Computers, Science, Technology

Vista Activation Hack

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

X-rebel

IF-Dazzler

X-rebel

Posted: 09 May 2007 at 1:07pm | IP Logged
This techniqoe was given in the TimesOfIndia Website and is not an illegal thing to do according to Microsoft's Eand User Liesence Agreement.

So I request the mods not to delete the topic.

http://infotech.indiatimes.com/Enterprise/Security/Vista_act ivation_can_be_bypassed/articleshow/1772179.cms

Here's a step-by-step guide into Livingston's finding:

Step 1: While running a copy of Windows Vista that hasn't yet been activated, click the Start button, type regedit into the Search box, then press Enter to launch the Registry Editor.

Step 2: Explore down to the following Registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ SL

Step 3 : Right-click the Registry key named SkipRearm and click Edit. The default is a Dword (a double word or 4 bytes) with a hex value of 00000000. Change this value to any positive integer, such as 00000001, save the change, and close the Registry Editor.

Step 4: Start a command prompt with administrative rights. The fastest way to do this is to click the Start button, enter cmd in the Search box, then press Ctrl+Shift+Enter. If you're asked for a network username and password, provide the ones that log you into your domain. You may be asked to approve a User Account Control prompt and to provide an administrator password.

Step 5:  Type one of the following two commands and press Enter:slmgr –rearm or rundll32 slc.dll,SLReArmWindows

Either command uses Vista's built-in Software Licensing Manager (SLMGR) to push the activation deadline out to 30 days after the command is run. Changing SkipRearm from 0 to 1 allows SLMGR to do this an indefinite number of times. Running either command initializes the value of SkipRearm back to 0.

Step 6: Reboot the PC to make the postponement take effect. (After you log in, if you like, you can open a command prompt and run the command slmgr -xpr to see Vista's new expiration date and time.)

Step 7: To extend the activation deadline of Vista indefinitely, repeat steps 1 through 6 as necessary. Livingston's also got a caveat for the prospective Vista buyers, "If you happen to buy a Vista PC from a little-known seller, and the price was too good to be true, use Vista's search function to look for the string SkipRearm in files. You may discover that your "bargain" computer will mysteriously start demanding activation in a year or two — but your product key won't be valid." 

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Vista Activation Hack" in Computers, Science, Technology forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

X-rebel

IF-Dazzler

X-rebel

Posted: 09 May 2007 at 1:08pm | IP Logged

vijay

Admin Group

vijay

Site Admin

Posted: 13 May 2007 at 12:09am | IP Logged
Well its an interesting find. But as per Microsoft they do termed it as a Hack.

But one thing good about the whole thing is that the buyers of original software has to be more aware.

If you read the last para of the article on Times:
Livingston's also got a caveat for the prospective Vista buyers, "If you happen to buy a Vista PC from a little-known seller, and the price was too good to be true, use Vista's search function to look for the string SkipRearm in files. You may discover that your "bargain" computer will mysteriously start demanding activation in a year or two — but your product key won't be valid."

So buyers BEWARE!

X-rebel

IF-Dazzler

X-rebel

Posted: 13 May 2007 at 10:36pm | IP Logged
@Vijay
Did i post anything illegal? Or do you think doing the above trick in our own computer is illegal?

@Tejas
No offense meant friend.

vijay

Admin Group

vijay

Site Admin

Posted: 13 May 2007 at 11:32pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by X-rebel

@Vijay
Did i post anything illegal? Or do you think doing the above trick in our own computer is illegal?

Well I think instead of posting the complete hack we can simply link to the actual article. Since Microsoft reserves the right to change its EULA and other terms of service document so you can never be sure if you are on the wrong foot.

Well if you are using a licensed copy and doing this hack just for fun then its not illegal but otherwise its illegal. But I do not understand if one is hving a genuine Vista will still be using this method.

I hope you are gettinng the message...

Cheers,
Vijay

X-rebel

IF-Dazzler

X-rebel

Posted: 14 May 2007 at 5:53am | IP Logged
Ok, Vijay got your point Smile

@Tejas
U will be very happy after reading that i agreed Wink

Edited by X-rebel - 14 May 2007 at 5:54am

albusdumbledore