Debate Mansion

Authors ,their characters and You (Page 3)

Post Reply New Post

Page 3 of 10

mittijalebi

IF-Rockerz

mittijalebi

Posted: 24 June 2007 at 2:00pm | IP Logged

Great topic Mythili.  I absolutely LOVE reading books by indian authors.  i dunno, maybe its b/c i can relate to them more.  i especially enjoy picturing the story taking place and just imagining the surroundings.

What type of books do you read generally(fiction/non fiction)?

I generally read fiction.  Never attempted to read non-fiction.

Which is the wonderful book you have read till date?(the book which you really feel"yeah! this is a gem,I should suggest this to my friends)

As one member has already mentioned i absolutely loved Vikram Seth's A Suitable Boy.  Another book that i recently read and qute enjoyed was Song of the Cuckoo Bird by Amulya Malladi.

Are influenced by any author and her/his idealogies?

No not really.

Did it ever happen that u get influenced by a character in a book??

Ummmmmm, not that i can remember.  Actually when i was younger i used to read the babysitter's club series.  in there a bunch of junior high girls have a babysitter's club and i used to pretend that i was part of that club too. LOL

Do you map the any character of the book to you (unknowingly) ? no

Is there any dream character in one of your fav books you like to see in reality or as your partner?

I liked the character of Lata in The Suitable Boy to have as a friend.

Do books add confusuion or help you in learning things?

sometimes a bit of both.

Your top 5 fav books and 5 fav authors?

The Suitable Boy - Vikram Seth

Song of the Cuckoo Bird - Amula Malladi

A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry

Ladies Coupe - Anita Nair

Brahma's Dream - Shree Ghatage

Currently i am in the process of reading God of Small Things.  Was happy to see that  a lot of people had listed it here as one of their favorites. Smile

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Authors ,their characters and You (Page 3)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

mermaid_QT

IF-Sizzlerz

mermaid_QT

Posted: 24 June 2007 at 3:10pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by mittijalebi

Currently i am in the process of reading God of Small Things.  Was happy to see that  a lot of people had listed it here as one of their favorites. Smile

yepp, i like it too.   i would like to read Brahma's dream.

persistence

Goldie

persistence

Posted: 24 June 2007 at 7:00pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by mythili_Kiran

Esteemed Friends!

As part of our study or hobbies we might have studied several books!

We might have studied the books of different variety of persons!

We get influenced by those thoughts when we get impressed by the thoughts expressed in that book!

We may not implement the thoughts of those people in ourlives becoz we are different from the author and we have some more other thoughts!

May I take the privilage of asking esteemed friends of DM the following questions:

1. What type of books do you read generally(fiction/non fiction)?
    Fiction LOL sorry, had a typo before.Embarrassed
  2. Which is the wonderful book you have read till date?(the book which you really feel"yeah! this is a gem,I should suggest this to my friends)
    Many; if I were to give one name -- Crime and Punishment
  3. Are influenced by any author and her/his idealogies?
    NO
  4. Did it ever happen that u get influenced by a character in a book??
    NO
  5. Do you map the any character of the book to you (unknowingly) ?
    I can often relate to characters in books, esp. the poor tormented souls.... ones that usually burn in self-created, personal hell. Ones who are bound to have a tragic end and these characters know it.Cry
  6. Is there any dream character in one of your fav books you like to see in reality or as your partner?
    No, I haven't read any romantic tales. I usually go for romantic tragedies, and the heros/heroines are tragically flawed! Nobody wants a flawed man!EmbarrassedLOL
  7. Do books add confusuion or help you in learning things?
    Hmm, aid in learning mostly!
  8. Your top 5 fav books and 5 fav authors?
    Donno about authors, I barely pay attention. But will list books I have likedEmbarrassed
    * Anna Karenina
    * Life of PI
    * Crime & Punishment
    * Brave New World
    * The PrinceLOL

Wishes,

Mythili

Good Post!

Edited by reeps - 24 June 2007 at 8:47pm

Tasha1985

IF-Rockerz

Tasha1985

Posted: 24 June 2007 at 9:50pm | IP Logged

firstly thank you mythiliji - it truly is an amazing idea to ask these questions since it will help all of us become more aware of the literary world Clap (well at least i can be more enlightened .... don't think my answers will enlighten anyoneLOL)

well i read both fiction and non-fiction .... but i'm more enclined to fiction since i love to escape in a great story

Which is the wonderful book you have read till date?(the book which you really feel"yeah! this is a gem,I should suggest this to my friends)

not sure if i've read a book like that yet ..... i mean other than the classics - but most people are already aware of those ..... but i guess the one book that i will always love and recommend is little women - i read it when i was very young and have loved it ever since and have read it many times .... oh and the namesake .... i'd recommend that to everyone to read .... especially if you are an immigrant or are descendants of immigrants

not any author in particular .... but i try to take away something from all the authors i read .... be it just the fact that a tangled web can be untangled if you use your head from a good mystery/crime novel .... or be it the fact that there are people in this world who have worse problems than you but face them and come out stronger from an autobiography

again .... i try to learn from all the characters .... even the evil onesWinkLOL

Do you map the any character of the book to you (unknowingly) ?

no not really ... but i think different incidents in my life remind me of different experiences i've read about

Is there any dream character in one of your fav books you like to see in reality or as your partner?

no ... but i'm sure my dream man would encompass many qualities i've read about in various books .... a dash of mr. darcy (pride and prejudice), a pinch of harry potter (harry potter, of courseLOL), a bit of luke (from the shopaholic series), a touch of jack reily (carol higgins clark's regan reily mysteriesLOL), etc .... the list is really longLOL

bothLOL

hmmm ... okay this is not in any particular order (and sorry i think i went over 5 for the booksEmbarrassed)

lousia may alcott - little women (fic)

jumpha lahiri - the namesake (fic)

j. k. rowling - harry potter - the series (fic)

john grisham - the innocent man (non-fic), the brethren (fic), etc ....

jane austen - pride and prejudice(fic), sense and sensibility(fic)

Edited by NaVy1985 - 24 June 2007 at 10:02pm

TallyHo

IF-Rockerz

TallyHo

Posted: 25 June 2007 at 1:29am | IP Logged

I prefer fiction but in the recent years have started reading a lot of non fiction as well!

They are so many... but " A fine Balance " By Rohinton Mistry really moved me and I did lend my copy to a few ppl!

Some books are vey inspirational

I go back sometimes to "the Alchemist" by Paul Coelho, " Jonathan Livinston Seagull" by Richard Bach...

Ummm...no

Do you map the any character of the book to you (unknowingly) ?

nah!

Darcy from Pride and Prejudice

They entertain, they stimulate, they inform...they are the best companions in bedWink

1. Your top 5 fav books and 5 fav authors?

hard to pick 5...but will try

Authors:

1) Charlotte Bronte

2) Charles Dickens

3) Jeffry Archer

4) John Grisham Tongue

5) Amitav Ghosh

Books...these are the ones that I can read over and over again

1) Jane Eyre- Charlotte Bronte

2) Little Boy Lost by Marghanita Laski ( makes me cry each time)

3) A Fine Balance-  Rohinton Mistry

4) Mistress of Mellyn - By Victoria HoltTongue

5) How to win friends and Influence people - Dale Carnegie

Thanks Mythili for a nice topic!

Edited by TallyHo - 25 June 2007 at 1:31am

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 25 June 2007 at 1:42am | IP Logged
Originally posted by TallyHo

Authors:

3) Jeffry Archer--not badSmile

4) John Grisham Tongue--------yaa i like him tooBig smile

2) Little Boy Lost by Marghanita Laski ( makes me cry each time)

yaa nice book,she is gr8 author........bt i not cry......dil roooya hogaaSmileWink....World war time when she lost her son...after that boy's feelings all r nice n touching...

jasunap

IF-Sizzlerz

jasunap

Posted: 25 June 2007 at 2:24am | IP Logged
Originally posted by mythili_Kiran

1. What type of books do you read generally(fiction/non fiction)?
fiction, non fiction, humour, travelogue, actually anything i can lay my hands on
  1. Which is the wonderful book you have read till date?(the book which you really feel"yeah! this is a gem,I should suggest this to my friends)
actually there are quite a few...one is MR GOD, THIS IS ANNA,  by fynn,.another is THE PROPHET by khalil gibran, THE LITTLE PRINCE by antoine st dupree
  1. Are influenced by any author and her/his idealogies?
i wouldn't know if i am influenced...but i certainly give a thought and assimilate what i think and see as a good notion to have and nurture.
  1. Did it ever happen that u get influenced by a character in a book??
of course...almost everybody gets influenced when they read.  some thoughts of the author are impressive, and others not.  we sub consciously want to be what thoughts that impressed us are and do make an effort.  whether it is the language, some phrases, or thoughts..authors most times do influence the reader.
  1. Do you map the any character of the book to you (unknowingly) ?
if i have done so unknowing, then i am still not aware of itLOL. knowingly nope.
  1. Is there any dream character in one of your fav books you like to see in reality or as your partner?
nope....none at all!! though rhett butler in gone with the wind, and howard roarke in fountainhead sound like dream men!!
  1. Do books add confusuion or help you in learning things?
never confusion.  always learn things from them..not just how to be...but also how not to be...
  1. Your top 5 fav books and 5 fav authors?
5 fav books is too little.  but still i would go with
1. the little prince by antoine st dupree
2. mister god this is ann by Fynn
3. the prophet by khalil gibran
4. the hitchhikers guide by douglas adams
5. one by richard bach

the five favourite authors would be (again too little) george mikes, richard armour, pg wodehouse, james thurber, pierre daninos

all of the above are humour writers...that does not mean i dont like indian writers in english.  i do many of them and many of their books...but then the above mentioned authors get mentioned here cos i love every single book of theirs!!

Edited by jasunap - 25 June 2007 at 2:25am

IdeaQueen

IF-Dazzler

IdeaQueen

Posted: 25 June 2007 at 8:36am | IP Logged
Originally posted by mittijalebi

Great topic Mythili.  I absolutely LOVE reading books by indian authors.  i dunno, maybe its b/c i can relate to them more.  i especially enjoy picturing the story taking place and just imagining the surroundings.

I generally read fiction.  Never attempted to read non-fiction.Smile

As one member has already mentioned i absolutely loved Vikram Seth's A Suitable BoyAnother book that i recently read and qute enjoyed was Song of the Cuckoo Bird by Amulya Malladi.

No not really.

Ummmmmm, not that i can remember.  Actually when i was younger i used to read the babysitter's club seriesTongue.  in there a bunch of junior high girls have a babysitter's club and i used to pretend that i was part of that club too. LOL

Do you map the any character of the book to you (unknowingly) ? no

I liked the character of Lata in The Suitable Boy to have as a friend.

sometimes a bit of both.

The Suitable Boy - Vikram Seth

Song of the Cuckoo Bird - Amula Malladi

A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry

Ladies Coupe - Anita Nair

Brahma's Dream - Shree Ghatage

Thankyou ji for answering the questions in a detailed manner! I'm very happy to know your choice of authors and books through this postSmile

Post Reply New Post

Go to top