Page 1 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

topgun11

IF-Sizzlerz

topgun11

Posted: 08 June 2007 at 6:55am | IP Logged
Cheeni Kum is no doubt a brilliant film however many thought (including me) whether calling the 7-year-old girl who is battling with cancer "Sexy" was appropriate. I know the director's intentions were pure and he meant no harm but we do live in impressionable times. Here is Balki's take on the whole controversy.

8.jpg

"Who are these people and what do they find so objectionable in a little girl being called Sexy? It's like any little girl dressing up in her mother's sari and lipstick, posing before a mirror and trying to be 'sexy' without knowing what the word means. Why such a hue and cry over an innocent name!"

"I don't know why anyone should object when the censor board had no objections. 'Cheeni Kum' has family audiences coming in droves. I don't know of any parent or child feeling uncomfortable with Swini being named Sexy.

"Though some sociologist in one of the articles is quoted as saying it's dangerous, I don't see anyone getting anxious because Bachchan calls the kid Sexy. Dirty or clean, it's all in the viewers' minds. Really, I'm struck speechless after this unnecessary controversy."

"If we filmmakers are muzzled and muffled for a harmless name given to a child with no ulterior motives, then we might as well go back to the times when the hero was named Rama and the villain Ravan. And if the heroine had twins they had to be Luv and Kush," he added.

So what do you as a viewer feel? The girl was brilliant in the film and the movie has a lot of tongue and cheek humor. But I also feel that movies can interpreted anyway and that's where at times the danger lies. Calling the kid "Sexy" was not necessary and didn't add to her character.

Edited by topgun11 - 08 June 2007 at 6:55am

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "The Whole "Sexy" Controversy" in Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

simran1285

IF-Dazzler

simran1285

Posted: 08 June 2007 at 7:23am | IP Logged

I think people need to seriously grow up first the Richard Gere and Shilpa kiss now this, In the age of new technology and science where the children are more knowledgable and aware at a young age of the happenings in the world today we are creating a fuss over a child named sexy Confused ? If people are so concerned for their children how about getting rid of child prostitution first! which mind you is happening daily in India Ouch .

The children today are more sharp and witty I don't think such a thing as this should tamper with thier mindset or their future.

Another thing, I honestly believe the audience really didn't even care about the child being called sexy, it's the media that is creating this whole "controversy."

Just my 2 centsBig smile 

Edited by simran1285 - 08 June 2007 at 7:23am

topgun11

IF-Sizzlerz

topgun11

Posted: 08 June 2007 at 7:36am | IP Logged
Originally posted by simran1285

I think people need to seriously grow up first the Richard Gere and Shilpa kiss now this, In the age of new technology and science where the children are more knowledgable and aware at a young age of the happenings in the world today we are creating a fuss over a child named sexy Confused ? If people are so concerned for their children how about getting rid of child prostitution first! which mind you is happening daily in India Ouch .

The children today are more sharp and witty I don't think such a thing as this should tamper with thier mindset or their future.

Another thing, I honestly believe the audience really didn't even care about the child being called sexy, it's the media that is creating this whole "controversy."

Just my 2 centsBig smile 

Absolutely....media always tries to create unnecessary controversies...when i have seen the movie myself...i havent felt anything of this sort..it was more fun actually...Tongue

nightangel

IF-Sizzlerz

nightangel

Posted: 08 June 2007 at 7:42am | IP Logged
d movie is so nice directed.. Embarrassed

lucky_lakshmi

IF-Sizzlerz

lucky_lakshmi

Posted: 08 June 2007 at 10:57am | IP Logged
We are plain orthodox. Nothing else to say to such a stupid controversy!

veracity

IF-Sizzlerz

veracity

Posted: 08 June 2007 at 11:01am | IP Logged
Originally posted by simran1285

Just my 2 centsBig smile 

Completely agree. Very well said. Media is creating sensationalised news for the sake of it when the real problems are overlooked.

priyankap

IF-Rockerz

priyankap

Posted: 08 June 2007 at 11:06am | IP Logged
Originally posted by lucky_lakshmi

We are plain orthodox. Nothing else to say to such a stupid controversy!

yup agree with u..
stupid controversy yaar...aisa bhi koi controvesy jisme naam ka objection ho!!!
stupid ppl

priya

monikameghan

monikameghan

Posted: 08 June 2007 at 3:24pm | IP Logged
Completely agree with all of you!! Tongue   You will not believe it but my five year old and three year old were watching KKHA. In this movie SRK's daughter Anjali calls her dadi Sexy. My kids started saying that after watching the movie without knowing even what it meant. When I asked them did they know what it meant they said it means you are looking good. My point is that you people are right that kids are much smarter these days then we were at their age. It is just media that makes the howa out of everything. Angry

Post Reply New Post

Go to top