking messages and friends.... they can know what is our company and how is it..... but they shd nt poke their nose in every affair..... there shd be some privacy allowed.....

I dont mind them being on same website.... infact i told my family about IF and orkut... its even better if they are informed than discussing with them about site, if they are uninformed.... its different story that my immediate family has nt joined lols.... Being informed about our company its easy for us to take family in confidence Big smile

Wishes,

Mythili

greatmaratha

IF-Sizzlerz

greatmaratha

Posted: 11 July 2007 at 11:01am | IP Logged

Is the internet safe place these days? - It can be and it cant be as well.  I guess it would depend on individual user and how much he/ she takes precautions.  But I learnt something.  How much ever precautions you take, it fails when you do come across someone who has come to the internet with the intention of cheating.  Guys pretend to be gals, gals pretend to be guys, old pretend to be young and uneducated pretend to be scholars.  So the key would be to trust your instincts and never drop your guard till virtual becomes real.  Then the pitfalls of real life can take over.

If, it depends on the level of security measures you take,can you share your best practices with us?  Avoid displaying your photograph or credit card numbers, avoid giving details of yourself which can put you in direct line of fire or sight....  go from virtual to real slowly, and importantly, dont trust easily.  Trust is broken easily and truth is manipulated very easily in virtual world.  One can be smart and accumalate proofs of all activitites, but normal humans dont live life accumalating proofs, so it would be prudent to question all actions and do those for which you would not have to go look for proofs and references later.

Yes and No.  Yes, to an extent, why not... I mean, they know me anyways.  No, to an extent, because, they dont know me fully well, or rather I would like to keep some amount of privacy from family members as well.

Same as above

Wishes,

Mythili

greatmaratha

IF-Sizzlerz

greatmaratha

Posted: 11 July 2007 at 11:07am | IP Logged
Originally posted by kabhi_21

So my questions are:

Is the real world a safer place???....... no every place has its own level of safety...... but with the IT laws on cyber crimes, atleast you can take action against the cyber frauds..... so yes its very close to real world..... as it cant be as good as real world it cant be as dangerous as real world tooWink

I may disagree.  Cyberlaw cant heal broken trust, broken hearts... just as laws cant heal them in real life.  Yes, if you talk of misusing credit cards or any other fiscal crime, it may be possible...  but those (perverts, in my opinion) who come purely to exploit the innocent, the gullible, the naive are same, be it real or virtual and to a great extent, they manage to get away easy in virtual and less easy in real.  But agree wholeheartedly with your opening line.

Security measure depends on the level of confidence you have on oneanother..... definitely you cant share very important information about u..... but u can definitely share ur hobbies etc.... to make friendships..... just as we do in real life i guess,.... even in RL we dont reveal all personal info to all we do it only after we reach that level of confort..... so i think same rules and security measures apply to both using different technologiesBig smile

And then what?  You share this information with virtual friends, and you reach a stage of friendships... but man is never stagnant in the same position for long.... the urge to move on comes on.... and with it, the pitfalls of the net come too.  They who want to strike wait for this moment, when the defenses are down and the sensations are lulled into a false sense of security.

I dont mind them seeing social networking messages and friends.... they can know what is our company and how is it..... but they shd nt poke their nose in every affair..... there shd be some privacy allowed.....

I dont mind them being on same website.... infact i told my family about IF and orkut... its even better if they are informed than discussing with them about site, if they are uninformed.... its different story that my immediate family has nt joined lols.... Being informed about our company its easy for us to take family in confidence Big smile

Wishes,

Mythili

...M...

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 11 July 2007 at 11:38am | IP Logged

Post Reply New Post

Go to top