Ask the chef, ask now (Page 23)

Post Reply New Post

Page 23 of 27

farishta12

IF-Dazzler

farishta12

Posted: 30 July 2012 at 7:43pm | IP Logged
Hi Smile
anyone knows burfi or barfi recipe, the white burfi i thinks its made of milk?
(i really want to know the recipe... i dont have any store of indian sweets where i live
Unhappy
Anyone can help me please? Big smile

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Ask the chef, ask now (Page 23)" in Food, Drinks & Recipes forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Mysterygirl_me

IF-Rockerz

Mysterygirl_me

BollyCurry Buzzer

Posted: 01 August 2012 at 2:55am | IP Logged
Originally posted by farista12

Hi Smile
(i really want to know the recipe... i dont have any store of indian sweets where i live
Unhappy

Ingredients• For basic burfi/barfi: 
• 200 gm. Khoya or Mawa 1 / Khoya or Mawa 2. 
• 200 gm. sugar, can use less if desired. 
• Approximately 1 tbs. chopped pistachio for garnish (optional) 
• Chopped pistachios or almonds, optional 
• Edible silver leaves/varak optional (beaten silver leaves)-make sure they are vegetarian* 
• 100-125 ml. water 
• A metal or Pyrex tray, greased with a little ghee/clarified butter

Instructions1. Mash or grate khoya. Cook it in a heated wok or karahi, until it becomes pink…ish in colour and comes off the edges of the pan. Keep aside in a metal or heat proof bowl. 
2. Bring water to boil add sugar and stir to dissolve. Boil briskly until 3 wire consistency is obtained. 
3. Pour over the mawa, mix quickly and turn out on to the greased tray. 
4. Spread with a spatula, to approximately 2 cm. thickness. Even out with wetted fingers (to stop sticking). 
5. Sprinkle pistachio/almonds, if used, and press gently into the khoya. 
6. Put silver sheets on top gently, covering most of the surface. These come with a paper backing. You simply place each sheet on the burfi/barfi, silver side down and peel off the paper. 
7. Cut burfies/barfies in diamond or square shapes when cool and store in an airtight box. 

8. Chocolate burfi/barfi 
9. Dissolve 3-4 tsp. cocoa powder in 1 tsp. of water or milk, before you start cooking. Keep it aside, ready. 
10. Cook as basic burfi/barfi recipe until step 3. Add chocolate to mawa/sugar syrup mix and mix well. Make burfies/barfies in a tray, following step 4-7 of basic recipe. 

11. Burfi/barfi with double or triple colours 
12. Dissolve orange and green colours of Indian flag or other colours of choice) in a tiny amount of water each, according to the instructions on packet/bottle and keep aside separately. 
13. Follow up to step 3 of basic burfi/barfi and then divide the burfi/barfi mix in 3 portions. 
14. Add 2 colours to 2 portions and keep 3rd one colour free. You can add flavours too, if you want. 
15. Spread one colour portion on a tray to a thickness of 0.5 cm. Then add the white layer and then the third layer on top. You can choose any combination of colours and flavour. 
16. Allow to cool and cut into shapes as before. 

17. Almond burfi/barfi (also see Almond Burfi: 
18. You need 100-150 gm. ground almonds (powder) for this. Cook as basic burfi/barfi until step 3. 
19. Now add ground almonds and mix well. 
20. Follow step 4-7 of basic recipe. 

21. Pistachio burfi/barfi: 
22. You will need 50-70 gm. finely chopped pistachio (unsalted). 
23. Add to Khoya mix after step 3. Make burfi/barfi as in step 4-7. 
24. Coconut burfi/barfi: 
25. Dry fry approximately 500 gm. of desiccated coconuts or grated flesh of 2 coconuts. 
26. Add to fried khoya and sugar mix at step 3 of basic burfi/barfi. 
27. Follow step 4-7 of basic recipe. 
28. Allow to cool and cut into diamond or square shapes. 
29. Other varieties and flavours can be made using the same recipe.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

farishta12FindingShak

farishta12

IF-Dazzler

farishta12

Posted: 01 August 2012 at 11:11am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Mysterygirl_me

Hi Smile
Unhappy

Ingredients' For basic burfi/barfi: 
' 200 gm. Khoya or Mawa 1 / Khoya or Mawa 2. 
' 200 gm. sugar, can use less if desired. 
' Approximately 1 tbs. chopped pistachio for garnish (optional) 
' Chopped pistachios or almonds, optional 
' Edible silver leaves/varak optional (beaten silver leaves)-make sure they are vegetarian* 
' 100-125 ml. water 
' A metal or Pyrex tray, greased with a little ghee/clarified butter

Instructions1. Mash or grate khoya. Cook it in a heated wok or karahi, until it becomes pink'ish in colour and comes off the edges of the pan. Keep aside in a metal or heat proof bowl. 
2. Bring water to boil add sugar and stir to dissolve. Boil briskly until 3 wire consistency is obtained. 
4. Spread with a spatula, to approximately 2 cm. thickness. Even out with wetted fingers (to stop sticking). 
6. Put silver sheets on top gently, covering most of the surface. These come with a paper backing. You simply place each sheet on the burfi/barfi, silver side down and peel off the paper. 
7. Cut burfies/barfies in diamond or square shapes when cool and store in an airtight box. 

8. Chocolate burfi/barfi 
9. Dissolve 3-4 tsp. cocoa powder in 1 tsp. of water or milk, before you start cooking. Keep it aside, ready. 
10. Cook as basic burfi/barfi recipe until step 3. Add chocolate to mawa/sugar syrup mix and mix well. Make burfies/barfies in a tray, following step 4-7 of basic recipe. 

12. Dissolve orange and green colours of Indian flag or other colours of choice) in a tiny amount of water each, according to the instructions on packet/bottle and keep aside separately. 
13. Follow up to step 3 of basic burfi/barfi and then divide the burfi/barfi mix in 3 portions. 
14. Add 2 colours to 2 portions and keep 3rd one colour free. You can add flavours too, if you want. 
15. Spread one colour portion on a tray to a thickness of 0.5 cm. Then add the white layer and then the third layer on top. You can choose any combination of colours and flavour. 

18. You need 100-150 gm. ground almonds (powder) for this. Cook as basic burfi/barfi until step 3. 

24. Coconut burfi/barfi: 
25. Dry fry approximately 500 gm. of desiccated coconuts or grated flesh of 2 coconuts. 

Thank you so much for replying me Big smile but I have one problem i live in portugal and i dont have khoya or mawa to make it and i was searching in the net that to make mawa i have to spend hours in the kitchen boiling milk Confused So do you have any recipe made with milk powder?
Im so sorry for troubling you Confused

Mysterygirl_me

IF-Rockerz

Mysterygirl_me

BollyCurry Buzzer

Posted: 01 August 2012 at 1:38pm | IP Logged

Hi Smile
Unhappy

' Edible silver leaves/varak optional (beaten silver leaves)-make sure they are vegetarian* 
' 100-125 ml. water 

Instructions1. Mash or grate khoya. Cook it in a heated wok or karahi, until it becomes pink'ish in colour and comes off the edges of the pan. Keep aside in a metal or heat proof bowl. 

8. Chocolate burfi/barfi 

24. Coconut burfi/barfi: 

Thank you so much for replying me Big smile but I have one problem i live in portugal and i dont have khoya or mawa to make it and i was searching in the net that to make mawa i have to spend hours in the kitchen boiling milk Confused So do you have any recipe made with milk powder?

Yes here's the recipe, just replace the mawa/khoya with milk powder Big smile

Ingredients
14 oz/397 g. or 5 measuring cups, mawa powder or klim milk powder, or any milk powder that is available
3 sticks or 375g. butter 
1 cup milk
1 and 1/4 cup sugar
1 cup almond powder
1 tablespoon cardamom (elachi) (ground)
2 teaspoons nutmeg (ground)
A pinch of salt
1 tsp. rose essence (optional)

Method
 Sieve the milk powder to remove lumps
 Use a pot with a heavy base. on medium heat, melt butter; add milk & then sugar. These steps can be blended together. Mix, stir frequently. Wait for it to rise up & boil
Lower heat and allow to cook another 1-2 minutes. Lower heat & gradually add milk powder 
Stir and let it mix well with the other ingredients, about 3-5 minutes. It should be a thick consistency and not stick to the pot. The bubbles will indicate that it is done and it will easily pull away from the edge of the pot. Take care to ensure it does not brown at the bottom 
Add almond powder, salt, and flavorings. Put into tray to set. Smooth top with back of spoon or spatula. Add colorful almonds and gently press.
When it is firm, a few hours later, slice into pieces and serve.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

farishta12

farishta12

IF-Dazzler

farishta12

Posted: 01 August 2012 at 2:13pm | IP Logged

Hi Smile
Unhappy

' 100-125 ml. water 

8. Chocolate burfi/barfi 

24. Coconut burfi/barfi: 

Yes here's the recipe, just replace the mawa/khoya with milk powder Big smile

Ingredients
14 oz/397 g. or 5 measuring cups, mawa powder or klim milk powder, or any milk powder that is available
3 sticks or 375g. butter 
1 cup milk
1 and 1/4 cup sugar
1 cup almond powder
1 tablespoon cardamom (elachi) (ground)
2 teaspoons nutmeg (ground)
A pinch of salt
1 tsp. rose essence (optional)

Method
 Sieve the milk powder to remove lumps
 Use a pot with a heavy base. on medium heat, melt butter; add milk & then sugar. These steps can be blended together. Mix, stir frequently. Wait for it to rise up & boil
Lower heat and allow to cook another 1-2 minutes. Lower heat & gradually add milk powder 
Stir and let it mix well with the other ingredients, about 3-5 minutes. It should be a thick consistency and not stick to the pot. The bubbles will indicate that it is done and it will easily pull away from the edge of the pot. Take care to ensure it does not brown at the bottom 
Add almond powder, salt, and flavorings. Put into tray to set. Smooth top with back of spoon or spatula. Add colorful almonds and gently press.
When it is firm, a few hours later, slice into pieces and serve.
Wow thank you so much!! Big smile
I will try this recipe in this weekend and this all thanks to you
Wink
Hmmm Burfiii <3 LOL

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Mysterygirl_me

gutter

gutter

Posted: 09 September 2012 at 3:20pm | IP Logged
yummy

heena88

Goldie

heena88

Posted: 25 September 2012 at 9:32pm | IP Logged
Hello
hey anyone knows how to make choclates at home with coco powder?
Is there a need of water too ?
I had chcked many sites some of them suggest to add water while others not.

And is there a need to add flour too?

-Sapna-

-Sapna-

Posted: 31 October 2012 at 9:24pm | IP Logged
Does anyone know of a recipe for Eggless Mango Cake? Everytime I try to make something without eggs it always goes flat and isn't light and fluffy. 
Thanks!Thumbs Up

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Food, Drinks & Recipes Topic Index

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.