Debate Championship (1): Closed!!!

Posted: 16 years ago

Hello Dear KyunkiansπŸ€—

Welcome to the very first Debate Championship in Kyunki

Since its the first time, many of you might be confused as to how we're going about it. Let me explain. First, I'd like to introduce to you our teams;

Team 1;

1)rutumodi915

2)uru_hershey

3)hello64

4)measha

Team 2;

-xx-Roohani-xx-

pikablu

bhaveshavani

aviskar

The Topic Is;

Kyunki - Seven years down the line, the storyline has completely deteriorated in some peoples opinions, while the others still find it worthwhile. Either way, love it or hate it, most of all find ourselves hooked to it. With Smriti's departure, is it finally time that Ekta grants KSBKBT a dignified end?

"Should KSBKBT end???"

Now, Team 1 is the FOR team , which believes, that YES, Kyunki should end.

Team 2, is the AGAINST team, which argues that NO, Kyunki should not end just as yet.

The teams have been chosen randomly. Please stick to them, we can NOT change them whatsoever. Debating is all about putting yourself in someone else's shoes. Even if you dont believe in the statement, try to think from the point of view of those who do.

Remember to stick by facts and support them by examples as much as possible to have a better chance of winning the debate.

And finally, the Rules. PLEASE read them thoroughly before debating.

1) Read the India Forums Code Of Conduct. We expect our debaters to remain calm and cordial always. Remember, a debate is an exchange of ideas, while an argument is an exchange of ignorance. Bad language, personal attacks etc. can lead to a disqualification.

2)Debate logically, do NOT use short forms or SMS lingo. Make sure your posts are in correct english and properly punctuated.

3) Recognize your team members and debate against the opposite team only .

4) Editing your posts is NOT allowed. All edited posts will not be taken into consideration.

5)Each team will be assigned a colour, and are to post in that colour and font only.

Team 1- Blue

Team 2 - Red

Please make sure you stick to these colours only.

6) This thread is open to the DEV team members and participants only. We would appreciate it that our other members read the debate silently. Any comments /compliments/suggestions can be voiced when the results are announced. All posts except those of the DEV team members and participants will be TRASHED.

7) The debate will begin on the 15th of June, Friday, at 11:30 pm IST. It will end exactly 7 days later.

8) The debate will be judged by a panel of judges comprising of 7 DEV team members. After the debate is over, a "Judges Thread" will be opened , where all the judges will give their comments and decisions regarding the winning team. There will be a winning team, a winning debator, and a runner up. The winner of the first debate and the runner up-these two will advance to the next debate.

All the best to the participants. This thread will now be opened tommorrow evening.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

-Kyunki DEV Team-

Edited by darkness_123 - 16 years ago
This debate is now open, teams may make their opening statements!!!!

The floor's yours for the taking! πŸ˜‰

Good Luck y'all! Let's get it started in here!!!!! πŸ‘ πŸ‘
Edited by darkness_123 - 16 years ago

Good afternoon/evening everyone! Before we begin, here is a little introduction about me.

Name: Rutu        Age: 18        Country: US of A

My favorite Kyunki character: Tulsi Virani

Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi should end! 😳

KSBKBT was the first product of the K factory. Of course, Balaji Telefilms was functional before but Kyunki was the first of its kind and started the money plant for Balaji. Kyunki did wonders and over the years won the heart of millions.

I vividly remember when Kyunki made its foray in everyone's life at 10:30 PM on Star Plus, the time slot that it has not given up ever since. I was in 7th grade and remember being glued to the TV on July 3, '07 watching Kaun Banega Crorepati, Kahanii Ghar Ghar Ki and then Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi. Tulsi instantly won my hearts. With the sweet Gujarati style sari, the pretty open hair with that little lat of hair coming out on the side, Smriti won the hearts of millions instantaneously. Mihir (Amar Upadhyay), with his dimpled cheeks, became the apple of women of all ages across the country. Savita (Apara Mehta), Daksha (Ketki Dave), Payal (Jaya Bhattacharya) and Baa (Sudha Shivpuri) were the other prominent characters, along with many others, who found a place in everyone's homes also.

Every character was given a unique look and everyone was a delight to look at. The story really portrayed the title. That was the best time of KSBKBT. Later came the second generation, which was quite decent. But Nandini-Karan-Ansh triangle, in spite of having the famous Hiten-Gauri did not recreate the magic of Tulsi-Mihi-Payal/Mandira. But still, Ansh's death, Tanya, Tripti and Mohini's entrance, Mandira's comeback, Savita's death and Tulsi's everlasting fight against evil garnered awesome TRPs. By this time, people had started saying that Ekta is churning illogical cr*p but people were glued to their favorite characters anyway.

After sending away Tulsi to Haridwar, Shanti-Niketan welcomed the fifth generation with the cute Lakshya and pretty KT. Leave Tulsi-Mihir-Payal, the KT-Lakshya-Eklavya triangle did not get even close to Karan-Nandini-Ansh. The same Akashdeep Segal who played the deadly Ansh was just irritating as Eklavya. When one saw Ansh, the eyes were deadly and the long hair was freaky but the evil Eklavya with his black tilak just brings a frown on the face, one feels like saying, "Oh cut the cr*p." It's been about a year since KT, Lakshya, Eklavya, Bhumi, Nakul, Mayank, Manthan, Abir etc made their entry and people are fed up already. People still watch it but the enthusiasm is gone. When the first generation ended, people were left wanting for more. The second generation was full-time entertainment till characters like Meera, Mohini and Tripti were introduced. The charm was starting to go. Now, with KT married to Eklavya, Lakshya's new bride Lakshmi running away, Mayank being totally forgotten, Archita getting married to Abir, I find it really hard to foresee anything good happening in Kyunki anymore.

The biggest blow, of course, is Smriti Z Malhotra Irani's exit from Kyunki. There are no confirmed reports as to whether she is gone for good or she is going to be back. The woman who rocked the nation with her strength, amazing body language and great voice modulation bid adieu to Kyunki (supposedly, for 3 months). Gautami Gadgil Kapoor is a great actress as well, but her act as Tulsi in the first two days did not win any applause. Hopefully, she will improve by time. But, will she be able to recreate the magic Tulsi created every time she faced evil? Will she able to express every emotion as realistically as Smriti? Personally, I don't think so.

Over the years, I feel that Kyunki has lost its charm. The story-lines repeat themselves. If not in Kyunki, it is bound to have happened in some other Balaji production. Except for fresh faces, it has nothing fresh to offer anymore. Everything is becoming really predictable. Logic and Balaji hardly go together but the masses are not as stupid as to stay in front of the idiot box, irrespective of what is shown to them. If not now, then a couple years down the line, the Indian TV viewers will definitely be blessed with better choice and Kyunki will go down the drain. With realistic cinema becoming so big, realistic TV is not far either. Reality shows are already a hit and I am sure, there will be soaps of better quality as well. People are tired when they come home and they would rather watch something entertaining than a 70 year old woman fighting for justice. The formula is rotten now.

Everything that ends at the right time is looked upon with great respect than things that are dragged. For example, Madhuri and Sridevi ended their careers right when they were at top. People were left wanting more out of them. Mithun Chakraborty, who won three national awards, was the most sought after actor of the 80's but once he started growing old, he started to act in B grade films and lost respect in the eyes of every movie-goer. He has made a good comeback now but the love and adulation he received in the eighties has gone. Similary, Ekta's soaps such as Kutumb 1 and Kanyadaan, which started before Kyunki ended right on time and won a place in everyone's hearts and people applauded the decision of ending it on right time.

So, it's high time now that KSBKBT bids goodbye to the 10:30-11:00 time band and leaves with glory and respect, while it is still possible. Get Karan and Nandini together, Sahil-Ganga and KT-Lakshya together, make Mayank sane, give Damini some sense, kill off Mandira, tell Bhumi, Manthan and Archita the truth and end the show for good is my take on this debate!

Have fun debating! 😊

Originally posted by rutumodi915

I vividly remember when Kyunki made its foray in everyone's life at 10:30 PM on Star Plus, the time slot that it has not given up ever since. I was in 7th grade and remember being glued to the TV on July 3, '07 watching Kaun Banega Crorepati, Kahanii Ghar Ghar Ki and then Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi.

Sorry for making another post, but just wanted to say that I meant July 3, 2000 and not 2007. πŸ˜›

Come on people, start arguing!

Have Fun!

Come on "AGAINST" Team, where's your opening statement? You dont have much time, you know...?
Okay so here is my introduction:

Name: Shiv Chauhan
My Favorite Character: Daksha

Kyunki Saans Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi should never end!

Kyunki was the first real success of Balaji Telefilms and ever since the year of 2000, Balaji has continued to make hits like Kahaani Ghar Ghar Ki, Kasauti Zindagi Ki, Kahin Kisi Roz, Kahin To Hoga etc. It placed itself in the highest tier of Indian Television and continued to gain popularity all across India. But, that was just the beginning as it spread to all corners of the world where no one would ever dare to want to miss a single episode of the serial. The story was fantastic and breath-taking truly something that glued people to the TV screen and it made Star Plus what it is today; the number one channel in India.

Though somewhere down the line when the character of Ansh appeared people have been complaining that Kyunki was not keeping up with the standards it had done previously. Characters started disappearing, bloopers began appearing and the very essence of the happy Virani family was lost. Though Hiten Tejwani and Gauri Pradhan won the hearts of many people it seems that people somehow believed that the magic of Kyunki was lost. Nevertheless people continued to watch the serial because they enjoyed the couple. Again people complained that the serial was becoming too serious and that there was a lack of comic relief. With the losses of the characters Daksha and Indu, people started to complain about a lack of comedy. So Kyunki introduced the character Mohini who was, although money-hungry, a comic character. The storylines continued to make viewers interested but another problem arose:

By the end of 2005 people started complaining again that the serial had lost the magic it once had for there was just too many illogical things happening. With Sahil and Ganga separating and Nandini going to jail people were complaining time and time again.

When the leap came around, it gave the serial a small ounce of freshness and introduced a new couple that would win the hearts of every person and that was KT-Lakshya. The audience once again complained that they were waiting for Nandini's return. When she returned, the audience complained again and this time it was about reptition, by comparing the KT-Lakshya-Saniya-Eklavya track to the Nandini-Karan-Tanya-Ansh track.

With many people complaining about missing characters, the characters; Shobha, Pari, Prajakta, Chirag, Daksha, Himmat, Nandini all made comebacks. But still that did'nt seem to please the viewers and they started complaining about Ekta injusticefully just separating favorite couples (Ganga-Sahil, Karan-Nandini, KT-Lakshya, Shobha-Abhishek, Gautam-Teesha, Bhoomi-Abhir and even Mihir-Tulsi). So as time went by we saw Tanya turning evil since many seemed to have disliked her character. Damini aslo turned evil, Ganga was gaining a place in Sahil's life again. Shobha started to reliase her mistakes through Pari. Abhir even started loving Bhoomi, as Lakshya was engaged to KT (though Eklavya still married her). Mihir and Tulsi are probably one of the most well known couples as they have gone through a lot but lately Mihir has not supported Tulsi; Meera and now their bahus. People again complain about the realism in Kyunki.

With the latest news that people do not want to believe is that Tulsi is on a three month break. In spite of all the articles saying that nothing is wrong between Ekta and Smriti, though people dont seem to accept it and automatically assume that it's all Ekta's fault. Then the articles say she is on a break when Smriti herself said she was coming back and Ekta said the role is always for her, then again some people think negatively saying that these are all lies. Some people even go to the extent of saying that 'I hope when she leaves Kyunki loses its TRPs and ends'. Why not think positively for a change and not be pessimistic. These people also complain that they do not show optimism and too much 'rona dhona' and look at what those people themselves are demonstrating. Well yes after all Daksha isn't there and Mohini has disappeared, haven't they?

She has been replaced with Gautami who is a fabulous actress, but many say she is not meant for the role. How quickly one judges someone when they have preformed for only two days. Not only that but she is under a lot of pressure as she is being watched by millions of people worldwide.

Lastly, I mentioned earlier and a lot of times that people were constantly complaining. Okay now, hasn't Ekta done nearly everything for the audience? Remember in 2001 when Mihir died, he was brought back just for the audience. Daksha was brought back along with Prajakta for comedy yet there is always something the audience seems to pick out in order to complain again. People complained that, 'Why does Ekta always separate the couples' when you should be asking, 'Why does Ekta never separate'. The couples have always come back together, Ganga-Sahil the first time came back together, Mihir-Tulsi have come back together countless times, Gautam-Teesha were also reunited, Chirag-Prajakta got married without hassle and Tulsi stopped Payal from preventing Hemant-Pooja from getting married. Kyunki has not lost the happy family; Bhoomi and Manthan still loves their parents, Prajakta-Daksha always have good comic scenes, the religious traditions are still there (Diwali, Holi, Dandiya, Ganpati etc. as Ekta has always respected Bagwan in all of her serials) and many other things keep the Virani family not only through bad times but also through god times as well. The audience themselves complained about Ansh, yet when good Eklavya came they thought of it as reptition and started remembering all the things about Ansh that made the serial so great. Complain, complain, complain, yet Ekta gives all these things for you.

Also, the issue with realism is point to be adressed. Yes, I even agree that there is almost no realism. But, did Ekta ever say this was going to be just like real life and wouldn't people find that boring? People who say this are likely to be overeacting as this drama is a DRAMA and not some historical documentry like Prithiraj Chauhan. IT IS ONLY FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES!

Why contradict yourself, one moment you say I don't like Kyunki but then the next day your glued to it again? 'If you dont like the serial don't watch it', as Ekta said in Koffee with Karan. Please stop complaining and if you want to change Kyunki go to Ekta, otherwise do not watch it. 'Why did Ekta do this? Why did Ekta do that' enough is enough! Kyunki should not end because it still entertaining to watch as it is not boring as some suggest it to be.

Thank you!
Have fun debating people!
May rebuttal begin! C'mon teams!!!!! Where are y'all??

First of all, good response!

Originally posted by pikablu

With the losses of the characters Daksha and Indu, people started to complain about a lack of comedy. So Kyunki introduced the character Mohini who was, although money-hungry, a comic character. [/Quote]

Seriously? You are comparing Daksha's Ar-ra-ra and Indu's acting fascination with Mohini's money jokes? I doubt if anyone would agree to this observation of yours. According to me, the comic part in Kyunki was lost ever since Daksha left and it has not returned. And as for Daksha's return, do you really think the comic standard is the same as it used to be before?

[Quote=pikablu]the audience complained again and this time it was about reptition, by comparing the KT-Lakshya-Saniya-Eklavya track to the Nandini-Karan-Tanya-Ansh track. [/quote]

Thank you for restating my views!

[quote=pikablu]
With the latest news that people do not want to believe is that Tulsi is on a three month break. In spite of all the articles saying that nothing is wrong between Ekta and Smriti, though people dont seem to accept it and automatically assume that it's all Ekta's fault. Then the articles say she is on a break when Smriti herself said she was coming back and Ekta said the role is always for her, then again some people think negatively saying that these are all lies. Some people even go to the extent of saying that 'I hope when she leaves Kyunki loses its TRPs and ends'. Why not think positively for a change and not be pessimistic. These people also complain that they do not show optimism and too much 'rona dhona' and look at what those people themselves are demonstrating. Well yes after all Daksha isn't there and Mohini has disappeared, haven't they? [/quote]

The whole Smriti-Ekta debacle has nothing to do with this debate. And, as for people stating the stuff about TRPs, I am against that also. Yes, people need to be positive. And Smriti has really left Kyunki, maybe for 3 months and maybe forever, and it really does not matter whose fault it was. It will be really wrong to say that Kyunki won't suffer due to Smriti's departure. Now, that is not being negative, but it is being realistic. 

[quote=pikablu]She has been replaced with Gautami who is a fabulous actress, but many say she is not meant for the role. How quickly one judges someone when they have preformed for only two days. Not only that but she is under a lot of pressure as she is being watched by millions of people worldwide. [/quote]

Thumbs up to Gautami for taking up this difficult role. And, two days is indeed a short period to judge someone. But you see, Sholay is being remade and people have started comparing even before its release. So, you can't blame anyone for that. That is human nature and is bound to happen. Let's hope Gautami comes at least somewhere near THE Smriti Tulsi Irani which I personally don't think is possible.

[quote=pikablu]People complained that, 'Why does Ekta always separate the couples' when you should be asking, 'Why does Ekta never separate'. The couples have always come back together, Ganga-Sahil the first time came back together, Mihir-Tulsi have come back together countless times, Gautam-Teesha were also reunited, Chirag-Prajakta got married without hassle and Tulsi stopped Payal from preventing Hemant-Pooja from getting married. Kyunki has not lost the happy family; Bhoomi and Manthan still loves their parents, Prajakta-Daksha always have good comic scenes, the religious traditions are still there (Diwali, Holi, Dandiya, Ganpati etc. as Ekta has always respected Bagwan in all of her serials) and many other things keep the Virani family not only through bad times but also through god times as well. The audience themselves complained about Ansh, yet when good Eklavya came they thought of it as reptition and started remembering all the things about Ansh that made the serial so great. Complain, complain, complain, yet Ekta gives all these things for you. [/quote]

Dude, I think you have got the definition of entertainment wrong somewhere. She makes the soaps for masses and you are telling us that they don't have a right to complain? We are in a free democratic country and there are still people who don't have a right to protest against things they don't like. And as far as Ekta giving everything to audience, let's just do the audience do the talking. Let's conduct a survey and see how many people actually agree with you.

[quote=pikablu]Also, the issue with realism is point to be adressed. Yes, I even agree that there is almost no realism. But, did Ekta ever say this was going to be just like real life and wouldn't people find that boring? People who say this are likely to be overeacting as this drama is a DRAMA and not some historical documentry like Prithiraj Chauhan. IT IS ONLY FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES! [/quote]

Review my previous post and see that I have agreed that it is for entertainment purposes only. But the thing is, someday people are going to get fed up with this logic less stuff. Just the way movies with old formulas are not working anymore, the K-factory will shut down also. So, instead of falling down in people's eyes, it is better to leave with glory.

[quote=pikablu]Why contradict yourself, one moment you say I don't like Kyunki but then the next day your glued to it again? 'If you dont like the serial don't watch it', as Ekta said in Koffee with Karan. Please stop complaining and if you want to change Kyunki go to Ekta, otherwise do not watch it. 'Why did Ekta do this? Why did Ekta do that' enough is enough! Kyunki should not end because it still entertaining to watch as it is not boring as some suggest it to be.

Arey baba, agar sab Ekta tak pahunch sakte to problem kya hota? But you see, that's not really possible. And masses are never going to stop talking. And since, so many people are complaining, better get it over with. And Ekta attitude, "Don't watch it if you don't want to" is really arrogant. An entertainer should make a product that is enjoyable by everyone in the society. And, having people glued to the television is an achievement for sure but till how long are people going to remain hooked due to mere addiction? Instead of having so many people complaining, it is time either to improve it or end it. Improvement is out of question as Ekta is proud about her creativity, so the other near-good way is to end it.

uru_hershey, hello64, measha - Kahan ho tum sab? Aao, support our team!!! Let's do it! 😳

-xx-Roohani-xx-, bhaveshavani, aviskar - pikablu, get em too so we can have something to talk about!

Can these ppl be PMed plz, mods? This is like THE dryest debate I have seen... koi kuch bolta hi nahi hai. πŸ˜”

Originally posted by rutumodi915

The biggest blow, of course, is Smriti Z Malhotra Irani's exit from Kyunki. There are no confirmed reports as to whether she is gone for good or she is going to be back. The woman who rocked the nation with her strength, amazing body language and great voice modulation bid adieu to Kyunki (supposedly, for 3 months). Gautami Gadgil Kapoor is a great actress as well, but her act as Tulsi in the first two days did not win any applause. Hopefully, she will improve by time. But, will she be able to recreate the magic Tulsi created every time she faced evil? Will she able to express every emotion as realistically as Smriti? Personally, I don't think so.

Okay i disagree with you on this part . First of all how do u know gautami's act hasn't won any applause in the first two days. Did you take a vote from the whole forum or what?πŸ˜†

The second of all gautami has only acted for two days, give her a break. Obviously people are not used to seeing her but that doens't mean she won't eventually be able to potray tulsi. She acts brillantly in my eyes.πŸ˜ƒ

(i would like to tell you guys since this is my first time debating, sorry if there are mistakes)

Edited by aviskar - 16 years ago