MANSI JOSHI ROY

samie thumbnail
Posted: 19 years ago

I FOUND THIS INTERVIEW WITH NEW KKUSUM SO I POSTED IT. IT WAS HER FIRST INTERVIEW AFTER LANDING HER NEW JOB!!!!!

'Kkusum' must go on, Ekta believed. Her search for Nausheen Ali Sardar's replacement in Kkusum ended and the show is going on. Vickey Lalwani caught up with that girl... the new face of Kkusum- Manasi Joshi Roy.
Q: Is it a case of once an actor, always an actor?
Manasi: You can say that again! Well, I did want to come back for quite some time now, and there were many offers to but nothing as exciting. Prior to the break in my career, I had played a strong protagonist in 'Saaya'. I held center-stage. I didn't want to take up anything that is fluffy after that.
Q: But role that you have accepted, that of the protagonist Kkusum in 'Kkusum', isn't as meaty as it was before especially so after the 18 year fast forward?
Manasi: I can't comment on this. But I think that they know my capabilities as an actor. I told them that I wouldn't like to take up the role, if Kkusum is reduced to just another lead character. I made that point clear before I signed on the dotted line. I have been told that Kkusum will be doing many interesting things from here on.
Q: How did 'Kkusum' really happen?
Manasi: I took a maternity break two years ago. We, Rohit and I, have an 18-month olddaughter Kiara. Honestly speaking, I did tune into Kkusum only during the brief period when Rohit played Kkusum's husband Abhay. When the shows executive producer Saket called up to ask if I was interested, my only knowledge about the show was what I had read in the newspapers and heard from peers. I was aware that Nausheen was calling it quits and that the show was set 18 years ahead. Initially, I was reluctant to take up the part primarily because of the fast-forward. But Saket insisted that he planned to make it an interesting role and Ekta had specially asked him to speak to me. I still wasn't keen on playing a mom and asked him for some time. Meanwhile, Rohit said that I should seriously think about taking it up (smiles). And I agreed.
Not that I was convinced that I can look like a mother of an 18-year old, but I decided to let that go. When I finally said yes, Balaji Telefilms put me through the Kkusum salwar kameez and saree look and we discussed dates and remuneration.
Q: Was this your first interaction with Balaji?
Manasi: No, Balaji Telefilms have called me on a couple of occasions before this- just after my daughter was born- but things didn't worked out. They approached me for Karvachauth and a couple of other shows, recently.
Prior to that I was approached for Ghar Ek Mandir. Since it was just after my marriage, I didn't think that I would be able to devote that much time and refused the part. Anyway, I met up with the creative team and took a look at Kkusum's role and it seemed interesting. All this while Rohit continued to convince me. Thanks to him, I was able to understand the wide appeal of Kkusum.
Q: What was the unit's response?
Manasi: It was good. Being from the TV industry, I knew most of the people. And they are helping me in understanding certain nuances in my character, which can be overlooked at times.
Q: of course your lineage might have helped?
Manasi: I did come from theatre background. My dad Arvind Joshi is a writer, director and actor in Gujrati theatre. My mom was into acting. My brother is an actor as well. So you can say that acting was in my genes. I did my first professional play (Gujrati), under my dad's direction, when I was in college. And I guess that's why I never felt the need to join a professional training course in acting.
Q: Do you feel that the TV industry has changed in these two years?
Manasi: Not much except for one thing- speed. Earlier, the market was full of weeklies. Today, dailies have taken center-stage. In terms of physical and mental activity, the scenario is more taxing.
Q: But has the TV industry progressed?
Manasi: In terms of inputs and outputs, yes. I mean advertising, marketing, has become very aggressive. But I am sorry to say that the TV industry has regressed in terms of content. Is there nothing more to a woman's life than the 'Saas angle'? And what are these revenge dramas where decorated women go to high extremes to plot the downfall of anybody and everybody? Does this happen in real life? No, it doesn't. Then why not be real? Besides, their angst seems so contrived. Why are comedies so much over the top? Why don't we have s
omething like friends, which makes you laugh and go misty-eyed at the same time? Why are emotional dramas so high-pitched? The biggest things can be said subtly. Why are we hammering things? Why are actors being made to blow their lungs out? Above all, why there is so much less work for men?
Q: Would you prefer something like 'Jassi Jaissi Koi Nahin'?
Manasi: Hmmm... no. I don't think Jassi... is good enough. It's still about a woman. I would prefer something more subtle and innovative. Why don't we have a simple love story? Why don't we have something like Fraisier (Star World)? I think 'Astitva- Ek Prem Kahani' is pretty good too.
Q: So, who should bell the cat?
Manasi: Channels! I understand that business demands them to stick to what is running, but at the same time, there should be a small window left open for constant experimentation.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

patel2004 thumbnail

u got this off of www.setasia.tv, didnt u

Edited by vijay - 19 years ago
samie thumbnail