Debate Mansion

Authors ,their characters and You (Page 2)

Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 10

Page 1
Page   of 10
Page 3 Page 10

Morgoth

IF-Veteran Member

Morgoth

--

Posted: 24 June 2007 at 5:20am | IP Logged

Originally posted by Believe

BTW, some one happened to mention that Lata's character is based on was Vikram Seth's mother. I dont know how true that is. In fact, with almost every book of Seth, I get to hear that it is based on his real life!

It would not be a complete surprise if this were true. Authors many times use real incidents to weave stories. They are not biographies, but you can almost always find something in a novel that exists in the author's real life.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Authors ,their characters and You (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

swordfishh

IF-Dazzler

swordfishh

Posted: 24 June 2007 at 5:47am | IP Logged
Hey Mythili... Wht abt u??

IdeaQueen

IF-Dazzler

IdeaQueen

Posted: 24 June 2007 at 6:41am | IP Logged
Originally posted by T.

Originally posted by mythili_Kiran

1. What type of books do you read generally(fiction/non fiction)?

Fiction

1. Which is the wonderful book you have read till date?(the book which you really feel"yeah! this is a gem,I should suggest this to my friends)

Keeps changing. The Kite Runner is the latest book that I recommended to a friend.

1. Are influenced by any author and her/his idealogies?

See, I mostly read fiction, so one cannot say if the characters truly represent the author's idealogies unless the fic is semi-biographic.

Yes! Most of the times the characters are from utopian world ! But in some variety of books they are just the images of the author!PV narasimha Rao garu's THE INSIDER is one of semi biographic so called fiction!

I am rarely influenced by an author's personal idealogies.

1. Did it ever happen that u get influenced by a character in a book??

Yes, I did get influenced by a character (not going to mention which one). But, I'm thankful to the author as this character in a small way inspired me to start writing regularly.

1. Do you map the any character of the book to you (unknowingly) ?

Depends on the character itself and how much I identify with him or her.  

1. Is there any dream character in one of your fav books you like to see in reality or as your partner?

No

1. Do books add confusuion or help you in learning things?

A good book can do both, but those are very rare.

1. Your top 5 fav books and 5 fav authors?

These keep changing, but my current list includes:

Books:

Harry Potter, Tales from Firozsha Baag, The Kite Runner, Bombay Time, The God of Small Things

Authors:

JK Rowling, Rohinton Mistry, Khaled Hosseini, Thrity Umrigar, Arundhati Roy

Tanaz ! Thanks for sharing your viewsSmile

Wishes,

Mythili

IdeaQueen

IF-Dazzler

IdeaQueen

Posted: 24 June 2007 at 6:43am | IP Logged
Originally posted by T.

Originally posted by Believe

BTW, some one happened to mention that Lata's character is based on was Vikram Seth's mother. I dont know how true that is. In fact, with almost every book of Seth, I get to hear that it is based on his real life!

It would not be a complete surprise if this were true. Authors many times use real incidents to weave stories. They are not biographies, but you can almost always find something in a novel that exists in the author's real life.

Yes! Very true!!Smile

mermaid_QT

IF-Sizzlerz

mermaid_QT

Posted: 24 June 2007 at 9:07am | IP Logged

1. What type of books do you read generally(fiction/non fiction)? non-fiction now
  2. Which is the wonderful book you have read till date?(the book which you really feel"yeah! this is a gem,I should suggest this to my friends) The Bridge Across Forever
  3. Are influenced by any author and her/his idealogies? Richard Bach, Swami Vivekanand, my mom
  4. Did it ever happen that u get influenced by a character in a book?? all the time! - I am with JLS for years.   I'd also love to be Jason Bourne- on the edge of life, amazing strength, I'd also like to be ARIEL TongueLOL
  5. Do you map the any character of the book to you (unknowingly) ? at times
  6. Is there any dream character in one of your fav books you like to see in reality or as your partner? Jason Bourne- the mystery and the adventure and his kind of a swiss bank acct Wink (j/k abt swiss bank acct- that i shud have my own)
  7. Do books add confusuion or help you in learning things? i am not trying to learn anything.  i assilmilate and ntry to grow if the knowledge is worth assimilating.
  8. Your top 5 fav books and 5 fav authors? several of those are vernacular writers.. I'd say Richard Bach, Kahlil Gibran, Jhumpa among relatively new ones would be at the top among those.

Edited by mermaid_QT - 24 June 2007 at 9:08am

ixi-shaj

ixi-shaj

Posted: 24 June 2007 at 9:26am | IP Logged
I am a total girlie girl who reads Chick-lit more than anything.
1) Fiction
2) The book thats not chick-lit that i adore is 'Pride and Prejudice' oh and 'the goose girl' and its sequel both by Shannon Hale. Theyr'e sort of fantasy but a tad bit of romance. loved them both.
3) Not really influenced by authors since i read chick-lit a lot (lol)
4) same as above
5) one character in the shopaholic series (becky) i think, there is a becky in all of us...
6) Mr Darcy of 'p&p', Luke from the shopaholic series (lol) Nathaniel from 'the undomestic goddess'
7) they help my vocabulary i guess
8) Sophie Kinsella and all of her books
   Katie Fforde and all of her books
   Jane Austen and 'P&P'
   Meg Cabot and all her books
   Jk Rowling and the potter books, i guess.

Edited by ixi-shaj - 24 June 2007 at 9:27am

IdeaQueen

IF-Dazzler

IdeaQueen

Posted: 24 June 2007 at 10:55am | IP Logged
Originally posted by mermaid_QT

What type of books do you read generally(fiction/non fiction)? non-fiction now Which is the wonderful book you have read till date?(the book which you really feel"yeah! this is a gem,I should suggest this to my friends) The Bridge Across Forever Are influenced by any author and her/his idealogies? Richard Bach, Swami Vivekanand, my mom Did it ever happen that u get influenced by a character in a book?? all the time! - I am with JLS for years.   I'd also love to be Jason Bourne- on the edge of life, amazing strength, I'd also like to be ARIEL TongueLOL Do you map the any character of the book to you (unknowingly) ? at times Is there any dream character in one of your fav books you like to see in reality or as your partner? Jason Bourne- the mystery and the adventure and his kind of a swiss bank acct Wink (j/k abt swiss bank acct- that i shud have my own) Do books add confusuion or help you in learning things? i am not trying to learn anything.  i assilmilate and ntry to grow if the knowledge is worth assimilating.
  1. Your top 5 fav books and 5 fav authors? several of those are vernacular writers.. I'd say Richard Bach, Kahlil Gibran, Jhumpa among relatively new ones would be at the top among those.

Thankyou Subha Di for sharing those nice thoughtsSmile and

wonderful booksClap

Cheers,

Mythili

IdeaQueen

IF-Dazzler

IdeaQueen

Posted: 24 June 2007 at 10:57am | IP Logged

Originally posted by ixi-shaj

I am a total girlie girl who reads Chick-lit more than anything.
1) Fiction
2) The book thats not chick-lit that i adore is 'Pride and Prejudice' oh and 'the goose girl' and its sequel both by Shannon Hale. Theyr'e sort of fantasy but a tad bit of romance. loved them both.
3) Not really influenced by authors since i read chick-lit a lot (lol)
4) same as above
5) one character in the shopaholic series (becky) i think, there is a becky in all of us...
6) Mr Darcy of 'p&p', Luke from the shopaholic series (lol) Nathaniel from 'the undomestic goddess'
7) they help my vocabulary i guess
8) Sophie Kinsella and all of her books
   Katie Fforde and all of her books
   Jane Austen and 'P&P'
   Meg Cabot and all her books
   Jk Rowling and the potter books, i guess.

Hi !

Thankyou for sharing your views!!Smile

Post Reply New Post

Go to top