Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

SholaJoBhadkey thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago
I thought this would be an appropriate read here!

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Shobha_De_Wake_up_India/a rticleshow/2256242.cms

Wake up India
5 Aug 2007, 0312 hrs IST,Shobha De

Just 10 short days before the hoopla begins (60 years of Independence), I'm playing wet blanket and saying: Wake up. Yes, wake-up and smell the coffee\rasam\ maacher jhol... whatever it is that does it for you. It's time for the slumbering giant (India) to stop snoring and get going. Really. Sometimes it feels like India consumed a massive dose of barbiturates six decades ago and is still fast asleep.

The present euphoria works as a good upper, no doubt. And the mood of the nation should remain gung ho and upbeat. But it is equally necessary to step back and subject ourselves to a much-needed reality check. This is as good a time as any. Forget the breathtaking tech achievements out of the current India story for now... and what do you get? A few stray examples of individual excellence and extraordinary success.

But does any of this hang together and make a great whole? We keep talking about our amazing economy and how the developed world is waiting to welcome us with open arms. Really? That is certainly not what one senses during international travels. Frankly, our economic boom has happened despite the system, not because of it... so nobody should claim credit or gloat, now that things are looking up, at least in that department. We may not be in the red any more. But let's keep the bubbly on hold till the rest of the story shows whether or not we are in the pink of health in other areas, too.

India's report card reads 'Pass marks only' when the score should have shown 'Distinction'. So, what stopped us from achieving that goal? Depressing as it sounds, the buck stops with our politicians, who lacked both β€” the vision and commitment, to get us there. The Slumber Kings of India are the ones who govern us. And the reason they refuse to stir out of their stupor is because it suits them to snooze on. Their lazy motto? Let the toiling masses slave away.

Sure, while netas do 'aish' and dream big. For themselves, not the nation.

The recurrent nightmare that keeps countless concerned citizens awake at night while the leaders sleep, revolves around our neighbours and their political patrons. We bill and coo unconvincingly with one another, even while the knives are out. All we succeed in doing is to buy time and postpone the inevitable. While we focus all our energies on 'managing' Pakistan, we ignore the fire-spewing Chinese dragon that is impatiently snapping its tail on our doorstep. Once the Beijing Olympics are over (2008), and the Chinese show off their new, glamourous face to the world, the dragon will get restless again then what? Tibet was swallowed in one small gulp and nobody protested, apart from some mild mewing. Tomorrow, it can be our Seven Sisters in the North East who disappear. Will we continue to sleep through that, too? We've been caught taking cat naps at crucial times in the past, while the dragon struck with impunity. Surely, so many years (and lessons) later, we won't be fooled or taken off guard?

It's time for the deadening effects of those sleeping pills to wear off before it's too late. The next 60 years can β€” and should β€” be a Golden Age for India. For that era to dawn, we the people have to believe in the dream and help make it a reality. And certainly not through meaningless patriotic gestures like the recent 'Vote for the Taj' campaign that benefited just two people β€” the foreign entrepreneur who thought of the scam, and Bipasha Basu whose Cristiano clinch shot her to international fame.

Let us make a genuine pledge to collectively work towards achieving that great and glorious Indian dream. Meanwhile, Diwali manao, Id manao. But watch out for the Chinese New Year. Jai Hind.
Aanandaa thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: SolidSnake

Oh no, why are we blaming poor Pakistan. Punjab and J&K problems are actually a creation Indian Intelligence agencies...we should stop blaming the social welfare organisations like LeT, HM, JeM etc...bechaare logon ki seva kar rahe hain aur hum log unko blame kar rahe hain. Mumbai bomb blasts were actually sponsered by RAW/IB...D-company ekdam nirdosh hai (Dawood to farishta hai). And bechaari ISI humari wajah se bekaar mein badnaam ho gayi hai...Parliament attack bhi humari chaal thi Pakistan ko blame karne ke liye. Kargil ke liye bhi hum zimmedaar hain, bechare Nawaj Shareef ka career khatm ho gayaa uski wajah se. Matlab ki Pakistan jaisa padosi dhoondhne se nahin milega...

πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† Sorry, can't help it.. 😳
Aanandaa thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: SholaJoBhadkey

I thought this would be an appropriate read here!

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Shobha_De_Wake_up_India/a rticleshow/2256242.cms

Wake up India
5 Aug 2007, 0312 hrs IST,Shobha De

Just 10 short days before the hoopla begins (60 years of Independence), I'm playing wet blanket and saying: Wake up. Yes, wake-up and smell the coffee\rasam\ maacher jhol... whatever it is that does it for you. It's time for the slumbering giant (India) to stop snoring and get going. Really. Sometimes it feels like India consumed a massive dose of barbiturates six decades ago and is still fast asleep.

The present euphoria works as a good upper, no doubt. And the mood of the nation should remain gung ho and upbeat. But it is equally necessary to step back and subject ourselves to a much-needed reality check. This is as good a time as any. Forget the breathtaking tech achievements out of the current India story for now... and what do you get? A few stray examples of individual excellence and extraordinary success.

But does any of this hang together and make a great whole? We keep talking about our amazing economy and how the developed world is waiting to welcome us with open arms. Really? That is certainly not what one senses during international travels. Frankly, our economic boom has happened despite the system, not because of it... so nobody should claim credit or gloat, now that things are looking up, at least in that department. We may not be in the red any more. But let's keep the bubbly on hold till the rest of the story shows whether or not we are in the pink of health in other areas, too.

India's report card reads 'Pass marks only' when the score should have shown 'Distinction'. So, what stopped us from achieving that goal? Depressing as it sounds, the buck stops with our politicians, who lacked both β€” the vision and commitment, to get us there. The Slumber Kings of India are the ones who govern us. And the reason they refuse to stir out of their stupor is because it suits them to snooze on. Their lazy motto? Let the toiling masses slave away.

Sure, while netas do 'aish' and dream big. For themselves, not the nation.

The recurrent nightmare that keeps countless concerned citizens awake at night while the leaders sleep, revolves around our neighbours and their political patrons. We bill and coo unconvincingly with one another, even while the knives are out. All we succeed in doing is to buy time and postpone the inevitable. While we focus all our energies on 'managing' Pakistan, we ignore the fire-spewing Chinese dragon that is impatiently snapping its tail on our doorstep. Once the Beijing Olympics are over (2008), and the Chinese show off their new, glamourous face to the world, the dragon will get restless again then what? Tibet was swallowed in one small gulp and nobody protested, apart from some mild mewing. Tomorrow, it can be our Seven Sisters in the North East who disappear. Will we continue to sleep through that, too? We've been caught taking cat naps at crucial times in the past, while the dragon struck with impunity. Surely, so many years (and lessons) later, we won't be fooled or taken off guard?

It's time for the deadening effects of those sleeping pills to wear off before it's too late. The next 60 years can β€” and should β€” be a Golden Age for India. For that era to dawn, we the people have to believe in the dream and help make it a reality. And certainly not through meaningless patriotic gestures like the recent 'Vote for the Taj' campaign that benefited just two people β€” the foreign entrepreneur who thought of the scam, and Bipasha Basu whose Cristiano clinch shot her to international fame.

Let us make a genuine pledge to collectively work towards achieving that great and glorious Indian dream. Meanwhile, Diwali manao, Id manao. But watch out for the Chinese New Year. Jai Hind.

Indeed .....πŸ˜”

I hope India is careful about all its borders and the mistakes of 1962,1965 and 1971 will not be repeated...

Thanks for sharing this wonderful article with us SJB..

Kay Kay thumbnail

Originally posted by: chatbuster

oh, but you got that wrong too. the gutter-language is all yours. 😊

Moderator's Note:
Please do NOT bash other members.

Edited by Tumhari_Khushi - 16 years ago
Iron78Iron thumbnail

Originally posted by: raksha.l

Indeed .....πŸ˜”

I hope India is careful about all its borders and the mistakes of 1962,1965 and 1971 will not be repeated...

Thanks for sharing this wonderful article with us SJB..

true Raksha.

TFS SJB

salt thumbnail

I can't judge that. But, I have read about a dozen books on the subject of India.. Pakistan... I can only say there is a lot of history between the two countries, and it's upto the individuals how to handle this... whether to differentiate between the two countries or treat each other as human beings...

Edited by Andekhi - 16 years ago
aniline thumbnail
Don't hold any discussions/summits

Kill terrorists as much as possible (no need to detain, court case, etc.)

Have a war whenever next offensive is launched from that side.

Maintain no relations (diplomatic, business..)
souro thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: aniline

Don't hold any discussions/summits

Kill terrorists as much as possible (no need to detain, court case, etc.)

Have a war whenever next offensive is launched from that side.

Maintain no relations (diplomatic, business..)

I agree with you, and I'll add that next time there's a war we should take away a part from them and make them give so much compensation that their economy goes bankrupt, even the common people shouldn't be left with anything.

Edited by souro - 16 years ago
persistence thumbnail

Originally posted by: souro

I agree with you, and I'll add that next time there's a war we should take away a part from them and make them give so much compensation that their economy goes bankrupt, even the common people shouldn't be left with anything.

You are surprising me today! Actually not reallyπŸ˜† ... I am almost never in agreement of your views or some things just irk me, but I choose to give you a hug instead.πŸ˜†πŸ˜† .. you are being really mean though.
souro thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: reeps

You are surprising me today! Actually not reallyπŸ˜† ... I am almost never in agreement of your views or some things just irk me, but I choose to give you a hug instead.πŸ˜†πŸ˜† .. you are being really mean though.

I'm in the mood of acting mean today.πŸ˜† Forget about the common people, but I'm serious about taking a part and making them pay huge compensation.

I know, I know, we're always on the opposite sides.πŸ˜† Btw, you're Persy or her younger sis??πŸ˜•