I won't play mum, wife roles, says Neena

RTee IF-Sizzlerz
RTee
RTee

Posted: 13 December 2004 at 12:58am | IP Logged
I won't play mum, wife roles, says Neena
   By: Shaheen Parkar
   December 13, 2004
------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------

Neena Gupta
Actress-turned-producer Neena Gupta makes a comeback on the small screen after a hiatus.

Those days of her relationships and extra-marital sagas, and as producer of soaps are over. She would prefer to stick to acting now.

Gupta's back in a role that appeals to her sensibilities.

She will star in Jassi Jaissi Koi Nahin (Sony) as Nandini Sharma, a public relations consultant, who sets out to help Armaan (Apoorva Agnihotri) in his fashion business and ends up being Jassi's friend, philosopher and guide.

"It's a smart character and not those usual mother, wife roles," says Gupta, last seen in Sanjhi (Zee) over two years ago.

"I received a call from the producers Deeya and Tony Singh and began shooting within three days," she adds.

"I loved their earlier serial Banegi Apni Baat (Zee). Also, my father is a big Jassi fan; he even watches the repeats. That was one more reason for me to do Jassi," adds Gupta.

She will appear in the soap starting tomorrow. "Nandini cares for other people's problems and is always helping people overcome emotional traumas. She bonds with Jassi instantly," adds Gupta about her character.

Away from TV, Gupta had returned to theatre with her Sahaj troupe, staging Surendra Verma's Surya Ki Antim Kiran Se Surya Ki Pehli Kiran Tak and later, the comic caper Dikhti Khoob Hai based on French dramatist Moliere's The School for Wives.

Incidentally, Gupta staged Surya Ki Antim... at the International Theatre Festival held in Lahore recently. The play is about an impotent king whose queen seeks sexual fulfillment outside marriage.

"We had two shows there. I was initially wary of the reaction as it takes on a bold theme. But it was very well appreciated," she says.

shaheen@mid-day.com

phalak Groupbie
phalak
phalak

Posted: 13 December 2004 at 3:58pm | IP Logged
       That is cute o Neena.Will be gr8 to see her on JJKN.
-misha IF-Sizzlerz
-misha
-misha

Posted: 13 December 2004 at 8:43pm | IP Logged
I WOULD LIKE TO SEE NEENA IN JASSI
dolly1211 Goldie
dolly1211
dolly1211

Posted: 13 December 2004 at 10:54pm | IP Logged
who is Neena?
surnita Goldie
surnita
surnita

Posted: 14 December 2004 at 5:22am | IP Logged
So whos responsible for Jassi makeover?  Neena character or that supermodel?
Minnie IF-Rockerz
Minnie
Minnie

Posted: 14 December 2004 at 7:18am | IP Logged
             It has to be Neena.She seems perfect for the role.
Minnie IF-Rockerz
Minnie
Minnie

Posted: 14 December 2004 at 7:37am | IP Logged

Originally posted by dolly1211

who is Neena?

Neena Gupta is an accomplished television actress,producer and director.She first rose to fame with an Indian serial called 'Khandaan' which had a very bold theme.But she became a household name with 'Saans' which she produced ,directed and acted.It was a beautiful serial on extramarital affair,very well scripted and beautifully told.Neena Gupta played the jilted wife with Kanwaljeet Singh playing her husband.The lady who played Rewa in 'kitty Party'  was Manisha,the other woman.

She is very apt in playing all kinds of roles,her one of the best negative potrayal is in Mahesh Bhatt's 'Daddy' where she played Anupam Kher's bitchy wife who refuses to divorce him,ruining him in the process.

However,she created sensation in India when she broke all norms of the conservative Indian Society and chose to bear a child out of wedlock.The father of the baby was the swashbuckling West Indian batsman Vivian Richards.Masaba,her daughter,is now 16 years old.Neena Gupta never married. 

She danced with Madhuri Dixit in the song 'Choli ke peeche kya hai' in Khalnayak.

It will be good to see her in JJKN.  

mango Global Moderator
mango
mango

Posted: 14 December 2004 at 4:55pm | IP Logged
do u guys have her picture

Go to top