0mega Galaxy

Groupbie

0mega Galaxy

Posted: 14 June 2007 at 5:58am | IP Logged

Gandhi's b'day to be world's non-violence day
var title1 = document.title;
Posted online: Thursday, June 14, 2007 at 1218 hours IST
Updated: Thursday, June 14, 2007 at 1225 hours IST

Gandhi hspace4 United Nations, June 14: The United Nations General Assembly will declare October 2 -- the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi -- as 'International Day of Non-Violence' in recognition of his role in promoting the message of peace around the world.

A resolution reaffirming the universal relevance of non-violence, initiated by India and co-sponsored by more than 120 of the 191 members of the Assembly, is expected to be adopted unanimously on Friday.

The day will be observed for the first time on October 2 next, after which it would become an annual event.

Minister of State for External Affairs Anand Sharma will participate in the formal adoption of the resolution which diplomats and officials say is very timely as the United Nations is expanding its efforts to resolve conflicts.

Most of the major countries, including Russia, China, Britain, France and Germany, are among the co sponsors. From the subcontinent, Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Afghanistan and Bhutan are among those sponsoring it.

More countries are likely to join in sponsoring it by the time the Assembly considers it. The resolution stresses that non violence, tolerance, full respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms for all, democracy, development, mutual understanding and respect for diversity are interlinked and reinforcing. The resolution says that "The Assembly decides, with effect from the 62nd session of the General Assembly (which begins in September next) and guided by the Charter of the United Nations, to observe the International Day of Non-Violence on October 2 each year, with the International day being brought to the attention of all people for its celebration and observance on this date." It invites all member states, NGOs and individuals to commemorate the day and to disseminate the message of non-violence, "including through education and public awareness."

The resolution also requests the Secretary-General to recommend ways and means by which the UN systems can assist member states in organising activities to commemorate the day.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Gandhi's b'day to be world's non-violence" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

manjujain

IF-Sizzlerz

manjujain

Posted: 14 June 2007 at 5:49pm | IP Logged
Thanks for sharing. It's good to hear. I remember 2nd Oct as Lal Bahadur Shashtri's Birthday. In my opinion he was an honest PM. He is never given the respect what he deserves. I think he is the only PM (May be other than Atal Bihari Bajpayee now) who never misused Govt things... didn't have house even after being PM.. didn't gave children any advantage of being child of PM... I salute him...

kabhi_21

IF-Rockerz

kabhi_21

Posted: 15 June 2007 at 2:29am | IP Logged
its a great news but i would like all days to be non-violence days Big smile

kabhi_21

IF-Rockerz

kabhi_21

Posted: 15 June 2007 at 2:30am | IP Logged
its a great news but i would like all days to be non-violence days Big smile

Post Reply New Post

Go to top