Computers, Science, Technology

India-Forums

Newbie Question Re:Vista :(

IBserenity IF-Rockerz
IBserenity
IBserenity

Posted: 17 May 2007 at 12:35pm | IP Logged

Hi,

Well, I'm not REALLY a newbie newbie...i mean i've been on computers more than half my life...but I've always used Win98, Win2000, and Currently WinXP...so now that I'm getting a new laptop, it seems that they are all coming with Windows Vista Premium...Confused There is no other option in most casesOuch

I've read online abt Vista on Frenkenreview...and found some of the reviews and facts abt Vista very helpful.

The problem now is that some of the software on my XP (that I plan to transfer to the Vista) is not compatible with Vista...Yes, there are newer versions of those softwares available but that doesn't mean that I will go out and buy all new versions of software that I already have (and am quite happy with).

So, the question is that should I go ahead with Vista (cuz eventually will have to upgrade sometime or another) or look for XP compatible laptop?

Plz help!

~Serenity

albusdumbledore IF-Dazzler
albusdumbledore
albusdumbledore

Posted: 17 May 2007 at 8:48pm | IP Logged
hi serenity,

point no.1 is that if your laptop is Vista compatible then it is automatically XP compatible... what you can do is partition your disk on your Laptop and then do a install of XP on your other partition... i.e. dual boot between Vista and XP... voila all your troubles are solved...

secondly... many softwares do allow for free upgrades.... when newer versions come out.... be sure to check with your provider for the same before making any decision.

if I can be of any more helpo feel free to post back here.

tejas
IBserenity IF-Rockerz
IBserenity
IBserenity

Posted: 18 May 2007 at 8:25am | IP Logged

Originally posted by albusdumbledore

hi serenity,

point no.1 is that if your laptop is Vista compatible then it is automatically XP compatible... what you can do is partition your disk on your Laptop and then do a install of XP on your other partition... i.e. dual boot between Vista and XP... voila all your troubles are solved...

secondly... many softwares do allow for free upgrades.... when newer versions come out.... be sure to check with your provider for the same before making any decision.

if I can be of any more helpo feel free to post back here.

tejas

hmm...ok well will partitioning the hard drive effect my RAM performance? The RAM that I'm considering right now is 1GB DDR2 SDRAM....

I read that Vista needs at least 1GB to work efficiently. Especially with all the glass theme going on. So, if partitioning will compromise the RAM performance...then i'm screwed.Dead

i already looked at the upgrades for the softwares...sadly most of them have some price for upgradeOuch. And I'm not a big fan of the limewire versions lolz...

Umm, anyway, let me knw!

~Serenity

albusdumbledore IF-Dazzler
albusdumbledore
albusdumbledore

Posted: 08 June 2007 at 7:10am | IP Logged
NO vista is a resource Hog... if you disable Aero n run it... then 1 GB is fine but if you're planning to keep aero then u need atleast 1.5 to 2 GIGS of RAM.... to be on the safer side... also if you're going to be running critical processes on your system then I suggest you don't go in for vista. its not as stable as compared to XP... I speak from personal experiences... Individual opinions may change from person to person.

If you can get XP i suggest you go for XP rather than upgrade to vista... seriously Vista is not worth the headache it comes with. atleast not now.....

regards,

Tejas
  • Page 1 of 1

Go to top