Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Aanandaa thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

Originally posted by: TallyHo

Great topic Anshu...

I love to watch movies in theatres... but only select ones...
The theatre experience has been so nice for me in different stages of my life

As a kid we were in this small town and my dad used to take us to movies every week...the manager of the hall used to keep 4 seats blocked for us every week...the excitement of walking into the dark theatre with the gate keeper showing you your seats by torchlight...the typical smell of cigarette smoke, and moongphali...the hard sometimes broken chairs..., the life bouy ad "tandurusti ki raksha karta hai..." and the newsreel before the film started ....in the interval we always got a treat of "Bun samosa"...the taste of that sweet and sour chutney smeared on the spicy samosa crushed between 2 thin buns....it still makes my mouth water..

And finally the surge of patriotism at the end when they played the national anthem
Anyone who has ever stayed in a small town can relate to this I think

when I was in Delhi...sometimes hubby and me would drive to Chanakya without any prior planning and then hunt for guys selling tickets in black... it was great fun and some fear to...when money quietly exchanged hands and we finally managed to get the coveted tickets

And we were there when the first multiplex- PVR opened...and suddenly tickets became slightly easier to buy...walking on the plush carpets and having the cushioned seats with cup holders was quite something!

And here in Abu Dhabi...u can just walk in 5 minutes before the first day first show and get the best tickets...such a luxury...and popcorns and cokes have to be bought for the kids of course...and I can see the same excitement in their eyes that I used to experience in the dark run down theatre of the small town years ago!

Exactly my feelings..About the National Anthem πŸ˜•- other than the '1942 a love story', I don't remember the National Anthem being played in the end of any other movie....

I too love the Samosas, cake and the other junk food that we can get there..In fact I don't enjoy Popcorn at all and always get reminded of nice hot samosas instead ...But I love the feeling of being able to sit and forget everything else and get immersed into some other make believe world... 😳 ...Movies like Dhoom2,Parineeta,Black,Lakshya have to be watched on big screen to experience the magic..

However being able to watch the movies on DVD has its own advantages..There are some movies(in recent times, movies like 'life mein kabhi kabhi','tararampum' and now I am waiting for the 'Jhoom barabar Jhoom' DVD too) that I like to check out with my fingure constantly on the FW button, but check them out I mustπŸ˜†...In such cases it makes more sense for me to spend not more than a $1 on these...Imagine getting stuck in a theater with these movies.. πŸ˜†
kabhi_21 thumbnail
I was nt a movie hall freak until I stepped out of my parents house.... but after watching few movies in halls I dont feel like watching movie on TV πŸ˜† ..... I dont get satisfaction out of watching movie on TV... the latest i watched on theatre was this sunday "Pirates of the Caribean 3 πŸ˜›

But Most of the movies in movie halls I have watched out of self earned money.... I never felt like asking for money to watcha movie in my childhood from my parents.... I even never liked to ask money for picnic .... So I went to Kulu Manali and Shimla the first year of my job πŸ˜† But I did feel like asking to my company for travelling expense and my travelling was sponsorred by company πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜†
sohn thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
I think there are movies to watch in the hall, there are some movies to watch at home and then there are some movies to watch home again after you've watched them atleast a few times in the hall n no more cus they aren't showing anymore! πŸ˜›

Lord of the rings, Star Wars, Pirates n similar filmography ..you really cant watch them at home. And I've watched Hera Pheri atleast a 100 times at home after watching it once in the cine hall. Ofcourse with the rewind/fwd/pause buttons at play ..cus I had literally memorized the dialogs πŸ˜›

Think it depends on the movie.Edited by sohn - 16 years ago
-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
I like to watch horror movies in theater's only...
😊

Long B4 with friends watched a 2nd show, it was a horror movie..'Evil dead',πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜› ,after the movie all stayed n my home cos fear to leave alone... πŸ˜‰ 😈
Bubbly_Shelly thumbnail

Nice topic Anshu!😊

I think that watching movies in a theatre is a total different experience than watching it at home it's like at the theatres you get popcorn, coke and it's all dark with those sound effects and the big screen! But these days you can do the same at home get a home theatre system, buy a large screen tv and of course get popcorn and coke at home. As my dad always says it's free!πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜† Plus, if it's not too great of a movie that you're watching and say you have it on DVD, you can always forward it.πŸ˜›πŸ˜‰ And if you missed something or want to see it again you can always rewind and if you..maybe i should stop.πŸ˜†

Anyways, i guess going out to watch the movie in theatres is a different experience and you also get to have some good times with family and friends eating the popcorn and having a good laugh, but you can always watch movies at home too. So I'll just say that they're 2 different experiences.😊

~LiL*PrInCeZ~ thumbnail
i perfer watching the movie at home for the reasons others stated. Even tho
some movies are better on the big sccreen, most movies can recreate the
same magic in the comforts of our homes. especially with the new sound
systems/larger screened tvs. unless im hanging with friends and we all
decide to go watch a movie, i hardly ever go to the movies. but i watch
everything on tv (or online πŸ˜‰). its easier, more convenient and less
dirturbing
raj5000 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Bubblez and guys - thanks for response...

Tangent here - movies are made to watched in halls, that where the revenue comes, if we all agree on home watching with piracy and free net download one day whole industry will be doomed. Thoughts?
sohn thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: raj5000

Bubblez and guys - thanks for response...

Tangent here - movies are made to watched in halls, that where the revenue comes, if we all agree on home watching with piracy and free net download one day whole industry will be doomed. Thoughts?

I agree but they do have some sort of revenue comin out of DVD prints too right?
And watching cus of piracy and free net download...erm erm nah nah, aisa koi nahin karta. Kuch bhi bolta hain!!! πŸ˜›
raj5000 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Thanks for responses... sounds like depends on personal preferences, still feel we agree movie in hall is uncomparable. TV is just convinience. 😊 Request to close this topic by weekend. Thanks!