Page 1 of 3

Page 1
Page   of 3
Page 2 Page 3

divan

IF-Rockerz

divan

Posted: 19 June 2007 at 8:06am | IP Logged

Short story: for all the JB despos wanting to relive June 19th  and are hoping for Ekta brings to screen soon.

The Prodigal Son

Bani Walia sits in the darkened room contemplating her life.

Her mind retraces the events of one year ago…The day of her marriage to Jai Walia.

How happy she had been that day? She had a perfect wedding. She had looked beautiful in her wedding attire. The lavish ceremony and the party that followed had been planned with no thought to the cost by her father-in-law, Uday Walia. Why not? His only son was getting married to the bride of his choice.

Uday had adored Bani as soon as he had seen her at a friend's party. She had stood out in the crowd of over made, overdressed girl with their doting mothers. The simple yet beautiful girl had won his heart with her charming manners and respect.

He had got his friend to arrange a meeting with her father to make marriage proposal for his son and Bani. Bani's father had been overwhelmed at the prospect of his daughter marrying into such well-respected and wealthy family. Uday had given her a photo of Jai, telling them he was away on business but as soon as he returned he wanted the marriage to take place if she accepted the proposal.

Within two days of Jai arriving, the marriage had been fixed. They had met. Bani did not give much thought to aloofness which Jai displayed, brushing it off as shyness, as she too had been tongue-tied when she seen the tall, handsome man in front of her. She had fallen in love with the man of her dreams. He had lived up to image in the photo she had fallen asleep with everyday.

On their wedding night the reality of the marriage took place. Jai had stormed into the room and told her he had only married her to make his father happy. He had no intention of carrying out the duties of a husband. She was free to do as she pleased and he would be gone tomorrow, back to Dubai to his girlfriend.

Bani had cried herself to sleep that night. In the morning she had gone downstairs with eyes red from crying. Uday had taken her into the study and very lovingly apologized for Jai's behaviour. He had hoped Jai would bend to his wishes and settle down with the girl of his choice. He bluntly told her he had never approved of any Jai's girlfriend…they were all gold diggers, only interested in him for his money. He wanted a girl who would make his house a home, fill it with love and care.

He made Bani promise him that she would stay with them for a year, give Jai a chance…their marriage a chance.

Reluctantly Bani had obeyed his wishes. Uday and Krishna had showered love and affection on her to make up for her hurt. She in turn had devoted her time in taking care of them, the house and the business. For Uday she had become the child Jai had never become…a rock to lean on in his approaching old age.

Jai had paid brief visits couple of time but father and son had argued each time, with Jai running off within couple of days of arriving.

Ten months into the marriage, Uday had suffered a massive stroke and had gone into coma. It was Bani who had called Jai up to let him know of his father's condition. It was she who had comforted broken down Krishna…her shoulder Krishna had cried on the whole night.

Jai had sat alone and cried at his father's bedside. Krishna had rebuffed Jai, making it clear she did not consider him her son any more. Bani had become emotional at the harsh words uttered by Krishna, but than she remembered the words he had hurled at her not so long ago.

Bani was at Uday beside throughout, briefly going out to take care of urgent business and make sure Krishna was taken care of. Jai had watched her silently and had not offered any help. He was angry at his girlfriend Roshni. He had asked her to come down but she had made excuses each time. He needed her…he wanted someone to talk to, someone to comfort him.

A month later Uday had died. He never regained consciousness. Bani had silently taken care of everything. Jai was forced to take over the business and he was glad. It had given  him an opportunity to immerse himself into work and to forget the pain and loneliness he felt. Roshni had been discarded from his life. There was no need for a woman in his life who was not prepared to be there for him when he needed her. Secretly he had been  jealous of Bani. How can someone be so selfless? Giving without asking for anything in return…he realized that's what she had done when he had abandoned her and his parents. She had stayed with them and loved them.

She stood up and took her bag out from the dressing room and opening the wardrobes started putting some of her clothes in, she only needed simple dresses, there would be no need for the heavy saris and dresses that Krishna had given her. She locked the bag and put it on the floor. She went into the bathroom and splashed cold water on her face. It calmed her. She looked around the room and her eyes fell on the photo of her, Jai, Krishna and Uday from their wedding day. She picks it up and looks at it fondly and decides to take it. Picking up her bag she turns as the door of her room opens. Jai stands at the door, looking at her. Their eyes lock for a moment until Bani looks away. As she takes a step, he moves towards her, "Where are you going Bani?" he asks.

"I am leaving the house Jai, I don't know where I am going, but hopefully somewhere away from Mumbai." She does not look at him.

He takes the bag from her hand and puts it on the floor and takes her arm and calmly says, "Bani I need to talk to you. Once I have said what ever I need to say, you are free to go. I won't stop you."

His words make her jerk her head in his directions. She looks at his face searchingly. He pulls her and makes her sit on the bed. Kneeling beside her he takes her hands in his.

"Bani I know I have hurt you tremendously…I don't deserve to be forgiven, but I am still asking you to forgive me. I cannot take back the words I said to you, but I was hurt and angry because papa wasn't prepared to listen to me. I realize now that papa was right…his choice was right. It's too late for me to turn the clock back. It hurts that I cannot say sorry to him. Now I realize what he was trying to say…you are everything he said you would be. A daughter who will take care of the house, take care of the parents and take care of me."

He cannot control the tears from falling down his cheeks as he falters.

"Why did he have to die, to make me realize the importance of a relationship? I thought Roshni would make an ideal life partner but she couldn't even make time to be with me when I needed someone."

Bani is confused, didn't know what to say, what to do. Why is he saying this now? She sat there staring at him, her head reeling with conflict of emotions. Anger takes hold of her as she shouts, "Jai why are you telling me this now. I do not want to stay with you…I am leaving. It's time you took on the responsibility of looking after your mother. I want to be free from you, to live my life away from you. You told me I was free to do what I want. I am not tied to the promise I gave papa. I no longer have to sit and wait for you to come back to me."

She pulls her hands free from his grasp. He is unwilling to let her go.

"Please don't go? I want us to start fresh. Please Bani…Roshni is no longer a part of my life and will never be." He lays his head on her lap and cries softly. Involuntarily her hand moves to his head. She cannot control her actions and her fingers caresses his head. The anger built up slips as sees his helplessness, his insecurities…gone is the arrogant man who had stood and hurled cruel words at her.

They sit there in limbo…she not moving…he still shaking with tears. Tears subsides and he just lays there not moving…scared if he moved she would walk away. She slowly moves her hand to his face and lifting it up, wipes the tearstains with her pallu. A slow smile lights up her face as she sees the plea to understand him in his deep dark eyes.

Hope flickers on his face…maybe she will give him a chance. He sits beside her…uneasy silence follows as they both struggle with their thoughts. He whispers her name, "Bani…"

She puts her finger on his lips… she doesn't need to hear anything else. She lifts her face forward and touches his lips lightly…those lips… the ones she had kissed on his photo every night before going to bed before marriage, falling asleep, dreaming of him making passionate love to her.

She remembers Uday saying to her, one day I know he will come back to you. He will love you. How could papa have so much faith, trust in his son? The son who had turned his back on him, leaving him, no regards for the pain he had caused him.

His hands envelopes her as the kiss deepens. She does nothing to stop him… she wants to love with no conditions attached…to feel his warm body next to her. Her arms wound round his neck as she kisses him back, kissing with resolve, murmuring he meant everything to her…only holding back the words she wants to say…she loves him, had always loved and will always love him. His mouth slowly moves down her throat, moving to the base of her neck. She could sense his feelings…his desires…his want. The clothes stripes away in the throes of passion. She clings to him as his hands strokes her back. It was mutual lovemaking, both making love to one another with abandon. She gasps and calls out his name as they both reach the climax of their lovemaking.

They lie entangled, his lips kissing the pulse pounding in her neck. She rolls over and faces him. She looks into his eyes…reading the unspoken words, feeling immense emotion, she whispers the words she wants him to hear, "I love you." His eyes darken with emotions hearing those words created, She knew she would never leave him, she belonged with him…he was her life now.

The End

Thanks for reading, do leave comments good or bad.

The following 11 member(s) liked the above post:

farha451288karankritika27static_chaos23joa123soumiyapreeti73pooksj&b84khushboo2006sparikhalicia212

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Short Story - The Prodigal Son" in Kasamh Se (Kasam Se) forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

loka

IF-Dazzler

loka

Posted: 19 June 2007 at 8:11am | IP Logged
WOW...Such an Awesome story
very apt stroy for June 19 Embarrassed
I love it Big smile
JB always Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed
Happy Jani Day Embarrassed

divya_123

IF-Rockerz

divya_123

Meera Banner Contest Winner

Posted: 19 June 2007 at 8:34am | IP Logged
fab FF dear
Clap Clap Clap simple and sweet Embarrassed

Sheena_Row

IF-Rockerz

Sheena_Row

Posted: 19 June 2007 at 9:27am | IP Logged
Divan,

That was a beautiful story, Bani is such a sweetheart, always giving in and always loving everyone.

Glad Jai finally realized what Roshni is all about and went back, just sad that Uday died without seeing Jai!

HumaG

IF-Rockerz

HumaG

Posted: 19 June 2007 at 10:17am | IP Logged
wow that was an amazing story perfect for june 19th! Clap Clap Clap

jigna_07

IF-Rockerz

jigna_07

Posted: 19 June 2007 at 10:21am | IP Logged
wow that was an amazing story
Bani got the love from her husband that she deserved
please continue soon

7387_nidhi

7387_nidhi

Posted: 19 June 2007 at 10:30am | IP Logged
Great Job. Very nicely written. keep up the good work.

ofcourse

IF-Dazzler

ofcourse

Posted: 19 June 2007 at 11:03am | IP Logged
A gr8 treat to us on this memorable day.. Clap Clap Clap

Post Reply New Post

Go to top