Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

Naughty_n_nice

IF-Veteran Member

Naughty_n_nice

IFs Creative Head

Posted: 09 July 2007 at 6:34am | IP Logged

Firstly my apologies for posting this rather late.... Hug

But now that they're here, here's what you do!!!

Vote for ONE of the below entries in the given thread itself, based on the humour, writing skill and analysis of the book!
Also go by the book chosen!!!

Here are yout entries, get voting!:

Entry 1::

Pride and prejudice remains our best loved book for reasons, more than one.

It is a multi-layered, multi-textured book gilded by o that delightful satire, the elegance, the eloquence, the characters that were surely inspired by life and of course the enchanting Darcy-Elizabeth romance!

'Pride and Prejudice' then, is our chosen one for this contest and here are the two fun trivia facts about its author, the fantastic Jane Austen:

1.       Just like in the pictures, Jane Austen enjoyed a brief flirtatious relationship with the well off Tom Lefroy. But unfortunately, it could not progress further as she was way below his station.

2.       Jane Austen's famous novel 'Sense and sensibility' was originally a book of letters and was titled after the protagonist sisters of the story 'Elinor and Marianne'.

Two comic scenes from Pride and Prejudice:

1.       O undoubtedly the scene, where the pompous ass, Mr. Collins, a clergyman by profession and a boot-licker of Mrs Catherine de bough, by choice, wooing Elizabeth Bennet, takes the cake! What makes the whole thing outrageously hilarious apart from his methods in addressing the lady he is supposedly going to wed are the totally ridiculous eulogies he keeps dedicating to his benefactress, the excellent Mrs Catherine de bough, at the drop of the hat and his admant persistence in believing that it is common for young ladies like Elizabeth to refuse the suit of the man they secretly admire and mean to accept!

2.       The second scene that never fails to excite a laugh from us is the scene wherein Mrs Bennet is obviously in bad humor because the father of her girls refused to wait on their young and eligible new neighbor, Mr Bingley because of which her 'selfish' neighbors with 'second-hand' intelligence' will be able to bewitch him in to marrying their girls before she can! And when Mr Bennet, in his charecteristic way announces that he has actually paid the visit, the climate of her temper changes like magic and she starts claiming that she always knew that he would do just that!

We could go on and on about Ms Austen and the novel and Mr.Darcy, you know. But well, we would like to conclude by saying that we sure need a doggie like Mr.Collins and a lover like Mr Darcy!!!

Entry 2::
Book: The Princess Diaries

2 facts:
Meg has written almost forty books for both young adults and older readers.

Meg still has many of the diaries she kept in high school and uses them as inspiration for her writing.

Here r the funny experts :

I didn't know what else to say. So I tried, "Grandpre was the prince of Genovia before you?"

He said, "Yes "

"So Grandmre is what?"

"The dowager princess."

I winced. Ew. That explained a whole lot about Grandmre.

---------------

PS Oh, yeah. I forgot. You 're dead. Sorry. Never mind about the tips thing. I guess i will just look some up in the library.

Entry 3::

Two facts of trivia about the author

-         In her novel "The village by the sea", Anita Desai focuses on personal struggles and problems of contemporary life that her Indian characters must cope with. She portrays the cultural and social changes that India has undergone during the post-colonial era.

-         Anita Desai shows her sense of humour and irony in the novel... She often gives a humorous description of life of the layman.

Two funny excerpts from the book

-         "We are farmers and fishermen from Alibagh," said Mahe quietly before he moved on. "We have come to speak to the Chief Minister."

"You do that," the policeman told him. "You do that - he is waiting for you, with tea and garland and a sweet for each of you."

-         Hari asks an ice vendor the address of the de Silvas but the latter mocks at him because he cannot believe that a young village boy, shabbily dressed, has the address of very rich people living on Malabar Hill. The ice vendor replies to Hari:

"Very good address you have there, boy. You must be a prince in disguise"

"Go straight on up the road. It will take you to the top of the Malabar Hill and there you will find your palace, just short of the Hanging Gardens of Babylone. Perhaps there is a princess waiting for you with a garland."

That's it guys! Get voting!!!

India-Forums Development Team!

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Book Talk contest voting!" in Book Talk forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Eloquent

IF-Veteran Member

Eloquent

Posted: 09 July 2007 at 8:09am | IP Logged
Very good contest I must say!!! Clap Clap Clap

I missed it since I came late to this forum LOL LOL

As for the entires, all are fabulous, but my cake goes to Entry # 1...it soars past the others by many miles due to its eloquent use of english, its descriptions of the book and because I like the book! Clap Clap

shradhu

Groupbie

shradhu

Posted: 09 July 2007 at 8:40pm | IP Logged
I also vote for Entry #1 Big smile
Its written very cleverly and addresses issues that are still wrong. And plus, it does have a happy ending with a good moral. Smile

cool_pooja

IF-Sizzlerz

cool_pooja

Posted: 10 July 2007 at 5:22am | IP Logged
Only 3 entries sam? i thought dere were more pairs... Confused

Well i vote for entry 3. Its to the point, like wanted. Embarrassed

amalia

IF-Rockerz

Posted: 10 July 2007 at 6:24am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Ambrosia

IF-Veteran Member

Ambrosia

*CID banner Contest Winner*

Posted: 10 July 2007 at 7:12am | IP Logged
I vote for entry 1. Clap Clap

scarletteblue

IF-Sizzlerz

scarletteblue

Posted: 10 July 2007 at 8:47am | IP Logged
Entry 1 Smile

Pensive