Debate Mansion

Immoral to preach what one lacks? (Page 3)

Post Reply New Post

Page 3 of 9

Page 1 Page 2
Page   of 9
Page 4 Page 9

Dabulls23

IF-Stunnerz

Dabulls23

Posted: 25 June 2007 at 11:40pm | IP Logged
Do what I say & don't do what I do Tongue

Edited by Dabulls23 - 25 June 2007 at 11:41pm

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Immoral to preach what one lacks? (Page 3)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Modesty

Modesty

Posted: 25 June 2007 at 11:42pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by raj5000

This thought came up after visiting my physician, who is major time overwieght and giving me lecture on being 2 pounds over.

Examples :
1. Investment suggestions by a person who himself if failure in investing.
They say Failure is a better teacher than success. Maybe this person is in more appropriate position to help others not to take wrong decisions and not to venture into less profitable territories.
2. Suggestions by less educated persons to people, to study more.No other person would know the value of education more than the one who is uneducated or less educated.
3. Relationship experts preaching on how to ensure a good relationship, while thier own personal life is in a mess. Why not? If the person is conscientious, if he/she knows where the things went wrong for them in a relationship or where they themselves were wrong then they certainly can be good guides to others.
Debate : Professionals preaching / lecturing pupils even if they lack to follow thier own principles, IMMORAL?
Yes I do agree to some extent if a person is addicted to vices and telling others not to drink/smoke then they do lose the high moral ground. Now here they first need to follow the principle "Practise before you preach".

Thanks. TC.

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 26 June 2007 at 12:06am | IP Logged
"Practise before you preach" Clap   Clap Smile

Same like Gandhi..........A preaching Profnl should show others, what things they doing their won life...Book dhek kar meaning bolnaa koi local police wala be kar sakta hey..... Wink

Actuly I hate some Preachers... Confused

mermaid_QT

IF-Sizzlerz

mermaid_QT

Posted: 26 June 2007 at 12:25am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Dabulls23

LOL

mermaid_QT

IF-Sizzlerz

mermaid_QT

Posted: 26 June 2007 at 12:30am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Modesty

Originally posted by raj5000

This thought came up after visiting my physician, who is major time overwieght and giving me lecture on being 2 pounds over.

Examples :
1. Investment suggestions by a person who himself if failure in investing.
They say Failure is a better teacher than success. Maybe this person is in more appropriate position to help others not to take wrong decisions and not to venture into less profitable territories.
2. Suggestions by less educated persons to people, to study more.No other person would know the value of education more than the one who is uneducated or less educated.
3. Relationship experts preaching on how to ensure a good relationship, while thier own personal life is in a mess. Why not? If the person is conscientious, if he/she knows where the things went wrong for them in a relationship or where they themselves were wrong then they certainly can be good guides to others.
Debate : Professionals preaching / lecturing pupils even if they lack to follow thier own principles, IMMORAL?
Yes I do agree to some extent if a person is addicted to vices and telling others not to drink/smoke then they do lose the high moral ground. Now here they first need to follow the principle "Practise before you preach".

Thanks. TC.

True manju @ the underlined!  I forgot to make that point myself.
The doctor may have hypothyroid problem, the psychologist may have had a cheating husband.. That's my only concern.

when someone tells you not to get angry and yell at someone, yet they act completely out of wack when they are angry .. now that's unacceptable - especially when they distribute unasked for advise.

But a doctor bing overweight himself doesn't make him immoral to be recommendign diet and exercise regime. his knowledge of metabolism is what makes him credible.

sohn

sohn

Posted: 26 June 2007 at 3:18am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Dabulls23

ROFL ROFL You rock Da!!!! And gaaon waalon!! Anshu bhaiyya has a 'topic' churning machine!! Dancing

I think we are not happy when someone preaches, cus its not something that we would wanna do, or enjoy doing .. doesnt go down well with our 'thinkin' and 'lifestyle' ahem! e.g. Dont eat chocolates a lot, exercise, dont go partying all nite, brush your teeth every nite before bed...blah blah.....the person listening to is already agitated to capacity Tongue So yh....WHY should anyone preach, they should not! Tongue (They practice it or not is immaterial at that point of time!)

AND...Im sorry Im goin off topic..but can anyone pl tell me if DM has a reference guide for all the abbreviations used while discussing for us newbiesz? Confused  I kinda figured out the IMOs and the IMHOs after some struggle but today I saw the sexiest one.....lbntl!?! Ermm ahem.... iwtcwist(I was totally confused when I saw that!)

n I know...now is the time to run off cus someonez goin to whack me to glory! Tongue

Edited by sohn - 26 June 2007 at 3:25am

season915

Goldie

season915

Posted: 26 June 2007 at 7:13am | IP Logged

^^^I hear ya Sonia! I was so totally baffled by all the abbreviations here and there in the beginning and I was like Shocked. Lol.. yeah we def need a reference guide! Approve

About the topic, it is not always immoral. For example, my uncle is a doctor and is fairly obesed but he constantly tells his son to mend his habits. The son argues back that if you couldn't maintain a healthy lifestyle, why should I? But being a doctor and a parent, he explains to him the troubles of  the extra fats and tells him to not to do the same mistakes as he did. This is not immoral, is it?

Same with my parents. My mom oftens tells me to do things that she never did and still doesn't. Of course, as Raj said, parents should set examples instead of preaching but that is not always possible, is it? Everyone has different circumstances to adhere to but obviously, parents would want the best for their children. What they couldn't get, they want their kids to achieve. So, that's not immoral either.

But then as they, people who stay in glass houses shouldn't throw stones at other. If you have had two wrecked marriages, you can not possibly open a relationship advice center. Like you know, Anurag Basu is in no position to preach people about relationships. LOL 

But then, as people above me said that failure is the best teacher. It is also possible that they learnt a lot from their previous mistakes and are in a better position to preach. So, I don't think you can just generalize these situations and pass a verdict about whether it is right or wrong. A lot of things come into play!

Edited by rutumodi915 - 26 June 2007 at 7:15am

mermaid_QT

IF-Sizzlerz

mermaid_QT

Posted: 26 June 2007 at 9:25am | IP Logged
Originally posted by sohn

AND...Im sorry Im goin off topic..but can anyone pl tell me if DM has a reference guide for all the abbreviations used while discussing for us newbiesz? Confused  I kinda figured out the IMOs and the IMHOs after some struggle but today I saw the sexiest one.....lbntl!?! Ermm ahem.... iwtcwist(I was totally confused when I saw that!)  

LOL...  we've all been there! LOLLOL  FWIW, here's a list :)  Thank me in PM if necessary, but lets not spam here since IMHO, it will be wrong.  I am being PC here.  LBNTL, i am just trying to follow forum rules.  j/k.

IMO - in my opinion
IMHO- in my honest opinion
FWIW- for whatever its worth
LBNTL- last but not the least
NVMD- never mind
PC- politically correct
PIC- politically incorrect
J/K - just kidding
MIA- missing in action
ttyl- talk to you later (used in PM)

Post Reply New Post

Go to top